mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Dallas area / Black Rock conditions

I just moved to Dallas from eastern Oregon and am looking for places to ride. Do people even ride this time of year in the valley? I'm more XC than anything but it looked like BR might be partially doable assuming trails are open this time of year. I sent an email to an address on their website but never heard back. I also saw some trails mentioned west of Dallas but again I don't know what condition they are in right now or if anyone manages them. Haven't had a chance to hit up the local bike shops yet but planning to do that this coming week to see what info they might have.

mtbr member
    I live in the valley and am still riding. Just have to find the trails that aren't saturated, in between the rains.

Black Rock Mountain Bike Area is more geared to freeride/downhill than cross-country, but almost all the features on the Banzai Downhill run are rollable or can be ridden around. Just pay attention to the maps and signs, as it is possible to transition to very difficult trails if you're deliberately clueless about where you're going.

I haven't been up to Black Rock since October. It was perfect then despite the huge September rains. Still, it's definitely a good idea to ask around, someplace like Santiam Cycles in Salem for example. I see on the BRMBA website they're starting on trail maintenance, so some things might get shut down for that depending on what they're doing.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it's mint up top. It has to be a pretty wet week for me not to want to ride Blackrock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Blackrock drains fairly well and I actually ride it more in the winter than any other time. Just be careful of slippery wood features.