Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    ANy idea of the snow level at Sandy?

FKA Malibu412
    @ Hoban: my guess is there is still some snow on the road climb up but that H&S is mostly clear and there are patches of snow on the upper trails. H&S and TTM should be very rideable.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    snow still remains on the last 1/2 mile of the road climb and patches on the upper elevation trails. HS and TTM are good to go for the most part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know what the current state of the trails at post canyon are in? What's ridable?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think most of its is rideable now. If you go to the HRATS website you can find a link to the currently open trails.

I rode up the newly re-constructed (and newly de-forested) Seven Streams trail and around Family Man this afternoon (I was on cross bike and mostly riding roads). The trails were in really nice shape -- tacky with very little mud. Subject to change with tomorrow's rain, of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    Anyone know what the current state of the trails at post canyon are in? What's ridable?
    Sorry -- my post above was meant to respond to Finch's post re Post Canyon. Pressed the wrong button. And the "edit" function doesn't appear to be working.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ended up riding post canyon today. Good dirt all over with very few greasy spots. Lower post canyon was the muddiest and I'd hardly call it muddy.
    I'll likely be riding black rock on friday and either sandy ridge or something else in hood river on saturday. Get it while its good.

mtbr member

Re: Current trail conditions PDX area February 2013

Stub is pretty slippery, mostly the XC trails. Still ridable, just watch the skidding. Drip Torch was weirdly dry a couple days ago.

As of today, Sandy Ridge still has 4-6 inches of snow on the road the last 1/2 mile to the top. Two Turntables and 338 was pretty dry. Rock Drop and Hide and Seek was pretty wet. Good day to ride though!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was at sandy this AM and 338, quid pro flow, and Two Turn Tables was rockin. Much drier on that side of the hill. I talked to a few others who reported that upper HS was puddle city. Still snow at the top so plan on hiking through the slush.
    Oh and also there is a tree across the trail at about chest hight on TTM and if you are hauling balls down the hill like I was, you might close line yourself. That was a close one!
    Last edited by finch6013; 03-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Current trail conditions PDX area February 2013

Finch, was that you on the Giant? I was on the Santa Cruz with the dog...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep that was me. Nice running into you, I'd have introduced myself more had I known.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Brown's camp trail/loop and Gales Creek are great and snow free right now 3/4. Good condition with little mud considering the season. They should be great until it starts to rain again.

mtbr member
    Thanks JPDX, I'm always leary of hitting it in the winter. I've been there as a mud fest. Bleh.

Blackrock is PRIMO right now. Tacky, wood is completely dry. Money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone ride sandy ridge today (thursday)? Thinking about calling out of work to ride it tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Me and a friend are headed to Sandy at noonish tomorrow. I bet Hide and Seek will still be pretty wet (but ridable), but I'm hoping the upper trails dried out a bit. It was that way last Friday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a feeling upper HS will be wet. I'd place my bet on quid-338-Two Turn Tables-lower HS. I did that loop last week and it was quite dry for the conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rode it last weekend as well, mostly wondering how the rain earlier this week affected it. Guess I'll find out this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Sandy actually dried out a bit in the last week and the snow on the road is getting real thin, only have to walk a little bit.

mtbr member
    Another trip to Silver Star to check on the annual snow melt for all of you. We did run into a couple guys on mt bikes riding the snow covered roads, I think we brought the proper tools though. Our tracks are from the saddle down to the lower left of the pic, which amounted to about 1200 vertical feet.

This was last Saturday, March 9th.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current trail conditions PDX area February 2013-skiing.jpg  

I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Rode Post Canyon today and it is really screwed up. Kind of made me sick. The logging has destroyed the area and the trails are mucky. HR has taken a pounding in the last few years....

FKA Malibu412
    Hey it's middle of March already. Time for a March update thread.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Rode Post Canyon today and it is really screwed up. Kind of made me sick. The logging has destroyed the area and the trails are mucky. HR has taken a pounding in the last few years....
    The ground is so saturated this time of year that it only takes a little rain to take it from nice and tacky to soup. Went for a run up there on Saturday -- waaay too wet to ride, IMHO. Did not stop quite a few folks from chewing the hell out of the trails anyway. Earlier in the week, before the rain, it was nice.

Not a huge fan of clearcuts either, but Post Canyon is a tree farm in which we're allowed to build temporary trails. I wish that wasn't the case, but that is the reality. They did a heck of a job rebuilding Seven Streams and getting almost all of the trails cleared, repaired and re-opened so quickly. Looking forward to it drying out!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Oh I know but I used to love riding through that forest and it sucks. I used to ride out there almost everyday after work and it was so chill and fun. I get it but Whoop De Doo got hammered many years ago and it still isn't the same...and was it awesome. It sounds like Hospital Hill is next...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I get it but Whoop De Doo got hammered many years ago and it still isn't the same...and was it awesome.
    It sure was! Gorge Games 24 hr races, first place I ever got poison oak, rides with my sons. Has it been rebuilt? Or is half of it still finding ones way through clearcut roads?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Camba and others have rebuilt it and it is pretty good. I didn't know about Oak and broke a chain and walked out through the forest. I must have had Oak juice on my hands because I rubbed an eye that almost closed shut due to oak. Oh the memories...loved HR in the day. Well I still love HR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast