Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Current trail conditions PDX area SPRING 2013!

Guess it is time for a new thread since it is now spring.

Post up conditions from your last ride.

Syncline was good on Sunday with a few sections of mud in the normal places where drainage is an issue. Hats off to WTA for trail rework on Hidden Valley. Was bummed that they removed the dirt S curve/drop, but it was not a sustainable section of trail. The trail still retains the technical rocky drop sections.

Heard Sandy Ridge was snow from bottom to top on Saturday morning. Does anyone have an update on Sandy?
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sandy is a mess in regards to snow. At least 8" at the kiosk. The trail down was covered and difficult to navigate due to the "tree drips". Good accumalation plus "drips" made for poor traction and it was a wrestling match attempting to keep up enough momentum to roll up and over anything. Expect wet feet and very little pleasure. I should have gone to Syncline. The lower section was muddy... no surprise, expected that.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Thanks poppa#1. I will be avoiding Sandy for a while.

mtbr member
    Rode stub yesterday and at the end of the ride my bike had no mud accumulation on it!! First time that's happened since summer. Even more amazing is that it was my first ride on a brand new bike! All the trail building must be earning me some serious karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    Rode stub yesterday and at the end of the ride my bike had no mud accumulation on it!! First time that's happened since summer. Even more amazing is that it was my first ride on a brand new bike! All the trail building must be earning me some serious karma.
    Coworker rode Gales Creek yesterday and had a similar experience. I don't know about Brown's, but the Tillamook is sounding pretty good right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Coworker rode Gales Creek yesterday and had a similar experience. I don't know about Brown's, but the Tillamook is sounding pretty good right now.
    Any down trees or washout on any sections on Gales, Michael? Thought you and Rich were going to hit Syncline on Sunday AM as it was pretty obvious Sandy was still going to be a mess from all the lower elevation snow on Friday and weekend reports. I got to Syncline at noon and rode til almost 4:30pm with Doug and Topher. Good riding, baby p. oak is just starting to pop in lower sections though. Kind of pleased with Hidden re-routes as well, even though the trail is not as fast due to new re-construction. Pleased they kept the rocky chutes, but some of the re-routes are obviously a bit slower to ride as before. Should get better with time though, I hope.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    It'll be some time before we're riding bikes on the Gunsight Ridge Trail, but I'll gladly take this any day. From Friday, 3/22, had the whole place to ourselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current trail conditions PDX area SPRING 2013!-turns.jpg  

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Any down trees or washout on any sections on Gales, Michael? Thought you and Rich were going to hit Syncline on Sunday AM as it was pretty obvious Sandy was still going to be a mess from all the lower elevation snow on Friday and weekend reports. I got to Syncline at noon and rode til almost 4:30pm with Doug and Topher. Good riding, baby p. oak is just starting to pop in lower sections though. Kind of pleased with Hidden re-routes as well, even though the trail is not as fast due to new re-construction. Pleased they kept the rocky chutes, but some of the re-routes are obviously a bit slower to ride as before. Should get better with time though, I hope.
    The report I received was no mud and no blow down on Gales. I will ask how much they rode tomorrow. I did not even think Sandy had snow 'til I arrived. Rich made other plans and so had I. I am pleased to hear your report of Hidden... I always expect the worse. I would have gone to Syncline if " I Only Had A Heart(clue)". Cheers!

mtbr member
    I rode Browns camp / historic trail a few weeks ago and counted 13 trees on / cross trail. I have no idea if any saw clean up has been done since then.

mtbr member
    The report I received was no mud and no blow down on Gales. I will ask how much they rode tomorrow
    Cool, let's hit it on Sat AM? The wifey will be home from work for once on Sat to watch the kiddos so I got a pass to get out. I miss me a good Gales run and don't care to ride Sandy til' all the snow is gone from very top to bottom.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wilson River Trail is great. No trees down and almost no mud at all. If you head east out of Jones Creek, there are a couple of inches of snow at the top of the hill up to the view point, but it is totally rideable. I imagine that it will be gone in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the best way to ride gales creek?
    Also if anyone rides sandy on 3-27 give an update. I'd like to go for an after work ride on friday and sandy is about the best thing I'd have time for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How much of a ride are you looking for finch? The typical run this time of year is parking at the gate to Gales Cr. CG. Head down past the gate to the TH. Longer version from here is up the 2 miles that follows the hwy to Browns Camp and do the Historic Trail up to Storey Burn. Then do an out and back on Gales (from the bridge that will lead you back to the starting TH). The shorter version is to skip the first 2 miles and the Historic Trail altogether. Instead of following the hwy trail you will head towards the creek TH. This leads to the bridge that you would see coming down Storey Burn. Cross bridge and turn right. Go as far as you want to O & B from here. You can access Ravens Ridge and/or Reehers Camp from the "top". I have no idea what the trail conditions are up there. If this does not make sense I apologize. I am riding Sunday, but I am on a schedule. I may very well end up doing this. It usually has a higher "fun factor" than Wilson River.

-Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Makes perfect sense thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Cool, let's hit it on Sat AM? The wifey will be home from work for once on Sat to watch the kiddos so I got a pass to get out. I miss me a good Gales run and don't care to ride Sandy til' all the snow is gone from very top to bottom.
    Can I get in on this Gales action? I've been itching to get back out there. I think I can hang. If not, I know my way around the area and you'd be free to drop me =^)

mtbr member
    How much of a ride are you looking for finch? The typical run this time of year is parking at the gate to Gales Cr. CG. Head down past the gate to the TH. Longer version from here is up the 2 miles that follows the hwy to Browns Camp and do the Historic Trail up to Storey Burn. Then do an out and back on Gales (from the bridge that will lead you back to the starting TH). The shorter version is to skip the first 2 miles and the Historic Trail altogether. Instead of following the hwy trail you will head towards the creek TH. This leads to the bridge that you would see coming down Storey Burn. Cross bridge and turn right. Go as far as you want to O & B from here. You can access Ravens Ridge and/or Reehers Camp from the "top". I have no idea what the trail conditions are up there. If this does not make sense I apologize. I am riding Sunday, but I am on a schedule. I may very well end up doing this. It usually has a higher "fun factor" than Wilson River.

-Cheers!
    So do I understand that the "loop" including storey burn is preferably ridden counter-clockwise? I rode is clockwise last year and wasn't impressed. Also please explain the higher fun factor vs wrt, faster, more tech??

Does the northern end of gales not get as much maintenance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    So do I understand that the "loop" including storey burn is preferably ridden counter-clockwise? I rode is clockwise last year and wasn't impressed. Also please explain the higher fun factor vs wrt, faster, more tech??

Does the northern end of gales not get as much maintenance?
    The descending is simply better and the climbs are short. I appreciate Wilson River because it is "rideable" when many places are not. The effort for Wilson does not match the reward though. Obviously everyone has their preferences. There is nothing technical on Wilson... nothing. The last trip on Gales was fine in regards to maintenance, but I will always miss the "old Gales Creek" trail. Kind of weird to think about the trail builder who died attempting to restore that washed out mess. Back to the fun factor... there are some smokin' sections on the Historic Trail and the Storey Burn descent is a ripper. The lower end of Wilson(from ATV land after the bridge) is pretty lame. I still ride it, but I often stop at the Forestry Center, get water and head back instead. If the descent to Reehers is in good shape that is a fun drop too. Neither place are in my top ten local areas, btw.

B42
    mtbr member
    Sandy Ridge is doing great. All the snow on the lower half is gone and the trail is mostly dry (no mud, just some soft spots) and fast (some minor damage from the recent weather, but nothing to worry about it). I was told the top half had just 2 snow spots on Rock Drop, and some still on the road going up (one was ridable, one wasn't). Nothing that would stop anyone from having fun.

BTW, it's sunny and warm up here right now.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just got back from sandy and trails are money. No snow on the trails except one 8' long patch on the very beginning climb to rock drop and it's totally ridable. I bet its gone in a day or two anyway. The dirt was super tacky and fast all over the mountain. No snow on the road climb at all. All this talk of gales creek has me thinking of hitting that on saturday but sandy was so good I might go back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Just got back from sandy and trails are money. No snow on the trails except one 8' long patch on the very beginning climb to rock drop and it's totally ridable. I bet its gone in a day or two anyway. The dirt was super tacky and fast all over the mountain. No snow on the road climb at all. All this talk of gales creek has me thinking of hitting that on saturday but sandy was so good I might go back.
    Thanks for the update finch. I may get out of today with some fun under my belt!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Syncline and Hospital Hill (above the hospital) were awesome today. Syncline was swarming with hikers. I would avoid Cry Baby and Maui Waterfalls due to the hikers. The jeep trail is the ticket for getting to the top...and Millennium Trail was good at Hospital Hill.

Sandy Ridge sounds good. I will be buzzing up there on Monday. Good to hear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode sandy's ridge hard again today and hit every trail she has to offer for a couple of laps. Good conditions all around, and i'll also add that communication breakdown was snow free as well. The downed tree on two turntables has been cleared, so go hall balls and have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix View Post
    Can I get in on this Gales action? I've been itching to get back out there. I think I can hang. If not, I know my way around the area and you'd be free to drop me =^)
    Sorry, I just caught this now Dennis. bubba13 and I rode Gales on Sat, with everyone else so it seemed as well. Trails were great and better the further you went. I was on a bit of a time crunch, but still managed to ride to about a mile from Reheers on all trail with start at Gales CG. Only about three trees and one small washout on Gales to have to get off the bike for, but at 8.5 miles of trail that is not bad at all. Like I said lots of folks out on it, small hiker groups and bike groups, but had no one on the backside of Gales toward Reheers and conditions were pretty fast. Fortunately, only had to pass a couple of hiker groups on the return for 6 miles of mostly uninterrupted trail flow. The closest thing to riding a roller coaster of a trail around here for me on the return.

My preferred route is just out/back from CG, up to top of Bell Rd. down backside of Gales towards Reheers or 1 mile easy fire road pedal to top of Raven's Ridge DH trail and back up to top of Bell for the 6 mile all single trail return on Gales Creek Trail. And, I prefer going at end of day, like 3pm or so as most rider groups already did there ride there earlier in the day and usually only run into foot traffic on the narrow trails on the way up for nice uninterrupted ride on the way back, like a Rollercoaster!

Cheers,
    Holler, Brandon or Dennis if you want to hit it up sometime. Usually about 3-4hr ride depending on speed and Sunday afternoons are usually my preferred and only available time to go.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry, I just caught this now Dennis. bubba13 and I rode Gales on Sat, with everyone else so it seemed as well. Trails were great and better the further you went. I was on a bit of a time crunch, but still managed to ride to about a mile from Reheers on all trail with start at Gales CG. Only about three trees and one small washout on Gales to have to get off the bike for, but at 8.5 miles of trail that is not bad at all. Like I said lots of folks out on it, small hiker groups and bike groups, but had no one on the backside of Gales toward Reheers and conditions were pretty fast. Fortunately, only had to pass a couple of hiker groups on the return for 6 miles of mostly uninterrupted trail flow. The closest thing to riding a roller coaster of a trail around here for me on the return.

My preferred route is just out/back from CG, up to top of Bell Rd. down backside of Gales towards Reheers or 1 mile easy fire road pedal to top of Raven's Ridge DH trail and back up to top of Bell for the 6 mile all single trail return on Gales Creek Trail. And, I prefer going at end of day, like 3pm or so as most rider groups already did there ride there earlier in the day and usually only run into foot traffic on the narrow trails on the way up for nice uninterrupted ride on the way back, like a Rollercoaster!

Cheers,
    Holler, Brandon or Dennis if you want to hit it up sometime. Usually about 3-4hr ride depending on speed and Sunday afternoons are usually my preferred and only available time to go.

No worries and thanks for the trail report. Ended up having a pretty darn good day out at Post instead. I will definitely take you up on the ride offer though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How was the mud at post?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast