Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    FKA Malibu412

Current trail conditions PDX area February 2013

Call it my OCD or whatever but the previous current trail conditions thread was titled January so I figured it's time to change the calendar. This is the place to list your trail conditions report for February 2013 around PDX and SWWA.

I'm heading to Cold Creek for the first time in months so I'll get back here with the most up-to-date 411 on this SWWA gem. Out.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

FKA Malibu412

Snow

Pretty much as I expected for Feb 9. The snow at Cold Creek is still holding in pretty well at about the 2300' level and up. Took the road up to 5 Corners where we took this pic. Pretty much not rideable from here up. Some patchy spots on the way down then the tread gets quite decent. Lots of smaller blow down/limbs but otherwise all clear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just wanted to let you all know, I rode Post Canyon today and the dirt is good. Started at Family Man, rode up Riodoran to the FR trail (#150 I think), and rode that about 10 times. Then found a pump track, some new skinnies, and the good news that Drop Out was cleared up from the storm last year. I've not had much luck finding my way around Post Canyon in the past, so I was anticipating heading over to Syncline for some more pedal time, but was so stoked on Post Canyon, I just stayed.

Nothing but sunshine overhead, good dirt, very few puddles of standing water, some snow on the road up top, but the trails were all good.

Obviously Single
    Rode the Wilson River Trail yesterday (2/9), at the far West End, and it was in excellent condition. There were 3 trees down, but all could be stepped over or under.

Here's a link to a quick video from the end of the ride: Helipad View from WRT West - YouTube
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Thanks for the CC report as I haven't ridden there in months as well and itching to check out too, especially since sporting a new ride this past month. Crazy how long snow is holding around 2k' and above. With that said, Syncline was quite the treat today and imagine BR would be as well.
    Ride On!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Three Corner Rock is snowy. About 2k or a little less the snow started as Gus stated. I hear the logging is being postponed up there

Singletrack Addict
    Did some laps on Lower Hide-n-Seek with my 14 y/o son yesterday. Dirt was in great shape. Appears to be possible to get all the way to the top. Might head out there again tomorrow (Tuesday 2/12).

Haven't been on 3CR since last summer. Did you get as far as the creek crossing, Jaybo?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    Haven't been on 3CR since last summer. Did you get as far as the creek crossing, Jaybo?
    It would be pretty difficult to get to the creek right now. Some friends rode there Sunday the 10th and were turned around by snow just a bit above 2K elevation.

Singletrack Addict
    Kinda figured, but if you can get close to the top of that second climb, it's downhill to Stebbins Creek. Of course it's deep in a shaded valley . . .

Well, I'll be heading out to Sandy Ridge tomorrow regardless. Got some beta that there's some hiking on the road to get through some snow, but Hide-n-Seek is clear from the top.

mtbr member
    Got a ride in at Browns camp today. Tread is in good shape with a couple of small spots with snow. Lots of limbs down and spent some time cleaning and cutting the small stuff. The worst of it is the 13 10"+ logs down over the trail. Excellent day for a ride!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I rode Sandy Ridge today, in shorts and a t-shirt (woohoo!)

The road is clear of snow except for the last 3/4 of a mile or so. So there's a little bit of hiking but the snow is fairly packed down so it's not bad at all. I didn't find any significant amounts of snow on the trails, either. Just a little patch here and there near the top.

There's a decent sized tree down across the trail on "two turntables" (near the beginning) , but you have enough warning to stop in time. Assuming you're not running v-brakes, of course.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Got a ride in at Browns camp today. Tread is in good shape with a couple of small spots with snow. Lots of limbs down and spent some time cleaning and cutting the small stuff. The worst of it is the 13 10"+ logs down over the trail. Excellent day for a ride!
    Any word on Gales, especially up near Bell Camp Rd? I have a Sat free for once even though might be a little showery and was thinking about venturing out to Gales, but only if I can get to Bell Camp to descend the backside as well and/or maybe Raven's. Holler if you want to ride manana, Lee.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sandy ridge is muddy and wet in a lot of places. Still 8-10'' of snow on the last 1/2-3/4 mile of the road climb.

Singletrack Addict
    Rode Three Corner Rock today. What a blessing of a day. Never believe the weatherman. We made it down to Stebbins Creek. There was some snow patches, but I managed to ride over most of them.

Trail was in awesome shape. Felt good to get in some intense climbing.

mtbr member

Re: Current trail conditions PDX area February 2013

Drip Torch at Stub was finally dry enough to rip it fully on Sunday. Weird though, the easy downhill was pretty sloppy, as was the rest of the trails.

I'm really tired of the winter...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Any word on Gales, especially up near Bell Camp Rd? I have a Sat free for once even though might be a little showery and was thinking about venturing out to Gales, but only if I can get to Bell Camp to descend the backside as well and/or maybe Raven's. Holler if you want to ride manana, Lee.
    I rode Gales Creek from the campground north on Sunday. There were a half dozen trees down, mostly on the first three or four miles and then further out there are some fresh rock falls. About 6.5 miles out there is a tree down that took out a 20' section of the trail with its root wad. I wasn't aware that they were actively logging the section up there on the weekdays between the campground and Storey Burn. Kind of a bummer.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post

Brace yourself. Don't be fooled by this false sense of spring. I believe we will still see some winter weather and a soggy couple of months is yet to come. This bit of spring-like weather has been nice, but it always comes around this time of year to tease us a little.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Drip Torch at Stub was finally dry enough to rip it fully on Sunday. Weird though, the easy downhill was pretty sloppy, as was the rest of the trails.

It has not even started to rain yet... "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most".
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampir View Post
    I rode Gales Creek from the campground north on Sunday. There were a half dozen trees down, mostly on the first three or four miles and then further out there are some fresh rock falls. About 6.5 miles out there is a tree down that took out a 20' section of the trail with its root wad. I wasn't aware that they were actively logging the section up there on the weekdays between the campground and Storey Burn. Kind of a bummer.
    Thanks for the report, much appreciated. Sound like some trail restoration needs to happen some to get it ready for spring riding there! I ended up heading east instead on Sat just to avoid any chance of rain since I am down a rain jacket for the moment.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Been a good winter to me, especially with pretty dry Jan and Feb so far. If it wasn't for fairly low level snow lines lingering about, would be about as good as I would want it to be. Stoked to have gotten 7 good trail rides in the past 9 days! No complaining here!

Yes, the rain will eventually come. If not fairly soon, will be a wet spring more than likely.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the report, much appreciated. Sound like some trail restoration needs to happen some to get it ready for spring riding there! I ended up heading east instead on Sat just to avoid any chance of rain since I am down a rain jacket for the moment.
    What happened to the new one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    What happened to the new one?
    I took advantage of Gore's great satisfaction guarantee with replacement jacket that is on it's way due to very poor breathability amidst cold/wet temps (The expensive waterproof jacket didn't perform much better than my old $40 one did in the past). They are sending me an updated version with different shell material (active shell vs paclite material) that's suppose to breath much better when things start cooking.

Fortunately, it's been so dry and nice that I haven't had to use any waterproof anything for a while (my favorite kind of winter here). Riding tonight afterwork with lights for 8 good, slop-less trail rides in 10 days!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I took advantage of Gore's great satisfaction guarantee with replacement jacket that is on it's way due to very poor breathability amidst cold/wet temps (The expensive waterproof jacket didn't perform much better than my old $40 one did in the past). They are sending me an updated version with different shell material (active shell vs paclite material) that's suppose to breath much better when things start cooking.

Fortunately, it's been so dry and nice that I haven't had to use any waterproof anything for a while (my favorite kind of winter here). Riding tonight afterwork with lights for 8 good, slop-less trail rides in 10 days!
    I will drink to that! Nice follow through with Gore.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone know how Rocky Point Road is on the XC side?

mtbr member
    The Tarbell Trail vicinity is still under snow...

We were able to easily ski down to 2700', and if it were not for avy debris lower on the hill, we could have easily gone another 200'+ lower.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast