Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Obviously Single
    So when it got 2 inches deep, you guys decided to keep going. Three inches: keep going! Four, five, what the heck!

Were you able to ride the trail down, or was it too snowy?
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    So when it got 2 inches deep, you guys decided to keep going. Three inches: keep going! Four, five, what the heck!

Were you able to ride the trail down, or was it too snowy?
    Ha basically. If we had to redo it we would have definitely taken the Hide 'n Seek cutoff, but it was a fun experience. The snow really picked up after the power lines. Once we got to the top, the trails still had quite a bit of snow. We rode any downhill part, but the uphill portions of Hide 'n Seek were a hike for us. I was pleasantly surprised with how much traction I had on the downhill portions, even with ~8" of snow on the trail. Once we got to the lower half of the trails they were fine. The bridge was a nice sheet of ice.

We originally came to ride Two Turntables and a Microwave, but we were pretty exhausted once we got to the bench up top and just decided to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    oDDicAL, thank you for the picture. I have been so tempted to go out to Sandy. The road bike and I are hanging out far too much lately. Good job trudging through it.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Went to Blackrock Sat. Trails were very ridable, however the wood was crazy slippery.

Stub today, as slippery as I've ever seen it, but still ridable. Be careful on the climbs not to tear it up, and also on a coupe of the bigger jumps. The entry berms are slippery.

mtbr member
    Here' another trail conditions report, this one from the Gunsight Ridge Trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current trail conditions Portland area Jan 2013-nearing-top..jpg  

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

Current Gorge conditions as of 1/8/13

Good riding in the central Gorge today with about 3hrs of solid trail riding due to elevated freezing levels with seemingly warm temps (compared to what it was the week before). Lot of snow has melted...Halaleula, with only a few brief old wet patches here and there (easy to ride through) with effective snow line hovering around 1800' before it's too deep to continue. Rode two trails today in same area and was able to get up to 1800' on one and 1600' on the other for well over 3k' of descending and two different descents! Haven't been able to get up to this level on trail for about a month due to freezing temps keeping the snow around for days.

Highlight of ride was coming accross a small heard of HUGE elk, about a dozen that I spooked while cruising on the trail mid-way. They decided to run thru the woods the same direction I was going on the trail..the race was on. I lost, but we rode parallel with each other for a good few minutes before they decided to ditch me. Never seen elk in the Gorge before, let alone that many and that big. They were about the size of moose so it seemed. Great ride today!
    Ride On!

meatier showers
    Okay that does it. You muthas are having TOO MUCH FUN! Meanwhile I'm WORKING!!!

No freakin' fair. Wah.

--sParty

P.S. Hey OHM, nutha nice pic. I've got the first one as my desktop... and I don't even ski... good.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jgusta, where were you riding? Thinking of hitting Syncline tomorrow.

mtbr member
    East/Central Gorge about 20 miles west of Syncline.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Good riding in the central Gorge today with about 3hrs of solid trail riding due to elevated freezing levels with seemingly warm temps (compared to what it was the week before). Lot of snow has melted...Halaleula, with only a few brief old wet patches here and there (easy to ride through) with effective snow line hovering around 1800' before it's too deep to continue. Rode two trails today in same area and was able to get up to 1800' on one and 1600' on the other for well over 3k' of descending and two different descents! Haven't been able to get up to this level on trail for about a month due to freezing temps keeping the snow around for days.

Highlight of ride was coming accross a small heard of HUGE elk, about a dozen that I spooked while cruising on the trail mid-way. They decided to run thru the woods the same direction I was going on the trail..the race was on. I lost, but we rode parallel with each other for a good few minutes before they decided to ditch me. Never seen elk in the Gorge before, let alone that many and that big. They were about the size of moose so it seemed. Great ride today!
    Cool, but pulling a Tuesday is pretty sweet to go along with it. Good for you. I went outside a few times. No wildlife though. I am moderately jealous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Cool, but pulling a Tuesday is pretty sweet to go along with it. Good for you. I went outside a few times. No wildlife though. I am moderately jealous.
    Yep, was a rarity with Tues/mid-week ride as I had day off due to being randomly selected for Grand Jury duty for 4 weeks starting tommorrow. They let us have the day off to get things in order before serving. I wouldn't want to spend the day free doing anything else . I am draggin you out on next ride.
    Ride On!

FKA Malibu412
    East/Central Gorge about 20 miles west of Syncline.
    Okay, this sounds really mysterious. East/Central Gorge and 20 miles west of Syncline don't seem to go together. Oregon or Washington side?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep, was a rarity with Tues/mid-week ride as I had day off due to being randomly selected for Grand Jury duty for 4 weeks starting tommorrow. They let us have the day off to get things in order before serving. I wouldn't want to spend the day free doing anything else . I am draggin you out on next ride.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bikes are so clean right now. At least one of them is pissed off at me for sure. Let me know what is up. Folks are getting curious, eh? Cheers on the pre-trial getaway.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing Gorge 400, that's right around 20 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I'm guessing Gorge 400, that's right around 20 miles.
    That's it, the most eastern section of it that handles the weather brilliantly despite heavy rain or not. Actually a little better in the rain to create a little more needle loam over the rocks. It's my bad weather/winter go to place since it starts at such low elevation and not as far of drive as Syncline and handles the heavy rain much better.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Very nice. Eagle Creek to Cascade Locks? I almost went out and rode it today, but did a loop around my neighborhood. I should have went. Day turned out pretty nice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone have a recent update on syncline? I was hoping to take a friend out there and show him around. Hoping to at a minimum get a few good laps on little moab.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Haven't ridden it (too much skiing to do this time of year), but am guessing it is dry and frozen. I can see the top of Hospital Hill from near my house (which is probably similar elevation, if not higher), and there is little to no snow on it. Ground even at lower elevations is frozen right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Haven't ridden it (too much skiing to do this time of year), but am guessing it is dry and frozen. I can see the top of Hospital Hill from near my house (which is probably similar elevation, if not higher), and there is little to no snow on it. Ground even at lower elevations is frozen right now.
    Oops. According to Gorge weather forecaster extraordinaire Temira (The Gorge is my Gym -- much more accurate in the real world than NOAA): "Syncline is going to be a mess and unrideable due to the freeze-thaw cycle."

So, at least until the inversion we're seeing in the gorge ends, Syncline is not a good choice.

mtbr member
    Hitting Backrock on Monday. Supposed to be sunny and 50. Woot!

Anyone been out there in the past week? I hope the freeze didn't make it too slick...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've heard its been holding up well. I will more than likely be making the trip down there saturday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If anyone is riding BR tomorrow and needs company let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    blackrock is holding a volunteer workday on sunday 9AM-3PM, check brmba.org for more info
    come join the party and toss some dirt around, feels good to give some love to the finest trails in the area, and we appreciate all the help we can get!

ronbo613
    Trails are unrideable; too cold

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    black rock is holding up great! Perfect dirt today and it was really warm and sunny up top. I ran into a group from Idaho today. Thanks for letting me tag along and it was a great day of riding!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast