Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 82
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    908

    Current trail conditions Portland area Jan 2013

    Thought I would start a trail conditions thread for trails around Portland on a monthly basis. Trails like Browns Camp, Wilson River, Sandy Ridge, Growlers, Gorge etc...

    Please post up the conditions from your last local ride!


    Thanks!
    Last edited by bubba13; 12-30-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Stub Stewart is probably as wet as it will get. Not super sloppy, but the top layer of trail (especially with needles) is quite slippery. Makes riding a bit tough. I'd wait another couple days of dry before you're able to ride it hard.

  3. #3
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    We need some lower snow melt and drying, say anything below 1500'. Most of the good stuff is under the white stuff or is a patchy, muddy mess as of late Dec.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I'm interested to hear how Sandy Ridge is. Snow level and if it's become slippery.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,054
    I've heard Sandy is rideable, but slow/snowy. Growlers is good. Syncline is snowed in above the maui/moab junction, but melting. Should be good in a week.

  6. #6
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,714

    Gt 400

    Rode it from Ellowah Falls TH to Bonneville. Had to cut it short due to quite a bit of blowdown. I cleared as much as I could. The trail itself was in great shape. There may be less down East of where I rode. Fun, technical trail that holds up great in Winter with beautiful falls and views.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,450
    The Tarbell Trail vicinity is rocking right now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current trail conditions Portland area Jan 2013-ss.jpg  

    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  8. #8
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    @OHM: Silver Star?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    @OHM: Silver Star?
    Yep, This is from the summit and dropping onto the east side.

    This was on Saturday.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broccoli rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Anyone been to blackrock lately?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23
    BR is prime, watch the wood, plankenstein took me for a ride a few weeks ago and my wrist ended up sprained so been digging more than riding lately, but dirt is damn near prrrfect this week, prob head out on tues for some shredding

    OHM- oh my that looks delicious, ive been slacking this year on the skiing, still have to mount up the skis for new boots... bike bug bit me hard this year but come next week its back to my first love on the slopes

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NitroRC Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    188
    OHM - I gotta say that is one impressive photo

    Ed

  13. #13
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRC Ed View Post
    OHM - I gotta say that is one impressive photo

    Ed
    I'll drink to this!
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Anyone been to blackrock lately?
    Yep, hit it on Sunday as it was pretty close to prime time riding. Actually I give a double thumbs up as it is probably the best rolling trails right now in the whole state and perhaps the entire NW due to low snow all over the place. As of Sun it was snow free all the way to the top at 2000' with nice tacky tread all the way down. Only downer is the wood is a bit slippery, but can easily be avoided as needed. Trails are top notch and was pretty impressed since it has been almost 4yrs since I rode there last. So good, a couple of buddies went back down today as would as well but had to stay closer to home. This would be my ride of choice for the New Year if I could based on current conditions.

    Oh BTW, excellent shot OHM! Almost makes me want to take up snow sports again, almost.
    Ride On!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Rode it from Ellowah Falls TH to Bonneville. Had to cut it short due to quite a bit of blowdown. I cleared as much as I could. The trail itself was in great shape. There may be less down East of where I rode. Fun, technical trail that holds up great in Winter with beautiful falls and views.
    How long of a ride is this trail?

  16. #16
    Metalheadbikerider
    Reputation: free-agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,714

    If you ride....

    the entire thing, 16 miles out and back. I've only ridden 3+ miles of the 8, and it was slow going with all of the down branches/trees. When cleared, it is a helluva trail. I'm always surprised that it doesn't get mentioned more. It could use more people riding it.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

  17. #17
    The Other F Word
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    577
    Browns Camp: foot of snow in the parking lot, encrusted with 4X4s.

    Stub Stewart: bit slippery in spots, but perfect everywhere except for a bit of mud at the bottom of the XC loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,450
    FYI...I didn't snap the photo, but I am the subject in the photo.

    Here's a link to a TR from my ski partner.

    Silver Star ski trip
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    FYI...I didn't snap the photo, but I am the subject in the photo.

    Here's a link to a TR from my ski partner.

    Silver Star ski trip
    OHM,
    you always have a great slough of pics, these are really good and I wish that I was there to shred that pow! Nice work!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24
    Does anyone have an update on the conditions of Sandy Ridge? Is there to much snow to ride it from the top? Looking ot get a ride in on Saturday.

  21. #21
    I got nothin'
    Reputation: hydrogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    737
    North side of Scappy had a little shallow snow patches on New Years day, but all rideable. Trail is in good shape, but there are several trees down on the upper/higher trails.

    As of last Sunday, Growlers was in great shape up to the clear cut, then the snow got too deep. With the cold temps, I bet it's still not rideable.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

  22. #22
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    North side of Scappy had a little shallow snow patches on New Years day, but all rideable. Trail is in good shape, but there are several trees down on the upper/higher trails.

    As of last Sunday, Growlers was in great shape up to the clear cut, then the snow got too deep. With the cold temps, I bet it's still not rideable.
    Hey Fred! Happy New Year.

    --Davey Sprockett
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  23. #23
    I got nothin'
    Reputation: hydrogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    737
    Davey! Long time no see!

    Happy New Year!
    I ride at ludicrous speed

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broccoli rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    191
    Went to BR today. Trails were pretty much perfect. Great day.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23

    In case anyone was wondering what the top of Sandy Ridge looks like...

  26. #26
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,143
    So when it got 2 inches deep, you guys decided to keep going. Three inches: keep going! Four, five, what the heck!

    Were you able to ride the trail down, or was it too snowy?
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    So when it got 2 inches deep, you guys decided to keep going. Three inches: keep going! Four, five, what the heck!

    Were you able to ride the trail down, or was it too snowy?
    Ha basically. If we had to redo it we would have definitely taken the Hide 'n Seek cutoff, but it was a fun experience. The snow really picked up after the power lines. Once we got to the top, the trails still had quite a bit of snow. We rode any downhill part, but the uphill portions of Hide 'n Seek were a hike for us. I was pleasantly surprised with how much traction I had on the downhill portions, even with ~8" of snow on the trail. Once we got to the lower half of the trails they were fine. The bridge was a nice sheet of ice.

    We originally came to ride Two Turntables and a Microwave, but we were pretty exhausted once we got to the bench up top and just decided to go.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,086
    oDDicAL, thank you for the picture. I have been so tempted to go out to Sandy. The road bike and I are hanging out far too much lately. Good job trudging through it.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Went to Blackrock Sat. Trails were very ridable, however the wood was crazy slippery.

    Stub today, as slippery as I've ever seen it, but still ridable. Be careful on the climbs not to tear it up, and also on a coupe of the bigger jumps. The entry berms are slippery.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,450
    Here' another trail conditions report, this one from the Gunsight Ridge Trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current trail conditions Portland area Jan 2013-nearing-top..jpg  

    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,893

    Current Gorge conditions as of 1/8/13

    Good riding in the central Gorge today with about 3hrs of solid trail riding due to elevated freezing levels with seemingly warm temps (compared to what it was the week before). Lot of snow has melted...Halaleula, with only a few brief old wet patches here and there (easy to ride through) with effective snow line hovering around 1800' before it's too deep to continue. Rode two trails today in same area and was able to get up to 1800' on one and 1600' on the other for well over 3k' of descending and two different descents! Haven't been able to get up to this level on trail for about a month due to freezing temps keeping the snow around for days.

    Highlight of ride was coming accross a small heard of HUGE elk, about a dozen that I spooked while cruising on the trail mid-way. They decided to run thru the woods the same direction I was going on the trail..the race was on. I lost, but we rode parallel with each other for a good few minutes before they decided to ditch me. Never seen elk in the Gorge before, let alone that many and that big. They were about the size of moose so it seemed. Great ride today!
    Ride On!

  32. #32
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,335
    Okay that does it. You muthas are having TOO MUCH FUN! Meanwhile I'm WORKING!!!

    No freakin' fair. Wah.

    --sParty

    P.S. Hey OHM, nutha nice pic. I've got the first one as my desktop... and I don't even ski... good.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Jgusta, where were you riding? Thinking of hitting Syncline tomorrow.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    East/Central Gorge about 20 miles west of Syncline.
    Ride On!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Good riding in the central Gorge today with about 3hrs of solid trail riding due to elevated freezing levels with seemingly warm temps (compared to what it was the week before). Lot of snow has melted...Halaleula, with only a few brief old wet patches here and there (easy to ride through) with effective snow line hovering around 1800' before it's too deep to continue. Rode two trails today in same area and was able to get up to 1800' on one and 1600' on the other for well over 3k' of descending and two different descents! Haven't been able to get up to this level on trail for about a month due to freezing temps keeping the snow around for days.

    Highlight of ride was coming accross a small heard of HUGE elk, about a dozen that I spooked while cruising on the trail mid-way. They decided to run thru the woods the same direction I was going on the trail..the race was on. I lost, but we rode parallel with each other for a good few minutes before they decided to ditch me. Never seen elk in the Gorge before, let alone that many and that big. They were about the size of moose so it seemed. Great ride today!
    Cool, but pulling a Tuesday is pretty sweet to go along with it. Good for you. I went outside a few times. No wildlife though. I am moderately jealous.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Cool, but pulling a Tuesday is pretty sweet to go along with it. Good for you. I went outside a few times. No wildlife though. I am moderately jealous.
    Yep, was a rarity with Tues/mid-week ride as I had day off due to being randomly selected for Grand Jury duty for 4 weeks starting tommorrow. They let us have the day off to get things in order before serving. I wouldn't want to spend the day free doing anything else . I am draggin you out on next ride.
    Ride On!

  37. #37
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    East/Central Gorge about 20 miles west of Syncline.
    Okay, this sounds really mysterious. East/Central Gorge and 20 miles west of Syncline don't seem to go together. Oregon or Washington side?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Yep, was a rarity with Tues/mid-week ride as I had day off due to being randomly selected for Grand Jury duty for 4 weeks starting tommorrow. They let us have the day off to get things in order before serving. I wouldn't want to spend the day free doing anything else . I am draggin you out on next ride.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bikes are so clean right now. At least one of them is pissed off at me for sure. Let me know what is up. Folks are getting curious, eh? Cheers on the pre-trial getaway.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    I'm guessing Gorge 400, that's right around 20 miles.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I'm guessing Gorge 400, that's right around 20 miles.
    That's it, the most eastern section of it that handles the weather brilliantly despite heavy rain or not. Actually a little better in the rain to create a little more needle loam over the rocks. It's my bad weather/winter go to place since it starts at such low elevation and not as far of drive as Syncline and handles the heavy rain much better.
    Ride On!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Very nice. Eagle Creek to Cascade Locks? I almost went out and rode it today, but did a loop around my neighborhood. I should have went. Day turned out pretty nice...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    Anyone have a recent update on syncline? I was hoping to take a friend out there and show him around. Hoping to at a minimum get a few good laps on little moab.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Haven't ridden it (too much skiing to do this time of year), but am guessing it is dry and frozen. I can see the top of Hospital Hill from near my house (which is probably similar elevation, if not higher), and there is little to no snow on it. Ground even at lower elevations is frozen right now.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Haven't ridden it (too much skiing to do this time of year), but am guessing it is dry and frozen. I can see the top of Hospital Hill from near my house (which is probably similar elevation, if not higher), and there is little to no snow on it. Ground even at lower elevations is frozen right now.
    Oops. According to Gorge weather forecaster extraordinaire Temira (The Gorge is my Gym -- much more accurate in the real world than NOAA): "Syncline is going to be a mess and unrideable due to the freeze-thaw cycle."

    So, at least until the inversion we're seeing in the gorge ends, Syncline is not a good choice.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hoban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    417
    Hitting Backrock on Monday. Supposed to be sunny and 50. Woot!

    Anyone been out there in the past week? I hope the freeze didn't make it too slick...

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    I've heard its been holding up well. I will more than likely be making the trip down there saturday.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    If anyone is riding BR tomorrow and needs company let me know.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    23
    blackrock is holding a volunteer workday on sunday 9AM-3PM, check brmba.org for more info
    come join the party and toss some dirt around, feels good to give some love to the finest trails in the area, and we appreciate all the help we can get!

  49. #49
    ronbo613
    Guest
    Trails are unrideable; too cold


  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    black rock is holding up great! Perfect dirt today and it was really warm and sunny up top. I ran into a group from Idaho today. Thanks for letting me tag along and it was a great day of riding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •