Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A day at Syncline; mostly Hidden Valley trail

Okay, we are going to post some pics. It only seems fair after the DOD has so graciously posted every ride they have been on the for the last year Just kidding.

A good day at Syncline but the Jeep trail and around the house on top was both muddy and snowy. The Jeep trail is super mucky; it probably should not be ridden for a while due to potential damage to the trail. Hidden Canyon is a super technical ride on the east side of Syncline. It is best ridden on a long travel FS bike with armor on because rocks hurt. It had streams running down it as the snow up top melted on a day in the high 50s. Enjoy....

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.

meatier showers
    Awesome post, Jaybo! I'd like to ride that trail someday. Why don't you invite your DOD neighbors up for a group ride?

--Sparty

P.S. DOD doesn't post every ride we go on. For instance, Brock, Pokey & I rode Brice Creek today and didn't take a single photo. It's just that we probably ride a lot more than you do, so it seems like we post every ride. {ubiquitous smiley emoticon}
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I know you don't....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Awesome post, Jaybo! I'd like to ride that trail someday. Why don't you invite your DOD neighbors up for a group ride?

--Sparty

P.S. DOD doesn't post every ride we go on. For instance, Brock, Pokey & I rode Brice Creek today and didn't take a single photo. It's just that we probably ride a lot more than you do, so it seems like we post every ride. {ubiquitous smiley emoticon}
    Just joshing you! Besides, typically I like ride pics. Jon and I rode today at Syncline again. It is a great semi arid area. Come on up anytime you want; we would like to show you guys around. I bet Brock would like to continue the break in on his new RFX with some gnarly rock trails. Consider this an open invite. This area is hot and full of oak in the summer, so we ride this area in winter, spring, and late fall. In summer, we head for the Hood and Adam's trails and ride Post Canyon before it gets too dusty...

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-10-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A few more pics

Why not?

Jaybo

meatier showers

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

....... rocks, I see plenty of rocks .............. I'm thinkin' maybe the FS gearie with fat meats rather than the rigid 29er SS ......... what do you suggest.

--Sparty

P.S. That place looks just plain awesome.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I rode it on a 29er Kina Unit with a fork today

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    ....... rocks, I see plenty of rocks .............. I'm thinkin' maybe the FS gearie with fat meats rather than the rigid 29er SS ......... what do you suggest.

--Sparty

P.S. That place looks just plain awesome.
    My rear brake pads are blown up on my big squisher, so I grabbed the big wheeled HT. Lets just say the HT is not optimal for Syncline; however, guys do it all that time. This area is at some risk; Forest Service, landowners, and other stackholders met tonight to discuss the future of the area. It probably won't get shut down but some of the trails could be eventually rerouted. I have a lot more fun on the big squisher than the 29er! It is not all rocks but the calling card this area is technical riding. On weekends it can be just swamped with PDXers looking to rip it up and they often do in their shuttle trucks ....

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 02-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting pics Jay. Wish I didn't leave the memory card for the camera at home today, could of got some good trail shots on Coyote for Sparty.

Coyote was in good shape up til about 1300' with exception of a couple brief slushy snow patches. Little Moab on the other hand absolutely rocked, despite the jeep trail being laborous due to run-off and what not.

So, Jay how about some more pics of me coming down HV?

Have a good week all, good weekend of riding, I needed that big-time.

JG
    Ride On!

Respect Your Trails

Hijack

Hope you guys don't mind if I butt in....

I've been tempted numerous times, as the winter is upon us, to check out Syncline, but have read finding your way around is somewhat difficult. Or finding the good riding is not so easy at the least. So may I be rude and invite myself out next time a trip is heading that way?

Hijack over. Thanks.

-Hoos

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Maybe the following weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    Hope you guys don't mind if I butt in....

I've been tempted numerous times, as the winter is upon us, to check out Syncline, but have read finding your way around is somewhat difficult. Or finding the good riding is not so easy at the least. So may I be rude and invite myself out next time a trip is heading that way?

Hijack over. Thanks.

-Hoos
    Yaw, come on out. Send me a private messages.

Jaybo

Leave it all on the trail
    Good Pics Gus...

These got me pumped before we had a fantastic ride yesterday. Coyote Canyon was in primo shape and Lil' Moab was fun as always.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Good Pics Gus...

These got me pumped before we had a fantastic ride yesterday. Coyote Canyon was in primo shape and Lil' Moab was fun as always.
    Thanks, we decided to bring the camera out for once that day. There are a couple of pics that Jay is holding out on though, a couple of me coming down the rocks on HC that I like, hint to post em' Jay?

Agreed on the trail condish', I got a couple sweet runs on Coyote yesterday and rode everything else up there the day before. Besides some old lingering snow patches on upper Coyote, Rattlesnake, and the last meadow coming down the pasture just before entering upper Coyote across the road (about 6" in this spot) the trails are all in great shape and I got to put my new shoulder pads/chest protector to use with some tree taps at speed while coming down.

I rode PB after work on the way home tonight and that was a blast as well with super fast, super tack, mudless primed ST riding, just watch out for the horsies while blasting down like I had to.

C-Huck, I have seen the light with riding with tunes. Rocked the MP3 tonight going up and down, and if riding solo like I did the last few rides, it is the way to go IMO. Nothing like jamming to your favorite mtb vid' soundtrack at speed.

Good riding, I am getting my riding groove on again after about a month long break, it was turning me into a very unhappy camper.

JG
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A couple pics

Here are the pics Jon asked me to post. A bit of rock up there in Syncline. I long for summer after days like today! Some can enjoy the muck and rain all they want; I enjoy the sun and bone dry trails much more. Luckily, Syncline is in the leeward side of the Cascades. I was at Neskowin at the beach today but my heart was at the Syncline....

Here is Jon on his motorcycles with pedals. This is Jon navigating a rock wall halfway down Hidden Valley. It is more challenging than it looks but doable for the quasi freeride gang. Notice the blue Ted hose for Oak protection Jon and I get Poison Oak multiple times annually at Syncline. I guess we like shots of Prednisone....

Jaybo

Leave it all on the trail
    Very nice. Your right the Itunes are nice especially when climbing. Sometimes I feel that it interferes and overhypes me for downhill and gets me into trouble

But, like JZ said something mellow for the downhill really works well.

C-huck...... I like it!

Nice pictures!