Thread: Dallas Trails

mtbr member

Dallas Trails

Wow what an awesome day to ride. The view from the top was great, Hood, Jeff, Washington and the Sisters. Does anyone know where the trail goes from 'Handicap xing'?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been exploring up there a bit, don't remenber seeing a sign like that. It looks like your pics are on Rob Mill Road before the reb burm. Are you talking about a trial off Robb Mill?
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Yes up at the spot where muddy puddle and tree fort come together, right before the large white gate on the road, this trail is not on your attached map. About 1/2 mile from robb mill you come to a T intersection, with a sign 'handicap xing', i have rode the trail to the right and it goes down to the road that gonzo crosses. Yesterday was the first day i had seen horse tracks on that trail, so maybe it goes down to reuben boise rd. I was wondering if there is a trail that will bring you back to the bottom of gonzo so you don't have to ride the road. Have you rode any of the trails on the right side of robb mill as you're going up, like hobbit, velvet, etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I stumbled onto that trail this morning.

The trail goes about another 1/2 mile northeast after the handicap crossing sign. It must have had alot of recent horse traffic, because it was pretty chewed up. It's downhill with alot of loose rock and downed trees. It comes out on the logging road that runs back to Rob mIll; I think it's 1906. You have ridden the best part.

Discovery is in good shape. I have tried to ride Velvet (or Hobbit), but the trail is hard to follow as it enters clear cut about a quater mile in. Not alot of recent traffic there.

It looks like there has been alot of heavy truck traffic recently on 1906. Did you see any logging activity?

mtbr member
    Ya about 2 weeks ago they started some repairs on the road up there, and saturday you could see a new landing and a loader. Saturday was also the first day that i had seen any horse traffic signs. I would like to find a trail from the bottom of handicap to gonzo. If you're interested I'd like to ride up there together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim connelly
    I've been exploring up there a bit, don't remenber seeing a sign like that. It looks like your pics are on Rob Mill Road before the reb burm. Are you talking about a trial off Robb Mill?

That map is pretty old. It's from 2004 before the logging had started.

There are roads that weren't there before and roads that replaced trails and clearcuts now where there used to be trails. And there are trails that weren't there in 2004

ride the moment
    I went up to Dallas for the first time Sunday before last. I had a really great time. It was like a perfect blend between Whypass and the McDonald-Dunn. I don't know any names, but we rode up about 7 miles. A decent climb but I wasn't standing on my SS at all. Then we rode along a ridge for a while, then down a pretty long stretch with a side trip out-and-back on a different trail. All in all about 16 miles with over 50% singletrack. It was really nice. Only took 45 minutes to get there from Corvallis.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    Being in Monmouth, I'm pretty close to the trails and know most of the prominent trails except velvet, hobbit, etc., but if anyone needs a guide or tag along I'm almost always down for a good dallas xc ride.

mtbr member
    Are you up for night rides? I've promised the boss that I wouldn't ride alone at night and need somebody to go with me when my pard is working. I ride up there usually once a week and would also welcome anyone else. I'm a clyde so not a speedster up the hill but can keep up on the way down.

dog brain, look at that map that tim posted the link to, its a pretty good map of those trails.