Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 130
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.
    Depends on circumstances and training. I do not carry when riding in Oregon, but I understand there are those that do. On the other hand, I was raised in rural Alaska and have spent thousands of hours working in dense bear country. I do carry a gun (12ga or ti .44, depending on circumstances) in bear country. I've never used it, but I did narrowly avoid a serious mauling attack about ten years ago and would have shot the bear if I had the gun instead of my partner who flubbed it and came within about 1 foot of the attack(long story). Still, I wouldnt recommend one to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I also have little tolerance for the trigger happy types and appreciate it when they get cited. Bottom line--it's a perfectly reasonable precaution for the right people in the right circumstances.

  2. #77
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,672
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.
    Taurus and S&W make shockingly light weight titanium revolvers in a variety of calibers. They can be easily carried in a shoulder harness that puts them on your chest or on the side of your ribs. It's about as annoying as a camelback. Personally I've never felt the need for one in Oregon, but that's how I carry in AK bear country.

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    983
    All I read was something about "heat in the bush".mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. Pathetic was a strong word...maybe unfortunate would have been more appropriate.
    You and I both agree on the subject of that fool/idiot. That is one of the many reasons I converted to bow hunting. But then any fool who shoots a gun without knowing his target and backstop should not be carrying a gun. Let that fool/idiot carry pepper spray.

    There is no stopping fools and idiots from harming others regardless of what is posted up here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.
    It depends on what and how you choose to carry. My 13 oz 357 is so light it does not impact my activities in any way. But it is not a gun for those with soft hands! You must practice with any defensive weapon to be effective!
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.
    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    807
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.



    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.
    IIRC, both of those cases were hunters, not people carrying for protection. You can read the reports in the State Police bulletins on line. (neither one of the parties involved mentioned reading about xyz on a forum either.)

    Just so we are clear, I agree that there are some people who should not carry firearms. My wife is one of those people. That is why she carries pepper spray.

    Those of us who take on the responsibility to carry a firearm full time are usually the ones who take firearms very seriously. I personally practice with every firearm I carry on a regular basis. There is far more to responsible firearms handling than most people really know.

    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    IIRC, both of those cases were hunters, not people carrying for protection. You can read the reports in the State Police bulletins on line. (neither one of the parties involved mentioned reading about xyz on a forum either.)

    Just so we are clear, I agree that there are some people who should not carry firearms. My wife is one of those people. That is why she carries pepper spray.

    Those of us who take on the responsibility to carry a firearm full time are usually the ones who take firearms very seriously. I personally practice with every firearm I carry on a regular basis. There is far more to responsible firearms handling than most people really know.

    I agree 100% with everything you said here, but I'll play devils advocate for the sake of dialogue. First we don't know who read what where or what influenced their decision making. The guy who thought he was shooting at a cougar was not hunting he was camping and drunk. The boy who thought he shot the bear lady was hunting yes, but for deer. Don't know about you, but deer look very different than bears and bears look very different than people. Doesn't it stand to reason that a hunter would have more gun training than the person who thinks he needs a gun for protection against cougars while mountain biking in Oregon.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jlive465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6
    Moving to Bend next week and Wild animals do scare me a little , but people with firearms scare me to death!! I have a hand gun but would never consider packing it with me while riding. Now doing some backwoods camping/hiking thats a different story. I'm usually alone with my dog.I totally agree being familiar with your weapons is key also guns don't kill, people do!! Also its not that easy to get a concealed weapons permit in the state of Oregon. Many hoops have to be jumped through(which isn't a bad thing) Now Idaho thats a different story!! WildWest right there!! lol Cheers !!

  11. #86
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlive465 View Post
    Moving to Bend next week and Wild animals do scare me a little , but people with firearms scare me to death!!
    Bend must be about the safest place on earth for both concerns.

  12. #87
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Bend must be about the safest place on earth for both concerns.
    Agreed, especially the wild animal part. In all my years riding in Bend, all I've ever seen are about 10 total coyotes; several mule deer; and a blue grouse.

    I wonder why there are no black bears here? If you look at a map of their range, the central Cascades are pretty much the only part of the state without them. Odd.

  13. #88
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Agreed, especially the wild animal part. In all my years riding in Bend, all I've ever seen are about 10 total coyotes; several mule deer; and a blue grouse.

    I wonder why there are no black bears here? If you look at a map of their range, the central Cascades are pretty much the only part of the state without them. Odd.
    I wouldn't mind the bears. Guns are fun when used in the right place and safely, not near trails. Sometimes you can hear shooting arpund Phil's. Not good....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  14. #89
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,672
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the bears. Guns are fun when used in the right place and safely, not near trails. Sometimes you can hear shooting arpund Phil's. Not good....
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.

  15. #90
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Nothing wrong with the ranges, but the Budweisered-up hunters doing their best Elmer Fudd impersonations is another matter entirely!

  16. #91
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Agreed Nat. I personally have shot at the range by Conklin Road. It is really well bunkered!!! Agree with DF about the drunk hunters!!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  17. #92
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,672
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Nothing wrong with the ranges, but the Budweisered-up hunters doing their best Elmer Fudd impersonations is another matter entirely!
    Hopefully the "drunk hunter" is mostly stereotype. The hunters I've known were pretty responsible people and knew enough to not drink and shoot (or shoot near a major biking/hiking trail).

    "Person who just got a gun recently and didn't bother to learn about gun safety" is a bigger concern.

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Hopefully the "drunk hunter" is mostly stereotype. The hunters I've known were pretty responsible people and knew enough to not drink and shoot (or shoot near a major biking/hiking trail).

    "Person who just got a gun recently and didn't bother to learn about gun safety" is a bigger concern.
    I agree that it is a convenient stereotype for non hunters to cling to. I stopped at the park where my kids were having a play date with 4 other families on my way home from elk camp. I was flat out exhausted from putting in 16 hour days in the mountains. I said hello to the moms and told my wife I was exhausted and just wanted to see them. Another mom says "Too much drinking in elk camp, typical." I just smiled at her and said "it is hard to drink too much after spending 16 hours covering 5,000 vertical feet in the mountains. The only thing we saw after hunting was dinner and a sleeping bag."

    I may be on the opposite extreme but I don't think I have ever run into a hunter in the field, not driving a road, with a beer in his hand. But then in the last 6 years of hunting where I hunt I have only run into 2 other hunters.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  19. #94
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,672
    Somehow I don't think any real hunter would go hunting in Phil's triangle.

    A person shooting a gun in the woods isn't necessarily a hunter any more than a person who rides a mountain bike across a parking lot is a mountain biker.

  20. #95
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Somehow I don't think any real hunter would go hunting in Phil's triangle.

    A person shooting a gun in the woods isn't necessarily a hunter any more than a person who rides a mountain bike across a parking lot is a mountain biker.
    I hear Willem is running a secret meth lab "in the canyon". Could be his guns a blazin' you hear.

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    speaking of hunting, etc., 3 elk ran across my path as I was heading up Flagline Tie today. Made me wonder what got them so excited. Thought maybe some other riders, but I saw no one. Then, of course, I thought of this thread and cougars. Little hard to focus on the trail for a while, but that was the last wildlife I saw.
    BTW, when does hunting season start up there? Do I need to get myself a blaze orange jersey soon?

  22. #97
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,532
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    speaking of hunting, etc., 3 elk ran across my path as I was heading up Flagline Tie today. Made me wonder what got them so excited
    Maybe the sound of you biking?

  23. #98
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I hear Willem is running a secret meth lab "in the canyon". Could be his guns a blazin' you hear.
    Great source of CASH!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    BTW, when does hunting season start up there? Do I need to get myself a blaze orange jersey soon?
    Bow season is currently underway

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Maybe the sound of you biking?
    I don't think so. They were in full flight as I was approaching and were running right to left not away. Could have been anything that spooked them, but blood thirsty cougar makes a much better story -- 'course then I probably would have seen the cat too. Rabid squirrel?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •