Old & slow

Dispersed Camping for a Large Group

Can any one suggest some ideas for a place to do some dispersed camping with a large group in the Mt. Bachelor area? We are coming down in Aug so I'm not concerned about snow. I'm looking for place where we can sleep that will have room for lots of tents. Don't worry, we won't trash your favorite place. We will take care of the area. Thanks.

Dude, got any schwag?
    I think a good bet is the 3 creek area even though it's on the Sisters side. For camping, you got wide open spots with amazing views, plus easy access to the lake, and it has park service style toilet facilities. For provisions, it's an easy drive down to Sisters. For mtn biking, it's just off the edge of Bend's trail system on the south side, but high up, with easy access to Peterson ridge, Metolius-Windigo and Mrazec trails. And if you have capable vehicles, you can fire road down into the Pubs and other activities in Bend.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

What day are we riding?
    How many is a lot?

Old & slow
    It could be up to 50 people. And most will be hiking so easy access to mountain biking trails is not important.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Three Creeks is right on the edge of wilderness, but not sure if there's access to good hiking after the fire last year.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's a big group. would think that size would require FS permit. How about Wanoga Snow park. Right in the Bend trail system. No water though.

highly visible
    I know of a large group that meets regularly on the Deschutes National Forest. From what I am able to understand, the cutoff for a FS permit is 75 people, and this particular group tries to stay under that number.

I don't think you'd want to be at a Sno-Park though. My guess is that would be considered a developed site. My limited understanding of Forest Circus parlance is that "dispersed site" refers to a spot out in the woods away from any developments other than the FS road itself.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    I would recommend checking in with the Forest Service since they have come up with new parameters for dispersed camping to help stop random campsites from continuing to pop-up all over the place. The office in Bend is staffed by some knowledgeable people who answer the phone and can help you. Considering they have just spent time marking where most dispersed sites currently are, they might know of some hunting sites that us mountain bikers don't think of. I would also research where Barbie Camp (search past posts on this forum) have camped since they normally have a decent size group.
    You might want to look at some campgrounds that are not so close to Bend and therefore are not as popular, such as Little Cultus Lake, where you can take over many spots and it won't be a problem. Just note that early August is still mosquito season up in the hills around Mt Bachelor and can be interesting at certain times of the day.
    And a request from those of us who spend a lot of time in the woods around Mt Bachelor, please make sure to order porta-potties or have the right bathroom facilities to ensure you do not leave a mess once your group has left, the locals thank you for that..
    have fun!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!