Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Deschutes River Trail?

My wife and I are coming down from Seattle for a few days, staying at Sun River. We would like to bring our bikes and go for a ride. My wife is not a super experienced rider, so I was looking for something scenic and pretty tame that we could ride from Sun River. Deschutes River Trail looks like it would fit the bill, but my question is it rideable right now?

Thanks in advance.

FKA Malibu412

Yes

My wife and I will be on it this coming weekend. She is also not too experienced but loves this trail. A great ride for novice to intermediate riders.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

it means 'no problem'
    Expect mud and some crusty snow in spots. It gets better the further downstream you go. Near Bend it's practically summer. :-)

Have a good time.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

please, just ride
    Just rode the whole trail from Bend to Benham Falls yesterday. There is still A LOT of mud and a few icy spots up high. The trail is in great shape from Bend to about Big Eddy or Aspen. Beyond that up to Benham, it deteriorates rapidly in the usual spots. I haven't ridden Black Rock trail from Sunriver out to the Cone, but it might be a better bet, although much shorter and not as scenic. hope this helps. Have fun. CD

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the replys. The bikes are going on the car!

FKA Malibu412

Thank you

The extra details are helpful. Sounds like we'll ride from Bend up river and we'll also take a spin along the First Street Rapids Trail just for kicks.

I would imagine COD, Phils, Tumalo and such are still not ride able?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

please, just ride
    yes, the Phil's network is still pretty soft with alot of freeze/thaw going on. I would not recommend it.
    If you are looking for a great beginner/intermediate ride, Maston is riding great right now. Pretty flat, not technical, but has some nice views. You can download a map from ormtb.com. A bit more challenging would be Horse Buttes, south east of Bend, which is also in great shape as is Horse ridge, but I doubt your significant other would enjoy the climbing or tech sections. CD

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    The extra details are helpful. Sounds like we'll ride from Bend up river and we'll also take a spin along the First Street Rapids Trail just for kicks.

I would imagine COD, Phils, Tumalo and such are still not ride able?
    Phil's to the orange (currently woodland camo/orange) chicken is dry, as is most of Marvin's.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Phil's to the orange (currently woodland camo/orange) chicken is dry, as is most of Marvin's.

Yes, but that can change daily. We like to say if your tires are leaving ruts it's too soft to ride (Westside peeps, try to control your laughter...) Problem is, when the soil does dry out, usually sometime in April/May, those ruts harden and become part of the tread. The FS won't "close" the trails in the Phil's area so we rely on word-of-mouth for trail use guidelines. This is particularly challenging in this unseasonably warm winter we are having - 25 cars at Phil's just the other day.

Entrada / COD to River Trail and Marvin's are "out in the sun" a bit more than the rest of the network further West. This definitely has a drying effect.

Thanks for understanding.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    My wife and I enjoyed a great ride yesterday, from town out to Benham Falls and back. As promised, the trail is in really good shape, just a little mud here and there. The signage could be confusing and we sometimes found ourselves on trails signed for horses or hikers. But nobody seemed to mind, so we just went with it.

It's a fun and scenic ride, perfect level for my wife who commented "I could ride trails like these all day!". Couldn't we all Thanks again for the help.