Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    More than somewhat.

The Cypress cometh. (to Corvallis)

I'll be moving there at the end of summer. It is up to you to get me pumped about it.

Name great things about Corvallis.

List horrid things about Corvallis.

Post pictures of Corvallis.

Danke in advance.

ride the moment
    There are a lot of bike lanes around town. The Co-Op is nice. The McDonald-Dunn Forest (or "The Mac") is an easy 5 miles out of town and there are tons of trails. Most of them are short and only a couple are sanctioned and on the maps. I would be glad to give you a tour or two. There are a couple nice 8-10 mile loops that include 1700' - 2000+' of climbing. There are also easier loops... either shorter or flatter. Its also real easy to link up loops for a bigger ride... and I see the cross guys out on the fire roads all the time. There's actually a ton of riding and I probably know way less than half of it well. Mary's Peak is about 30 minutes from town. You're coming from Bozeman? I really like that town. Ummm... Block 15 has pretty good beer. There's no Strong Scottish but the IPA has lots of hops. On the downside traffic SUCKS during football. Other than the undergrad bar scene the night life is pretty lacking. Have you done much riding in Oregon? If not thats a WHOLE different discussion. Here's some pics from the Mac... ok I have to resize them. I'll do a couple and then post them.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

More than somewhat.
    I am indeed coming from Bozeman. Can't wait to leave! Bozeman is awesome if you have winter hobbies, but for guys like myself that just want to ride bikes, the 7 month long winter is torture. We have a trail that can only be ridden 1.5 months of the year for goodness sake.

I'm not big on the binge drinking scene, so that's a plus in my book. I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself if I can ride year round. I grew up in Colorado, then made the downgrade to Montana.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Corvallis...

Let's see here...

Good:

1. If you're young (or go to OSU like me) , there's a lot of the women folk around.

2. Pretty good roads to ride (outside of town) on if you also enjoy riding on the pavement.

3. A couple of pretty good bike shops (Corvallis Cyclery always treats me good).

4. Some decent trails, though I don't know many (would like to find some more though!)

5. We have a hospital - can come in handy...

6. Recently rated the safest small town (population under 50,000 or something like that) in the US.

Bad:

1. Lots of illogical hippies (maybe that's good to some?)

2. Horrible roads in town.

3. Really high rent for run-down places (unless you're far from campus).

4. Crazy traffic on game days (as mentioned).

5. There are a couple of Corvallis Police officers that are real buttheads - but the worst was fired and there are some pretty nice ones too (Most all the state police are great guys)

6. Bikes get STOLEN!!!! Mine while locked to a railing on a second story balcony - OUTSIDE MY WINDOW! - Invest in a VERY good lock

Um that's about all I can think of - hope it helps

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Corvallis -
    Pros -
    Mac Forest does have some good double and single track riding and it's close.
    If you like more of freeride or downhill experience Black Rock is just 30 mins away and has some of the best downhill runs (for all levels of riding) in the state. Check out http://www.brmba.org/ for more details.
    Oregon State is a Pac-10 school with D-1 sports if you like that sort of thing (like me).
    I'm an old guy so if you have kids or plan to this is a great place to raise a family.
    The coast is hour to the west and 10,000' mountains are 1.5 hrs east.
    You can ride year round here - all is takes is some fenders, gore-tex, booties and gloves
    If you don't mind an hour or so drive you can get to many really nice riding spots.
    My favorite LBS is Peak Sports (worked there 20+ years ago...).
    Portland is just 80 miles up I-5 and itís, IMO, a pretty easy "big city" with lots of bigger city activities.

Cons -
    Corvallis is a pretty small community so night life, etc. is slim. We are getting, however, a better assortment of restraurants.
    It can be rainy from Nov through March/April (like today for example) so if gray days get you down, be ready to travel to sunny climes to get a break (we head over the Central Oregon/Bend a lot where its cold this time of year but the sun is more apt to shine).
    Homes are not cheap and, as mentioned before, because of OSU rent is expensive - especially if you want something nice.

I've gone to school (82' OSU grad), worked, played, and raised a family in Corvallis for over 40 years so I could go on forever about the good and bad. Overall itís a great bike community that I think you will enjoy.

More than somewhat.
    I checked rent prices in Corvallis and they seem downright CHEAP compared to Bozeman.

Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. (classifieds)

ride the moment
    Compared to Bozeman rent is cheap here... the yuppie influx hasn't really made it to Corvallis. I understand that Bend is suffering a similar fate to your town though. As dude mentioned, your bike will get stolen. Make sure you get a place where you can keep your good bikes inside, then throw together a beater to take around town and get a good lock for it. I also took all the quick releases off my commuter and replaced them with bolt on skewers, clamps, etc. Im pretty comfortable leaving that clunker locked to a sturdy pole wherever...as long as I take the lights off!!! The roads in town do suck to drive on but it is the most bike friendly place I have ever been. You should spend some time in this forum looking at people's pictures from the Oakridge area. Its an hour and a half away with a TON of singletrack. But as mentioned, you can pretty much mick any direction and start driving, within an hour and a half there is sick riding. Here's some pics from the Mac and Marys peak... AHHH I resized them all too big still. Sorry bro. The mountains with trees and ferns and moss and fog look cool I swear!

More than somewhat.
    I've had a bike stolen from me before and learned my lesson. I keep them inside unless I'm riding them, and never go without high dollar renters insurance.

No yuppies? Hmm. I might have to buy rather than rent. If only I had done that when I moved to Bozeman. I'd be a king. Looked at a 1995sq ft house last year that was built in 1920. The basement was finished as it's own basement rental. Other than that, it was your average small house (the basement cut the actual square footage in half)... the $418,000 price tag kept me away.

More than somewhat.
    This place was knocked down to $600k after sitting on the market for 3 months at $675K.

mtbr member
    Corvallis is a great town to bike commute in, it sucks to drive anywhere though, parking anywhere near Campus (ie, most of the town) is horrible.

As Mentioned Mac Forest is a stones throw from your front door and has a mix of trails, The good ones are all techincally illegal but still get ridden regularly.

The Coast is only an hour away, the Mountains are too.

Year-round riding, as long as you can handle a little rain.

What's not to like..

Well, there's nothing going on for 30-somethings, if you're in College, great, if you're old or raising your family, even better.

One of the highest costs of living in the state or Oregon.

We have plenty of hippies, the real ones mind you, not the Yippies that raise property values.

More than somewhat.
    What is the road riding like? Good climbs?

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    One of the highest costs of living in the state or Oregon.

We have plenty of hippies, the real ones mind you, not the Yippies that raise property values.

Yeah, here in Eugene, people always talk about how expensive Corvallis is, especially the housing. I would have assumed it was full of yuppies.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    What is the road riding like? Good climbs?
    My idea of road riding is throwing slicks on the hardtail, but by the hordes of roadies I see everywhere I would assume the road riding is good. We're at the base of the coast range so I'm sure you could get some good climbs in albiet a little bumpy. These folks could probably help you out http://www.mvbc.com/
    The Alsea Falls loop always seems to do me right. A couple grand in elevation and a nice ride through the woods. The hilly section has recently been paved so it's pure asphalt heaven.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

If you like groups of senior bikes

There is the DOD Just kiddin'. Sheesh! Corvallis is a nice town. The rain will be an adjustment for many. By the way, Bozeman is a very nice town. That is a touch call. I hear you if you don't like winter sports...

Jaybo

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    There is the DOD Just kiddin'. Sheesh! Corvallis is a nice town. The rain will be an adjustment for many. By the way, Bozeman is a very nice town. That is a touch call. I hear you if you don't like winter sports...

Jaybo
    Your jokes would be alot closer to funny if they made any sense.

Senior bikes? I know Sen'or Crash, but not Senior Bikes.

By the way, tough is spelled with a g.

More than somewhat.
    Old guys? Old men scare me.

I know 3 or so 55+ guys here in Bozeman that could drop me on the flats without batting an eye. Old guys can TT like you wouldn't believe.

(climbing is a different story)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I know

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    Old guys? Old men scare me.

I know 3 or so 55+ guys here in Bozeman that could drop me on the flats without batting an eye. Old guys can TT like you wouldn't believe.

(climbing is a different story)
    The DOD except for the Klyde appear to be oddest bunch of cats on planet Earth. A bit scary! Oh, well, give 'em a shot. I will get attacked now with obscenities. They accept zero criticisms!

Jaybo

PS Thanks, Sasquatch, your English lessons have enlighten me
    Last edited by Jaybo; 03-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.

More than somewhat.
    Still no pictures....

Don't fail me.

ride the moment
    Ok finally! THese are all from the Mac... most from Dimple Hill, and one from a trail that runs off of Dimple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride the moment
    The first one is Sour Grass Meadow in Oakridge and the next two are Mary's Peak
    Last edited by Dogbrain; 03-27-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Tree Hugger
    Here's more pictures from a ride at Mary's Peak from last July 4th
    Beware of scary wierd people!

Mary's Peak ride 7-15

ride the moment
    Now I got my business all sorted out... here's some shots from a day on the Alpine Trail in Oakridge. Its over 30 miles... 5000+ ft of climbing. First one is climbing up FS 1910. Second is a view of the Sisters from 1910. Third one is me and some friends from the east coast taking a break "on top" of the Alpine trail... Sourgrass meadow.

ride the moment
    well those are sideways... lesson learned. Anyway here's more from the Alpine Trail.

My dogs are killin me

Drooling...

My wife and I are moving up to your lovely state next year. We currently reside in Orange County, CA. Oh, the green up there!

Thanks for those pictures too. And...hey...is that sky blue? Where's all the methane emissions?
    Yes! In dee face!

More than somewhat.
    *cream*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast