Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 130
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16

    Bear sighting on Jedi

    It was last Tuesday at the end of the Jedi, on the dirt road just before you drop into the Onion Mtn trail. It was about 30 yards up from the yellow gate, and I was the same distance in front of the gate. It was ambling away from me, so I did the rational thing and tried to get closer. It heard me, stopped, watched me as I tried to get my phone out for a photo op, and then ducked off the road into the underbrush. I got a great photo of the underbrush.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    82
    Consider that you're not always spinning fast and proud with your chest feathers puffed... if you're sweating, grunting, and slowly working your way up a grueling climb you could very well seem like an incredibly weakened, tasty treat.

  3. #53
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by dontomas View Post
    It was last Tuesday at the end of the Jedi, on the dirt road just before you drop into the Onion Mtn trail. It was about 30 yards up from the yellow gate, and I was the same distance in front of the gate. It was ambling away from me, so I did the rational thing and tried to get closer. It heard me, stopped, watched me as I tried to get my phone out for a photo op, and then ducked off the road into the underbrush. I got a great photo of the underbrush.
    Bears are a dime a dozen, especially near the Gorge. They are afraid of their own shadows.

    I might, however, have just a tad bit of anal leakage (anyone remember Olestra??) if I saw a big cat. Scary!

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    I for one think it would be an absolute privilege to see a big cat in the wild. I have seen just about very animal known to man in N America except for sasquatch and a Mountain Lion. I have come upon fresh kills, fresh scat, and even some dens but have never had the privilege of seeing one. I also think it would be far less pucker factor than crossing paths with a grizzly in the middle of nowhere.

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12
    Its always good to pack heat when your in the bush. I am a avid fisherman, spending lots of time on remote rivers with a high cat population. They say the average full grown cat can kill 50 elk a year. They are extremely smart predators.

    You will never see a cougar stalking you from behind..

    I got a stainless SW 9mm with Hollow jackets just for this reason.

  6. #56
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by DShore View Post
    Its always good to pack heat when your in the bush. I am a avid fisherman, spending lots of time on remote rivers with a high cat population. They say the average full grown cat can kill 50 elk a year. They are extremely smart predators.

    You will never see a cougar stalking you from behind..

    I got a stainless SW 9mm with Hollow jackets just for this reason.
    Wouldn't you be safer just cowering in your closet or basement? Seems cheaper than buying "heat", no? And the cat wouldn't have to pay the ultimate price.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jollybeggar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by DShore View Post
    Its always good to pack heat when your in the bush. I am a avid fisherman, spending lots of time on remote rivers with a high cat population. They say the average full grown cat can kill 50 elk a year. They are extremely smart predators.

    You will never see a cougar stalking you from behind..

    I got a stainless SW 9mm with Hollow jackets just for this reason.
    How ya gonna shoot what you never see? Just say'n.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12
    Say you run into a wild ferocious dog, cougar, and you turn the other way and continue to get followed, all out chase ensues.. Heat can save your life. Ive been chased by wild dogs in VA off the Appalachian trail, and on a quad in treacherous terrain in baja, mexico.

  9. #59
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by DShore View Post
    Say you run into a wild ferocious dog, cougar, and you turn the other way and continue to get followed, all out chase ensues.. Heat can save your life. Ive been chased by wild dogs in VA off the Appalachian trail, and on a quad in treacherous terrain in baja, mexico.
    I'm sorry, you're in the wrong state.

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    The wife had a face to face with a very large cat last weekend. She was @ 1mile into her run in the watershed. She rounded a corner and came to a sudden stop 20' from a 6' cat. She said they both stood there looking at each other for quite a while. She was just thinking how beautiful it was when it crouched down like it was going to attack. She started waving her arms, yelling and walking backwards. The cat started creeping towards her so she started spraying pepper spray. She didn't hit the cat and it still kept coming at her as she was backing up. It finally got a hit of the pepper spray and took off.

    I don't care if you want to see a cat and feel like it shouldn't be harmed. Any 6' cat that shows that kind of aggression is going to be a problem for someone. My wife got lucky she had the pepper spray. Another woman running that trail may not be so lucky.

    I carry a firearm or bow and a cougar tag when I am in that area. If I see that cat I will kill it if I can get a clean shot. FWIW, the ODFW biologist I spoke with recommended that action for an aggressive cat.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12
    Wow.. What a story...

    Prime example of why its smart to carry heat in the Bush.. I fish on 2 large private ranches on the Oregon coast and was warned by landowners that I was a fool for fishing solo without heat.. In this case there is a 160-180lb Cat roaming both ranches..

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobcanride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    315
    fish, hunt, carry heat, or ride your bike!
    THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    311
    I have a bit of a question, if you're carrying pepper spray, horn or even a gun, where do you keep it? I can't help but feel I would need very quick access to that if a situation arose. If I have it in my pack with my other stuff, I have to get my pack off and unzipped, etc to get it out to use.

    Is it more of just, better to have with you than not, regardless?

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    The wife had a face to face with a very large cat last weekend. She was @ 1mile into her run in the watershed. She rounded a corner and came to a sudden stop 20' from a 6' cat.
    You mean the Bend Watershed, like in the Flagline area? The way I climb, I am sure I look like a wounded animal of some sort. Hmmm ... never really had an interest in being on the evening news, especially postmortem.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    You mean the Bend Watershed, like in the Flagline area? The way I climb, I am sure I look like a wounded animal of some sort. Hmmm ... never really had an interest in being on the evening news, especially postmortem.
    No, sorry I should have been more specific. She was on FS 2060 in the Ashland watershed.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcanride View Post
    fish, hunt, carry heat, or ride your bike!
    Actually I do all of the above often at the same time. Just because I ride a bike does not mean I can't enjoy other activities as well. One of the benefits of getting older is knowing that joy can be found in many forms as well as single forms.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.

  18. #68
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.
    What difference do odds make if you're the woman who came face to face with an aggressive 6' cat? Odds meant (and mean) nothing to her, nor would they have meant anything to you or me if we'd been in her place. Situation is not pathetic. If you don't want to pack heat, then don't. Responsible people packing heat don't threaten you. In fact you don't ever know who they are or how often you're amongst them. It's not like they're brandishing.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.
    Carried away? That is a laugh! Irrational fear? Ask my wife if her fear was irrational. No, that cat would have been on her if she had not had her pepper spray. I have also had face to face encounters with bear at very early morning hours. Because I was prepared, armed, I could focus on getting out of the situation no matter how the animal acted. If you are in the woods as much as our family is, it is a matter of when it will happen, not if.

    FWIW,

    I for one carry an air compressor, spare belts, hoses and parts in my truck. Am I paranoid? No, I am prepared. I have saved more peoples tails by being prepared than my own. When a fellow off roader is broken down 60 miles from no where because his front brake caliper bolts loosened and were lost did he call me pathetic when I handed him replacement bolts? Nope, he and his wife thanked me profusely.

    Just remind me that I am paranoid when you need help on the trail. I'll leave you to your own devices...

    Ps: I have also had a wild albino Canadian Lynx steal my trout then climb in my lap for some loving. I have also been touched by lightning. So what are my odds now?
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    What difference do odds make if you're the woman who came face to face with an aggressive 6' cat? Odds meant (and mean) nothing to her, nor would they have meant anything to you or me if we'd been in her place. Situation is not pathetic. If you don't want to pack heat, then don't. Responsible people packing heat don't threaten you. In fact you don't ever know who they are or how often you're amongst them. It's not like they're brandishing.

    --sParty
    While we don't truly know the circumstances of the woman/pepper spray encounter, I would say odds do have a very real impact on the world we live in and the decisions we make. And I suspect your no exception to this. I grew up hunting and fishing and have zero issues with guns. I have infact even ridden with people "packing heat" due to packs of ferrell dogs in Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania. I have also spent lots of time in close proximity to bears and wolves backpacking in Alaska armed with only my wits and knowledge of the animals. I think it is a bad idea to scare people and sent them outdoors with a fire arm in place of common sense and knowledge of their environment. What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. Pathetic was a strong word...maybe unfortunate would have been more appropriate.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post

    FWIW,

    I for one carry an air compressor, spare belts, hoses and parts in my truck. Am I paranoid?
    No but your analogy is! I think there is a pill for that

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: beerrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    139
    I rode in the woods on the east side and the west side for years, never had any issues. Question for me is - how in the heck are you gonna get your heat out when a cat has its jaws fixed on your skull? Ridic. A knife would be more handy, and you prob wouldn't shoot yourself in the process.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    I have a bit of a question, if you're carrying pepper spray, horn or even a gun, where do you keep it? I can't help but feel I would need very quick access to that if a situation arose. If I have it in my pack with my other stuff, I have to get my pack off and unzipped, etc to get it out to use.

    Is it more of just, better to have with you than not, regardless?
    When dealing with bears, and I suspect cougars are similar, those items are useless unless they can be accessed instantaneously. Most true bear attacks, as opposed to posturing and bluff charges, happen within less than a couple of seconds of coming into contact with a bear and often before you are even aware the bear is there. If you are going to carry, pick up a shoulder harness, which will keep the gun or pepper spray close but out of the way.

  24. #74
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    ... I would say odds do have a very real impact on the world we live in and the decisions we make. And I suspect your no exception to this. ...
    I may be an exception to the odds... hope not... the future will tell. Fly Rod's wife was an exception to the odds. Odds only matter in a 'general population' sort of way, not to the specific individuals who are on the wrong side of percentages.

    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    ... I think it is a bad idea to scare people and sent them outdoors with a fire arm in place of common sense and knowledge of their environment. What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. ...
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    789
    The "ODDS" thing is funny. Take the entire population and tally that up with cougar sightings? Does the entire population comb the woods every other day?

    Like aircraft crashes... I fly on an airliner once every couple years. If someone is on one every other day, their odds are higher than mine.
    Bend, Oregon

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Think you guys are getting a little carried away here? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice in a row then winning the lottery then getting struck twice more on the way to collect your money than you do even seeing a cougar much less being bitten by one. The irrational fear ever more present in our society is pathetic.
    Depends on circumstances and training. I do not carry when riding in Oregon, but I understand there are those that do. On the other hand, I was raised in rural Alaska and have spent thousands of hours working in dense bear country. I do carry a gun (12ga or ti .44, depending on circumstances) in bear country. I've never used it, but I did narrowly avoid a serious mauling attack about ten years ago and would have shot the bear if I had the gun instead of my partner who flubbed it and came within about 1 foot of the attack(long story). Still, I wouldnt recommend one to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I also have little tolerance for the trigger happy types and appreciate it when they get cited. Bottom line--it's a perfectly reasonable precaution for the right people in the right circumstances.

  27. #77
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,412
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.
    Taurus and S&W make shockingly light weight titanium revolvers in a variety of calibers. They can be easily carried in a shoulder harness that puts them on your chest or on the side of your ribs. It's about as annoying as a camelback. Personally I've never felt the need for one in Oregon, but that's how I carry in AK bear country.

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,086
    All I read was something about "heat in the bush".mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  30. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    What scares me is the guy who thinks he saw a cougar and empties his gun in it's direction after reading this forum. Pathetic was a strong word...maybe unfortunate would have been more appropriate.
    You and I both agree on the subject of that fool/idiot. That is one of the many reasons I converted to bow hunting. But then any fool who shoots a gun without knowing his target and backstop should not be carrying a gun. Let that fool/idiot carry pepper spray.

    There is no stopping fools and idiots from harming others regardless of what is posted up here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Is it totally annoying to carry a gun on you while biking? I can barely stand having my keys in my pocket or a camelbak on my back, so having a heavy firearm would certainly irritate me.
    It depends on what and how you choose to carry. My 13 oz 357 is so light it does not impact my activities in any way. But it is not a gun for those with soft hands! You must practice with any defensive weapon to be effective!
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.
    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Don't think I implied this was a good idea in my post above. I'm certainly not advocating it. I hope you're not drawing the conclusion that I'm as stupid as the person you describe.



    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC View Post
    Not implying either. I've read many of your posts and don't conclude that your stupid. Your posts also inform me that there are plenty of stupid people on these forums and even more in society at large. For every scary cougar attack or "almost attacked" there are ten scary stories of stupid people doing stupid ***** with guns that they carry for "protection" against "wild animals". Two that come easily to mind in Oregon are the guy who unloaded 5 rifle rounds into the bushes because he thought he heard a cougar. Turns out it was the guy one camp site over taking a piss, unfortunately he took two bullets to the neck and one to the head yet lived. The other is of the 14 year old kid who shot and killed some poor lady on a hike because he thought she was a bear. The latter happened just last year. While I agree 100% that there are appropriate times to pack heat for protection do we really need to encourage mountain bikers to carry in the fear they might be attacked by a cougar in Oregon? An event that has never ever happened to my knowledge. On the subject of "odds" if more mountain bikers head out on the trail with guns the odds that something stupid will happen go significantly up.
    IIRC, both of those cases were hunters, not people carrying for protection. You can read the reports in the State Police bulletins on line. (neither one of the parties involved mentioned reading about xyz on a forum either.)

    Just so we are clear, I agree that there are some people who should not carry firearms. My wife is one of those people. That is why she carries pepper spray.

    Those of us who take on the responsibility to carry a firearm full time are usually the ones who take firearms very seriously. I personally practice with every firearm I carry on a regular basis. There is far more to responsible firearms handling than most people really know.

    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
    IIRC, both of those cases were hunters, not people carrying for protection. You can read the reports in the State Police bulletins on line. (neither one of the parties involved mentioned reading about xyz on a forum either.)

    Just so we are clear, I agree that there are some people who should not carry firearms. My wife is one of those people. That is why she carries pepper spray.

    Those of us who take on the responsibility to carry a firearm full time are usually the ones who take firearms very seriously. I personally practice with every firearm I carry on a regular basis. There is far more to responsible firearms handling than most people really know.

    I agree 100% with everything you said here, but I'll play devils advocate for the sake of dialogue. First we don't know who read what where or what influenced their decision making. The guy who thought he was shooting at a cougar was not hunting he was camping and drunk. The boy who thought he shot the bear lady was hunting yes, but for deer. Don't know about you, but deer look very different than bears and bears look very different than people. Doesn't it stand to reason that a hunter would have more gun training than the person who thinks he needs a gun for protection against cougars while mountain biking in Oregon.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jlive465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10
    Moving to Bend next week and Wild animals do scare me a little , but people with firearms scare me to death!! I have a hand gun but would never consider packing it with me while riding. Now doing some backwoods camping/hiking thats a different story. I'm usually alone with my dog.I totally agree being familiar with your weapons is key also guns don't kill, people do!! Also its not that easy to get a concealed weapons permit in the state of Oregon. Many hoops have to be jumped through(which isn't a bad thing) Now Idaho thats a different story!! WildWest right there!! lol Cheers !!

  36. #86
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlive465 View Post
    Moving to Bend next week and Wild animals do scare me a little , but people with firearms scare me to death!!
    Bend must be about the safest place on earth for both concerns.

  37. #87
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Bend must be about the safest place on earth for both concerns.
    Agreed, especially the wild animal part. In all my years riding in Bend, all I've ever seen are about 10 total coyotes; several mule deer; and a blue grouse.

    I wonder why there are no black bears here? If you look at a map of their range, the central Cascades are pretty much the only part of the state without them. Odd.

  38. #88
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Agreed, especially the wild animal part. In all my years riding in Bend, all I've ever seen are about 10 total coyotes; several mule deer; and a blue grouse.

    I wonder why there are no black bears here? If you look at a map of their range, the central Cascades are pretty much the only part of the state without them. Odd.
    I wouldn't mind the bears. Guns are fun when used in the right place and safely, not near trails. Sometimes you can hear shooting arpund Phil's. Not good....
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  39. #89
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,412
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I wouldn't mind the bears. Guns are fun when used in the right place and safely, not near trails. Sometimes you can hear shooting arpund Phil's. Not good....
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.

  40. #90
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Nothing wrong with the ranges, but the Budweisered-up hunters doing their best Elmer Fudd impersonations is another matter entirely!

  41. #91
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The two shooting ranges I've seen in Phil's are pretty well bunkered, so the chances of a bullet escaping seem pretty slim. Even if a bullet did escape it'd have to get through a lot of trees before it got to any bike routes. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Agreed Nat. I personally have shot at the range by Conklin Road. It is really well bunkered!!! Agree with DF about the drunk hunters!!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  42. #92
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,412
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Nothing wrong with the ranges, but the Budweisered-up hunters doing their best Elmer Fudd impersonations is another matter entirely!
    Hopefully the "drunk hunter" is mostly stereotype. The hunters I've known were pretty responsible people and knew enough to not drink and shoot (or shoot near a major biking/hiking trail).

    "Person who just got a gun recently and didn't bother to learn about gun safety" is a bigger concern.

  43. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Hopefully the "drunk hunter" is mostly stereotype. The hunters I've known were pretty responsible people and knew enough to not drink and shoot (or shoot near a major biking/hiking trail).

    "Person who just got a gun recently and didn't bother to learn about gun safety" is a bigger concern.
    I agree that it is a convenient stereotype for non hunters to cling to. I stopped at the park where my kids were having a play date with 4 other families on my way home from elk camp. I was flat out exhausted from putting in 16 hour days in the mountains. I said hello to the moms and told my wife I was exhausted and just wanted to see them. Another mom says "Too much drinking in elk camp, typical." I just smiled at her and said "it is hard to drink too much after spending 16 hours covering 5,000 vertical feet in the mountains. The only thing we saw after hunting was dinner and a sleeping bag."

    I may be on the opposite extreme but I don't think I have ever run into a hunter in the field, not driving a road, with a beer in his hand. But then in the last 6 years of hunting where I hunt I have only run into 2 other hunters.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

  44. #94
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,412
    Somehow I don't think any real hunter would go hunting in Phil's triangle.

    A person shooting a gun in the woods isn't necessarily a hunter any more than a person who rides a mountain bike across a parking lot is a mountain biker.

  45. #95
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Somehow I don't think any real hunter would go hunting in Phil's triangle.

    A person shooting a gun in the woods isn't necessarily a hunter any more than a person who rides a mountain bike across a parking lot is a mountain biker.
    I hear Willem is running a secret meth lab "in the canyon". Could be his guns a blazin' you hear.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    speaking of hunting, etc., 3 elk ran across my path as I was heading up Flagline Tie today. Made me wonder what got them so excited. Thought maybe some other riders, but I saw no one. Then, of course, I thought of this thread and cougars. Little hard to focus on the trail for a while, but that was the last wildlife I saw.
    BTW, when does hunting season start up there? Do I need to get myself a blaze orange jersey soon?

  47. #97
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    speaking of hunting, etc., 3 elk ran across my path as I was heading up Flagline Tie today. Made me wonder what got them so excited
    Maybe the sound of you biking?

  48. #98
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I hear Willem is running a secret meth lab "in the canyon". Could be his guns a blazin' you hear.
    Great source of CASH!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    BTW, when does hunting season start up there? Do I need to get myself a blaze orange jersey soon?
    Bow season is currently underway

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Maybe the sound of you biking?
    I don't think so. They were in full flight as I was approaching and were running right to left not away. Could have been anything that spooked them, but blood thirsty cougar makes a much better story -- 'course then I probably would have seen the cat too. Rabid squirrel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •