mtbr member

dallas decapitated

just a heads up for anyone wanting to ride dallas. went up sunday, 4/16 and woodpecker has a clearcut running thru it about 100 yds wide. then at the recently installed access road before the 2nd part of woodpecker they are clearcutting again. looks like we need to help build more trails at places like fall city. bummer . . . . .

Always Breaking Stuff
    Same sh*t is going on up on Washington Larch Mt / Tarbell area, with all the knowledge and studies out there you'd think we wouldn't be clearcutting any more. *sigh*

mtbr member
    CRAP. I saw the ribbons and new road this winter and was hoping we could put it off until summer. CRUD.
    Is it able to be ridden, or is the trail gone?

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by thorir
    Same sh*t is going on up on Washington Larch Mt / Tarbell area, with all the knowledge and studies out there you'd think we wouldn't be clearcutting any more. *sigh*
    Has there been more logging this year, or are you talking about what they did last year?

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

dallas

contact santiam bicycle in salem for info on dallas trails. 503 363 6602. they usually have a current status. it is a tree farm and subject to harvest after all.

P.S. we at falls city want more XC riders so we are planning trails for them. I.E. no huge stunts or unavoidable things and what will be there will be easily avoided or obviously small and easy.
    we want and need your 2 cents about this. contact info can be obtained at url below
    the falls city builders want more variety at the site for future use and a potential mt. bike park that is state sanctioned.

http://brmba.org/
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Whoops in Hood River, Oregon is getting the crap beat out of it too

It makes me sick but we have a thirst for wood in this country. All that paper, houses, etc. The wood has to come somewhere....

Jaybo

Always Breaking Stuff
    Yeah, Whoops too, damn, I didn't even get a chance to get out there this year, thought it was still snowy. *sigh*

The problem is that so much of the lumber is going out of state/country as raw goods, just raping the land without even supplying local jobs. I have seen a steady increase of these HUGE trees on log trucks lately, like 2 trees filling up a truck, ridiculous.

I haven't seen more logged at Larch since last year, but I have heard it is a multi-year plan.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good point

I LOVE Whoops! It dries out slowly with the low end staying muddy well into spring. I guess I will ride Syncline again this weekend...despite the ticks and poison oak. I wonder if Dog River is climbable now or under snow.

We should get a group and ride Trail 400 soon.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Can't believe I am saying this...but Post canyon will be in excellent shape this weekend. Rode it today and it was a little slick in spots (rained last night on the trail but not in town) but with the great weather today and through the weekend should be no problems. If you do not know how to use your brakes correctly, then stay home we don't need nor want you here anyway. NO Skidders and NO squids!

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I've never liked Post Canyon....

I find it rather dull riding unless a guy like freeriding but I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I find it rather dull riding unless a guy like freeriding but I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Jaybo
    Yes, you are right, you are in the minority...Post Canyon boring over Synchline!

Hospital hill trails are in great shape as well except for the horse damage (but hey, they own the land so I can't really whine)

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'm worried about Poison Oak this time of year

I can look at Oak and get it. I thought about Dog River but I bet it is snowed under up top.
    I rode Post Canyon today. Very fun. I was wrong after going to some different trails. In great shape with very little mud. The trails have gotten beat up by motorcycles in place though...

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-22-2006 at 09:11 PM.

MattSavage
    You Hood River guys have an outlook on the snow at Dog River/Surveyors Ridge, that whole area? I haven't been in the HR Valley all winter, so I have no idea how much snow is up there. What's the timeline look like until it's fully ride-able?

Thanks!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    You Hood River guys have an outlook on the snow at Dog River/Surveyors Ridge, that whole area? I haven't been in the HR Valley all winter, so I have no idea how much snow is up there. What's the timeline look like until it's fully ride-able?

Thanks!

Well, as of Friday, you could not even make it a mile up Rd. 44 off of 35. LOTS OF SNOW!! SNow drifts with bare pavement until snow drift was large enough not to see the other side.....

The snow is melting fast but you are looking at 3-4 weeks yet. I will keep you posted.

Nate
    Paco the "Flyin' Finn"