troubled economist

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! DH/FR in the Tillamook State Forest

A long time coming... but some good news.

Last night a meeting was held between local DH racers/builders, representatives of Westside Trail Federation (WTF), Northwest Trail Alliance (NWTA, formerly PUMP) and Oregon Dept of Forestry (ODF). The purpose was to discuss DH/FR/technical trails in the Tillamook State Forest (TSF), including a "rogue" DH trail and the building of new trail on TSF-Larch Mtn and other areas.

WTF has been trying to get DH/FR/technical trails approved for a few years while building other trails, and NWTA has been involved in the building/maintenance of trails in the TSF (Wilson River, Historic Hiking Loop, Storey Burn, etc.) for several years. Both have been engaging ODF and trying to work with the system to accomplish their goals. It's been a long, frustrating road sometimes, especially for WTF, as the DH/FR user group is less established as a MTB genre, IMO.

The results of the meeting were positive. Basically, ODF is supportive of this user group and the creation of technical DH/FR trails. It appears that the builders of the "rogue" trail will work w/ the ODF to adopt the trail and make it legit. Also, discussions were postive with moving forward w/ creation of new trails in the TSF.

Awesome!

Needless to say there will be plenty of work that will need willing hands!

Comments from both groups below:

WTF (Ryan):
    "Good Meeting last night. Here's the lowdown-

Builders of ***** will be entering into an Adopt-a-trail agreement with ODF to
    manage the trail. ODF will be protecting this trail from future forest activity.

A formal "walk-through" will be done later this month with ODF personnel.
    Barring any "red flags" the trail will remain as-is, and LEGAL.

The builders also seemed interested in helping identify a line and possibly help
    develop the Larch Mt/Idiot Creek Pilot trail.

Ryan"

More info:
    http://westsidetrailfederation.org/p...opic.php?t=213

NWTA (Ryan K.):

"TECHNICAL AND CHALLENGING MOUNTAIN BIKE OPPORTUNITIES

Last night (Monday July 6, 2009) two local downhill mountain bike racers, along
    with Ryan M. (Westside Trail Federation; WTF), Joe R. (WTF and Northwest Trail
    Alliance; NWTA), Wayne N. (NWTA), and myself (NWTA) met with Randy Peterson
    (Oregon Department of Forestry; ODF) to confirm the legalization and adoption of
    a social/user created downhill trail near Reheers Camp. Additionally, we moved
    into discussions regarding the development of a network of technical and
    challenging mountain bike opportunities (including downhill trails, freeride
    trails, and skills development areas) within Mountain Bike Area 1. This meeting
    was an enormous success and has been long coming. WTF and NWTA have been
    representing the mountain bike community in regards to development of technical
    and challenging trails in the Tillamook State Forest for several years now.
    This spring we continued to advocate through meetings, phone calls, and emails.
    We are making significant progress and look forward to the next steps towards
    initiating construction in spring 2010. We appreciate the support from the
    mountain bike community to date and anticipate good turnouts for successful
    build and maintenance days to create sustainable recreational infrastructure."

More info:
    http://www.nw-trail.org/node/1346

mtbr member
    That is awesome news

mtbr member
    Note from Ryan M (W.T.F. builder) after walk-thru with ODF and builders of the rogue DH trail...

"Walk-thru went very well, trail is good as is. Was asked to not talk too much about *** until we have more DH opportunities for people to get involved in. So there is no ***... yet."

As far as those "more DH opportunities"... Next Wednesday, core W.T.F. trail build volunteers meeting with ODF recreation manager of Forest Grove to outline the next steps. We're putting March 2010 build day on calendar as the first build day and working the schedule backwards from there. Outlining an adminstrative plan, signing adopt-a-trail agreement, and conducting public input (most likely thru the TRAC - Tillamook Recreation Advisory Committee)...

There's true forward momentum building, and for the first time we feel like the rec manager isn't throwing up hurdles but instead is very much onboard with what we've been talking bout for for past 4 years... a DH specific trail network. several trails. 5 mile length (each). 2,000 feet elevation drop. shuttlable. multiple parking areas. built and maintained by local volunteers...

Been scouting for past couple years, but past months we've been REALLY hammering it. There's 14,000 frickin' acres to explore. that isn't a small chunk of land. There's great terrain to work with.

Spring 2010 is our target for beginning the build.

http://westsidetrailfederation.org/i...d=150&Itemid=1

mtbr member
    Keep the info coming. I'm really interested in getting involved with this.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A collective pat on the back for those making this happen. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Maybe some "light" DH trails for sissy types like me are in the future? Perhaps a TSF version of Dirt Merchant? Has there been any mention of expanding the XC trails in the area?

Metalheadbikerider

Thanks for all the volunteer work....

that has gone into making what once was a dream, a reality for all of us. That is such awesome news. Any positive momentum in the mountain biking movement is a victory for the movement everywhere. I look forward to getting my hands dirty in the TSF, and I just ordered a new full face!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org