mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Dirt Series -- Hood River or Bend?

Unfortunately (fortunately?) my wife was scheduled for the Trek Dirt Series down here in Santa Cruz at the end of the month, but now needs to cancel due a business trip. So, we were contemplating another destination and the Oregon classes are probably the easiest (can drive, bring our own bikes easily, etc).

I rode in the Eugene/Umpqua area with one of the DoD guys earlier this year and had fun, but haven't ridden in Bend proper or Hood River area.

So, two questions -

1) If you have experience w/ the Dirt Series, any recommendations on one location over the other?

2) Since I will have time to play on my own while she is otherwise occupied, is there a good reference to Hood River trails? I've got some familiarity about areas close to Bend since friends went last year.

Thanks
    -jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Both great. In general, I'd say our riding in HR is a bit more challenging than Bend. For sure, there is more climbing here, like it or not. Both amazing mtb places, and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Bend is a bit bigger town -- but still a town -- and HR has a much smaller feel. The HRATs website will get you started in HR. Not quite as dialed as COTA's, but we're learning!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kosmo -

Thanks!

I spent some time in Eugene/Umpqua earlier this year and road with a DoD member.

I pulled the trigger on Hood River yesterday since it was easier for the wife to work a few days out of her companies Portland office.

I look for ward to some riding up there in August.

Thanks again, I will definitely check out the HRAT website.

-j