Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Demo events in Oregon

    Hello fellow Oregonians,

    I'm hoping you can help me gather information about any dealer events in Oregon held during the year. I'm fairly new to mountain biking, and I'm slowly becoming more familiar with the annual events that dealers attend each year in the state. I'm in the market for a new bike, and really want to ride a variety of full suspension 26ers, hardtail 29ers, and full suspension 29er's.

    I've been slowly finding the event schedules for several dealers, you have to dig a bit depending on the website/blog, and I haven't found anything in the next several months closer than northern CA, CO, or Utah.

    If you know of any upcoming events in the state where demo bikes will be available, please post them here.

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    Hello fellow Oregonians,

    I'm hoping you can help me gather information about any dealer events in Oregon held during the year. I'm fairly new to mountain biking, and I'm slowly becoming more familiar with the annual events that dealers attend each year in the state. I'm in the market for a new bike, and really want to ride a variety of full suspension 26ers, hardtail 29ers, and full suspension 29er's.

    I've been slowly finding the event schedules for several dealers, you have to dig a bit depending on the website/blog, and I haven't found anything in the next several months closer than northern CA, CO, or Utah.

    If you know of any upcoming events in the state where demo bikes will be available, please post them here.

    Thanks for the help!
    Wrong time of year for demo days.

    No annual demos not connected to an event (like MBO and only for the event attendees) I know of either.

    Many companies do have a demo truck that visits their dealers in the spring and summer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824
    That's what I was afraid of....I've found 0 events in Oregon scheduled for the rest of this year through the major retailer sites like Trek, Spec, Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. I'm interested in riding bikes from smaller local builders as well, and have had a hard time finding information about any demo events they might have. Does anyone know where I can find info on any of our local builders? Also, if you do read about any of the large vendors scheduling an event in Oregon for 2010 feel free to post it here.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Making fat cool since '71
    Reputation: ImaKlyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    Mountain Bike Oregon is probably the biggest event in the state in regards to bike makers having demo fleets. And it's a good time.

    Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

    Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,982
    I know some of the demo fleets have been through Black Rock. I think Intense and Transition were there.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    That's what I was afraid of....I've found 0 events in Oregon scheduled for the rest of this year through the major retailer sites like Trek, Spec, Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. I'm interested in riding bikes from smaller local builders as well, and have had a hard time finding information about any demo events they might have. Does anyone know where I can find info on any of our local builders? Also, if you do read about any of the large vendors scheduling an event in Oregon for 2010 feel free to post it here.

    Thanks
    I have never seen a small local builder at a demo event. By nature they build to order and to the needs of the customer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    824
    Well I guess it's time to play the waiting game then....or drive to CA, UT, or CO for any of the dozens of events they have scheduled in the next few months. Oregon needs more demo love.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,279
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse
    Well I guess it's time to play the waiting game then....or drive to CA, UT, or CO for any of the dozens of events they have scheduled in the next few months. Oregon needs more demo love.
    There are quite a few demo days here--in the summer, when it makes sense weatherwise. The specific companies, locations and schedules change each year.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33
    You missed (or maybe not?) your chance to view some of the fine work of "locals" at the Oregon Handbuilt Bike show in PTown in October. There will be a similar but different type show in April at the convention center in Portland. It's called The Bicycle Show, put on by Pedal Nation Events.

    You'll find very very few small local builders of the full squish types....however the hardtails...lots of "local" builders here in the NW. We're soooo lucky......great beers and great bike builders. Check out the Portland area...go to Bend and find Wade of Vulture Cycles. There are lots of really high quality hardtails being made around the area.

    I think the best place to test ride a bike is at your local shop. I know the benefit of testing a lot of different ones in one area is very appealing, and time efficient, but not going to happen around here. Go to your local shops and test 'em out.

    Cheers
    Eric

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    33
    Yep
    Black has a rad demo day....best around really next to Sea Otter. Usually held sometime the middle of Julyish. Last year they had nine venders. Norco, Transition, Giant, Felt, Diamondback, Kona, Cove, Evil, Marin. 5Ten even brought some shoes to try out. Santa Cruz sometimes comes up too.
    Doesn't help much for the winter hunting, but certainly the best option for local.

    Eric

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •