Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What day are we riding?

Deschutes River this AM

Headed out at 7:30 for a quick ride this morning. The pics don't show how hard it was snowing. Are we all sure this is April?
    Attached Images Attached Images

What day are we riding?
    Next batch

What day are we riding?
    Last one...river is running pretty dirty

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Nice pics. It was brave of you to ride in that slop. I don't think I've left the house yet!

What day are we riding?
    Just think what it would be like on the MRT today. It was good to spin the legs out a bit.

the Dude memorial aviator
    Nice photos. Which section of the des-ca-hooties is this? I've only ridden the carriage rode up near the Columbia.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

What day are we riding?
    We started at the Meadow Day Use Area and rode up to Dillon Falls and back.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle
    Nice photos. Which section of the des-ca-hooties is this? I've only ridden the carriage rode up near the Columbia.

gabrielle
    This is the Deschutes River Trail running through Bend, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    This is the Deschutes River Trail running through Bend, OR.
    Oh, groovy. I'll have to get down there & check that out.

gabrielle

What day are we riding?

Nice, thanks!

MattSavage
    So I totally got hassled the other day by some fat old cow. It was a nice sunny afternoon, I think Tuesday. I saw three other groups besides her, all cyclists. She tried to tell me the trail isn't open to bikes and that I have to go around on the roads or some such nonsense. She got all huffy when I tried to explain to her that it's perfectly legal and that the FS and COTA recomend the trail now over others due to conditions and that I just want to enjoy the weather and the outdoors with my little puppy. She wasn't going to let me around, but she bent over to tie her shoe and I pushed around her, then she mouths off " Well I'm just going to have to talk to someone about this!"

I really wanted to tell her to sit on my face! Stupid, selfish, ignorant people. I should have been like, "DuPont called! They want their Spandex back, you Fat Cow!" Instead, I was just polite and forgiving. I hate pointless trail conflicts.

Anyone else bump into people like this out there? I can see not riding it at peak hours on the weekends, but early afternoon, midweek, this time of year??!!

Sorry for the aggressive rant, I'm venting.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Anyone else bump into people like this out there? I can see not riding it at peak hours on the weekends, but early afternoon, midweek, this time of year??!!
    Yes. Sadly, it seems to be other bikers. I figure they're roadies, "slumming" or something.

I should have been like, "DuPont called! They want their Spandex back, you Fat Cow!"
    ooooh... *files away for future use*

gabrielle

meatier showers
    ...I really wanted to tell her to sit on my face!...
    You're obviously very forgiving.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Toby Wong?
    dude, 13.5 inches in the past 24 hours.....schralp the pow!

(btw i rode KGB from town on Friday....it's in good condition)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You're obviously very forgiving.

--Sparty
    You thought that too, eh? He's very fat positive if that's his response. Good riding with you on Brice Cr today. I forget how technical that one is in spots, until I'm there again. It was sweet, and blessedly without any large bovine intrusions.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    dude, 13.5 inches in the past 24 hours.....schralp the pow!

(btw i rode KGB from town on Friday....it's in good condition)
    My snowboard is shelved for the season. Bring on the dirt!

If I happen across an obese woman squatting upon and smothering some biker's face in the middle of some trail, I'm gonna bushwack around if that's okay with everybody...

Gittyup!
    That happened to me once on the DRT, but not such an abrasive encounter. Midweek, I was crossing over the bend around Big Eddy heading up the trail. There is a post around there that has a hiker symbol on it, which really does make it confusing to someone not as familiar w/ the trail system. I was patiently waiting/riding behind a few hikers waiting for a polite opportunity to pass. The gal turned, stepped aside, and said in a semi-confrontational voice "isn't this trail for hikers only?" I replied that actually, it's a multi-use trail, but this section in particular is a bit confusing due to the hiker sign. I pulled out my map and politely showed her that it indeed does reflect multi-use. That seemed to do the trick and we went on our merry ways. She wasn't super friendly, but not confrontational either. Too bad you didn't have a map w/ you so you could show her. I fear that w/ the population rising so quickly around here, these types of confrontations will become more frequent. I've seen it happen on lower Phil's too... of all places.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    ...Good riding with you on Brice Cr today. I forget how technical that one is in spots, until I'm there again...
    The short stretch just upstream from the campground bridge always gives me fits!

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

industry employee

Why don't they take down the 'hiker only' signs?

The signage on that trail needs to be changed to reflect the fact that bikes are allowed on the trail too. Many times the signs show that there is a bike trail and a separate 'hikers only' trail. If I were walking the trail and saw 'hikers only' signs I'd expect the cyclists to stay of that part of the trail too, but I have ridden the 'biker' sections a little and I know that they usually too soft too ride any time of year (either mud or dust).

I avoid that trail anyway....especially on nice days. WAY too many people out there with kids, dogs, grannys, etc.

What day are we riding?
    Maybe I will print this out and take it with me from now on. From Dechutes National Forest Circus website DRT description:

"DESCRIPTION: A series of three parallel trails through pine forests and lava flows along the variously placid and tumultuous Deschutes River. Separate trails were built for hikers, horses, and bicycles. Cyclists also share the hiking trail nearest the river, as long as conflicts are minimized. Low snow years can allow year-round use for most of this trail. Due to heavy use and repeated conflicts, dogs must be on a leash on these trails. Low snow years can allow winter use for most of this trail."

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    I've seen it happen on lower Phil's too... of all places.
    On lower Phil's?!?! That'd be like hiking on a NASCAR track and complaining about speeders.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    That happened to me once on the DRT, but not such an abrasive encounter. Midweek, I was crossing over the bend around Big Eddy heading up the trail. There is a post around there that has a hiker symbol on it, which really does make it confusing to someone not as familiar w/ the trail system. I was patiently waiting/riding behind a few hikers waiting for a polite opportunity to pass. The gal turned, stepped aside, and said in a semi-confrontational voice "isn't this trail for hikers only?" I replied that actually, it's a multi-use trail, but this section in particular is a bit confusing due to the hiker sign. I pulled out my map and politely showed her that it indeed does reflect multi-use. That seemed to do the trick and we went on our merry ways. She wasn't super friendly, but not confrontational either. Too bad you didn't have a map w/ you so you could show her. I fear that w/ the population rising so quickly around here, these types of confrontations will become more frequent. I've seen it happen on lower Phil's too... of all places.
    That's pretty much exactly where it happened, right between Lava Island and Big Eddy. I noted those little hiker signs on the way up and then I stopped and looked at the large map that is posted and I saw the "bike trail" and all the other color coding for trails. I was somewhat confused, but pretty sure I knew that what I was doing was correct. You know, I had my map too, I was just too thrown off to think of pulling it out.

I guess they're trying to minimize conflict with all the people from the Inn and all the locals and other vacationers, horserist's, and whatnot in that one little area, by creating secondary trails, which is perfectly understandable. But man was she rude. She stood in the middle of the trail like an un-jolly, pasty white giant. My puppy was terrified while she scolded and frowned.

Oh well, fortunately most of this snow will be gone by the weekend and maybe KGB and COD will be ridable. Although the DRT is really fun. There's a couple fun little techy parts.

If you have small dogs (+/- 30lbs) on the trail, watch out for the Red Tailed Hawk near the burn area between the Entrada and the river. I've never seen it before and I'm not sure if it's a resident. It was fairly aggressive the other day and swooped my dog a couple times. I have a ten month old Vizsla pup that's kind of little for her age. Fortunately she stays close by when riding. If she hadn't been at my rear wheel, she may have been lunch.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Gittyup!
    LOL! No kidding. Yup, happened to me twice actually. One time 2 ladies walking their offleash, insane, ankle biter dogs that were weaving around us in the singletrack. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a dog hater (my well-trained Heeler routinely rides w/ me and others on the trails), but these things were obnoxious. They just kept right on walkin', making no effort to call the dogs or let us by. I hate trail conflict, so at an opportune moment, I passed on by w/out comment, but my buddy stopped and said "you do know that this is a heavily used mountain bike trail don't you? It might be a good idea to think about some other nearby alternatives in the future." They looked pissed and you could hear them having the "the nerve of that guy!" conversation after we went by. Just clueless. The other was the same deal but w/out dogs. I don't think it will ever be a problem above the canyon, but on the lower parts, I think we'll be seeing a lot more foot travel than ever before. Especially from the retirees moving in to the new golf course. Guess that's the way of a boomtown.

I think it was Sun Valley or some place that had signs at the trailhead indicating that the area was built, maintained, and heavily used by mountain bikers - hikers and equestrians please use caution. Wonder if that would work well at Phil's (sans equestrians)? Not sure it's needed yet, but might be a good preventative measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    On lower Phil's?!?! That'd be like hiking on a NASCAR track and complaining about speeders.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The short stretch just upstream from the campground bridge always gives me fits!

shig, if you're talking about the rocky section next to the 'funnel falls' just above Cedar Creek that continually gets blown out during periods of high water, well, I cleaned that section on Sunday going in the downstream direction.

I remember cleaning the same section routinely during the late 90's but not so often (if at all) in recent years. Seems to me it's gotten way more challenging since the big winters of the mid-90's. Anyway, I was proud to do it on Sunday; I credit the singlespeed with an assist due to its gearing which requires the rider to maintain momentum through technical sections. Wreckless ~almost~ cleaned it on her Vulture SS, too. 'Flaps & Imaklyde cheered us on...

Another great day on the trail.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast