Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bear sighting on Jedi

It was last Tuesday at the end of the Jedi, on the dirt road just before you drop into the Onion Mtn trail. It was about 30 yards up from the yellow gate, and I was the same distance in front of the gate. It was ambling away from me, so I did the rational thing and tried to get closer. It heard me, stopped, watched me as I tried to get my phone out for a photo op, and then ducked off the road into the underbrush. I got a great photo of the underbrush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Consider that you're not always spinning fast and proud with your chest feathers puffed... if you're sweating, grunting, and slowly working your way up a grueling climb you could very well seem like an incredibly weakened, tasty treat.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by dontomas View Post
    It was last Tuesday at the end of the Jedi, on the dirt road just before you drop into the Onion Mtn trail. It was about 30 yards up from the yellow gate, and I was the same distance in front of the gate. It was ambling away from me, so I did the rational thing and tried to get closer. It heard me, stopped, watched me as I tried to get my phone out for a photo op, and then ducked off the road into the underbrush. I got a great photo of the underbrush.
    Bears are a dime a dozen, especially near the Gorge. They are afraid of their own shadows.

I might, however, have just a tad bit of anal leakage (anyone remember Olestra??) if I saw a big cat. Scary!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I for one think it would be an absolute privilege to see a big cat in the wild. I have seen just about very animal known to man in N America except for sasquatch and a Mountain Lion. I have come upon fresh kills, fresh scat, and even some dens but have never had the privilege of seeing one. I also think it would be far less pucker factor than crossing paths with a grizzly in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Its always good to pack heat when your in the bush. I am a avid fisherman, spending lots of time on remote rivers with a high cat population. They say the average full grown cat can kill 50 elk a year. They are extremely smart predators.

You will never see a cougar stalking you from behind..

I got a stainless SW 9mm with Hollow jackets just for this reason.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by DShore View Post
    Its always good to pack heat when your in the bush. I am a avid fisherman, spending lots of time on remote rivers with a high cat population. They say the average full grown cat can kill 50 elk a year. They are extremely smart predators.

Wouldn't you be safer just cowering in your closet or basement? Seems cheaper than buying "heat", no? And the cat wouldn't have to pay the ultimate price.

mtbr member

How ya gonna shoot what you never see? Just say'n.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Say you run into a wild ferocious dog, cougar, and you turn the other way and continue to get followed, all out chase ensues.. Heat can save your life. Ive been chased by wild dogs in VA off the Appalachian trail, and on a quad in treacherous terrain in baja, mexico.

Afric Pepperbird
    Say you run into a wild ferocious dog, cougar, and you turn the other way and continue to get followed, all out chase ensues.. Heat can save your life. Ive been chased by wild dogs in VA off the Appalachian trail, and on a quad in treacherous terrain in baja, mexico.
    I'm sorry, you're in the wrong state.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The wife had a face to face with a very large cat last weekend. She was @ 1mile into her run in the watershed. She rounded a corner and came to a sudden stop 20' from a 6' cat. She said they both stood there looking at each other for quite a while. She was just thinking how beautiful it was when it crouched down like it was going to attack. She started waving her arms, yelling and walking backwards. The cat started creeping towards her so she started spraying pepper spray. She didn't hit the cat and it still kept coming at her as she was backing up. It finally got a hit of the pepper spray and took off.

I don't care if you want to see a cat and feel like it shouldn't be harmed. Any 6' cat that shows that kind of aggression is going to be a problem for someone. My wife got lucky she had the pepper spray. Another woman running that trail may not be so lucky.

I carry a firearm or bow and a cougar tag when I am in that area. If I see that cat I will kill it if I can get a clean shot. FWIW, the ODFW biologist I spoke with recommended that action for an aggressive cat.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow.. What a story...

Prime example of why its smart to carry heat in the Bush.. I fish on 2 large private ranches on the Oregon coast and was warned by landowners that I was a fool for fishing solo without heat.. In this case there is a 160-180lb Cat roaming both ranches..

mtbr member
    fish, hunt, carry heat, or ride your bike!
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have a bit of a question, if you're carrying pepper spray, horn or even a gun, where do you keep it? I can't help but feel I would need very quick access to that if a situation arose. If I have it in my pack with my other stuff, I have to get my pack off and unzipped, etc to get it out to use.

Is it more of just, better to have with you than not, regardless?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    The wife had a face to face with a very large cat last weekend. She was @ 1mile into her run in the watershed. She rounded a corner and came to a sudden stop 20' from a 6' cat.
    You mean the Bend Watershed, like in the Flagline area? The way I climb, I am sure I look like a wounded animal of some sort. Hmmm ... never really had an interest in being on the evening news, especially postmortem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    You mean the Bend Watershed, like in the Flagline area? The way I climb, I am sure I look like a wounded animal of some sort. Hmmm ... never really had an interest in being on the evening news, especially postmortem.
    No, sorry I should have been more specific. She was on FS 2060 in the Ashland watershed.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcanride View Post
    fish, hunt, carry heat, or ride your bike!
    Actually I do all of the above often at the same time. Just because I ride a bike does not mean I can't enjoy other activities as well. One of the benefits of getting older is knowing that joy can be found in many forms as well as single forms.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.
    What difference do odds make if you're the woman who came face to face with an aggressive 6' cat? Odds meant (and mean) nothing to her, nor would they have meant anything to you or me if we'd been in her place. Situation is not pathetic. If you don't want to pack heat, then don't. Responsible people packing heat don't threaten you. In fact you don't ever know who they are or how often you're amongst them. It's not like they're brandishing.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Carried away? That is a laugh! Irrational fear? Ask my wife if her fear was irrational. No, that cat would have been on her if she had not had her pepper spray. I have also had face to face encounters with bear at very early morning hours. Because I was prepared, armed, I could focus on getting out of the situation no matter how the animal acted. If you are in the woods as much as our family is, it is a matter of when it will happen, not if.

FWIW,

I for one carry an air compressor, spare belts, hoses and parts in my truck. Am I paranoid? No, I am prepared. I have saved more peoples tails by being prepared than my own. When a fellow off roader is broken down 60 miles from no where because his front brake caliper bolts loosened and were lost did he call me pathetic when I handed him replacement bolts? Nope, he and his wife thanked me profusely.

Just remind me that I am paranoid when you need help on the trail. I'll leave you to your own devices...

Ps: I have also had a wild albino Canadian Lynx steal my trout then climb in my lap for some loving. I have also been touched by lightning. So what are my odds now?
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    What difference do odds make if you're the woman who came face to face with an aggressive 6' cat? Odds meant (and mean) nothing to her, nor would they have meant anything to you or me if we'd been in her place. Situation is not pathetic. If you don't want to pack heat, then don't. Responsible people packing heat don't threaten you. In fact you don't ever know who they are or how often you're amongst them. It's not like they're brandishing.

--sParty
    While we don't truly know the circumstances of the woman/pepper spray encounter, I would say odds do have a very real impact on the world we live in and the decisions we make. And I suspect your no exception to this. I grew up hunting and fishing and have zero issues with guns. I have infact even ridden with people "packing heat" due to packs of ferrell dogs in Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania. I have also spent lots of time in close proximity to bears and wolves backpacking in Alaska armed with only my wits and knowledge of the animals. I think it is a bad idea to scare people and sent them outdoors with a fire arm in place of common sense and knowledge of their environment. What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. Pathetic was a strong word...maybe unfortunate would have been more appropriate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post

FWIW,

I for one carry an air compressor, spare belts, hoses and parts in my truck. Am I paranoid?
    No but your analogy is! I think there is a pill for that

mtbr member
    I rode in the woods on the east side and the west side for years, never had any issues. Question for me is - how in the heck are you gonna get your heat out when a cat has its jaws fixed on your skull? Ridic. A knife would be more handy, and you prob wouldn't shoot yourself in the process.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    I have a bit of a question, if you're carrying pepper spray, horn or even a gun, where do you keep it? I can't help but feel I would need very quick access to that if a situation arose. If I have it in my pack with my other stuff, I have to get my pack off and unzipped, etc to get it out to use.

Is it more of just, better to have with you than not, regardless?
    When dealing with bears, and I suspect cougars are similar, those items are useless unless they can be accessed instantaneously. Most true bear attacks, as opposed to posturing and bluff charges, happen within less than a couple of seconds of coming into contact with a bear and often before you are even aware the bear is there. If you are going to carry, pick up a shoulder harness, which will keep the gun or pepper spray close but out of the way.

meatier showers
    ... I would say odds do have a very real impact on the world we live in and the decisions we make. And I suspect your no exception to this. ...
    I may be an exception to the odds... hope not... the future will tell. Fly Rod's wife was an exception to the odds. Odds only matter in a 'general population' sort of way, not to the specific individuals who are on the wrong side of percentages.

... I think it is a bad idea to scare people and sent them outdoors with a fire arm in place of common sense and knowledge of their environment. What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. ...
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    The "ODDS" thing is funny. Take the entire population and tally that up with cougar sightings? Does the entire population comb the woods every other day?

Like aircraft crashes... I fly on an airliner once every couple years. If someone is on one every other day, their odds are higher than mine.
    Bend, Oregon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast