Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    highly visible
    I agree, that cat is the size of a tiger, not a cougar.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

ronbo613
    That pic can't be real. That thing is the size of the sabertooth tiger!
    Yes, that does look a little unrealistic.

By the way, I'd love to see one on the trail, from a safe distance.
    I've only seen one; a medium sized(35-45lbs.) cat that jumped out of the woods on the trail and ran in front of me for about twenty yards. It was getting dark and the animals tend to start moving around at dusk or a little before. I'm sure there are plenty of them around, bears as well. You can see bears fairly regularly, seeing a cougar is uncommon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cats and dogs on the trail, what's the difference? Just say no in a firm but non aggressive voice and carry some treats with you. They respond well to food. Or maybe give it a blast of water from your water bottle. Cats totally hate getting wet! If you get bit it's probably because you are not a cat person and don't know how to act around unleashed cats.

Sometimes I say stupid things

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw View Post
    Cats and dogs on the trail, what's the difference? Just say no in a firm but non aggressive voice and carry some treats with you. They respond well to food. Or maybe give it a blast of water from your water bottle. Cats totally hate getting wet! If you get bit it's probably because you are not a cat person and don't know how to act around unleashed cats.
    I LOL'd.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That picture's not fake, per se. The hunter is just kneeling several feet back from the cat, and the picture was made with a wide angle lens, which makes near objects seem bigger, relative to distant objects. The photo also plays with our expectations: we'd expect that guy to be kneeling right next to and holding the cat's head up. Instead, he's sitting several feet back, which makes the cat look ginormous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
    snip
    As far as cougars not being able to puncture the skull and kill a human; I'd beg to differ.
    I got it strait from a research biologist on large predators. We were tracking a radio collared deer that was killed by a cougar. Most fatalities due to cat wounds are from secondary wounds not cranial punctures.

When I was 8 I had an adault lynx approach me. I was cleaning trout on the side of a creek in a wilderness area in MT. It ate all four of my trout then decided it wanted some attention from me. it climbed into my lap and started to very painfully knead my leg. I tried to stop it and it just dug in until I started petting it. Nothing like multiple hypodermic needles in your leg to wake you up. After a while it got board and wandered off. I told my uncle about it and he was very impressed. He said I was very lucky to see it and even luckier it didn't seriously hurt me.

Wild cats are cool, just don't piss one off.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    I got it strait from a research biologist on large predators. We were tracking a radio collared deer that was killed by a cougar. Most fatalities due to cat wounds are from secondary wounds not cranial punctures.

When I was 8 I had an adault lynx approach me. I was cleaning trout on the side of a creek in a wilderness area in MT. It ate all four of my trout then decided it wanted some attention from me. it climbed into my lap and started to very painfully knead my leg. I tried to stop it and it just dug in until I started petting it. Nothing like multiple hypodermic needles in your leg to wake you up. After a while it got board and wandered off. I told my uncle about it and he was very impressed. He said I was very lucky to see it and even luckier it didn't seriously hurt me.

Wild cats are cool, just don't piss one off.
    Whoa! Sick!!!

dusty paw tracks
    Wow. That is an epic story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That picture is probably real. I ran over one last summer near Moab. It was sitting by the side of the road like a deer and then charged the car. It went under the bronco and we felt a couple blips. It was huge. We kept on saying that it was as big as an African Lion. It was unreal
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovemtnbiking View Post
    That picture is probably real. I ran over one last summer near Moab. It was sitting by the side of the road like a deer and then charged the car. It went under the bronco and we felt a couple blips. It was huge. We kept on saying that it was as big as an African Lion. It was unreal
    You took pics, right?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

That is nothing

A while back I had a cougar come at me. I grabbed it by the scruff and shook it threw times and said, "Bad cat!" It ran up a tree.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    A while back I had a cougar come at me. I grabbed it by the scruff and shook it threw times and said, "Bad cat!" It ran up a tree.
    d00d, your square is red.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

The Brutally Handsome
    One time I was riding a cougar through a blizzard but it died of exposure so I used my lightsaber to cut it open and sleep inside.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I can't top the lightsaber story, but my dad sees them regularly in his back yard. He says they eat the cat food that he leaves outside on the porch (he also has a semi stray cat that he feeds but that's another story). Last time I was visiting I made sure to hang out near the back window during the evenings in hopes that I would catch a glimpse. Let me tell you those cats are no joke, I wouldn't say it was the size of an african lion but pretty close. I got some footage on my iphone, it's a little shaky, quite frankly I was a bit scared with nothing but a screen door between us. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw View Post
    Ha ha, very funny.

mtbr member
    meow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do cougars attack large, moving objects like us?-cougar-bar-pickup.jpg  

Afric Pepperbird

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Fighting a bear

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    If I'm not part of the solution, I'll be part of the problem....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Afric Pepperbird
    The near awesome-ness of this story, is that I was riding on Mrazek, yesterday afternoon!!!! I bet this bugger saw me ride by:

http://www.ktvz.com/news/28265129/detail.html

I have this odd sense that I'm seen by a big cat on at least 50% of my rides.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    The near awesome-ness of this story, is that I was riding on Mrazek, yesterday afternoon!!!! I bet this bugger saw me ride by:

http://www.ktvz.com/news/28265129/detail.html

I have this odd sense that I'm seen by a big cat on at least 50% of my rides.
    Wahhhhhhhhh! Hot pee in the chamois!

How many reported sightings does that make so far this year? Half a dozen? I wonder if there have been more sightings down low because there's so much snow up high and the deer (and other prey animals) have been staying down low?
    Last edited by Nat; 06-17-2011 at 02:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Interesting! As we headed up to toward Storm King I said to my buddy, I wonder how many coyotes, bear and cougar had seen us ride by. The trails were great by the way! Thanks COTA
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    How do you get a video of a cougar attacking skier? Think about it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That pic can't be real. That thing is the size of the sabertooth tiger!
    Photo could be real. Just have to line it up well, with the man 5-10 feet behind the cat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Transplant
    http://www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_...116144334.html

I believe they can get that big. Spent the winter in Rossland BC and this story generated a lot of interest with back country skiers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do cougars attack large, moving objects like us?-21318traildailytimesholdcougar.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast