Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324

    Current Bend trail conditions

    Hey,
    wondering what the trail conditions are/what is ride able right now, thinking of coming over friday morning to ride friday and saturday.

  2. #2
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    Hey,
    wondering what the trail conditions are/what is ride able right now, thinking of coming over friday morning to ride friday and saturday.
    I would only recommend Maston, Horse Ridge, and sections of Horse Butte. Anyone hitting the trails West of town is causing ruts and damage. Therefore, please stay away from Phil's, Marvin's, Ben's, Kent's, and other Westside trails. Personally, I will be at Maston this weekend. Not sure about Peterson Ridge in Sisters. Although, I suspect it is wet and muddy. Therfore, not recommended due to the freeze/thaw conditions that cause ruts to become solid.
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  3. #3
    please, just ride
    Reputation: seedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    208
    What He Said^
    BUILD,RIDE,REPEAT.
    Support COTA and your Local Brewery

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    I would only recommend Maston, Horse Ridge, and sections of Horse Butte. Anyone hitting the trails West of town is causing ruts and damage. Therefore, please stay away from Phil's, Marvin's, Ben's, Kent's, and other Westside trails. Personally, I will be at Maston this weekend. Not sure about Peterson Ridge in Sisters. Although, I suspect it is wet and muddy. Therfore, not recommended due to the freeze/thaw conditions that cause ruts to become solid.
    ya thanks that what i figured we are so used to riding in the mud over on the west side of the mountains because it doesn't freeze like it does on the east.

    neither my riding bud or myself have rode maston, is it easy to find?

  5. #5
    limplizard
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    is it easy to find?
    Easy to find: Maston

  6. #6
    it means 'no problem'
    Reputation: sans soucie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    506
    And Horse Ridge is nice, too if you like views, tech and climbing / descending...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    I'm on the east side of town. Just enough water fell out here to make Horse Ridge ground perfect for riding. I think I am going to get a dozen miles in this afternoon.
    Bend, Oregon

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie View Post
    And Horse Ridge is nice, too if you like views, tech and climbing / descending...
    i like views, tech and descending, i just struggle with the climbing part

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by limplizard View Post
    Easy to find: Maston
    thanks for the link, for some reason i always forget what a nice web site cota has, maybe i'll learn my lesson someday and check for stuff on their site

  10. #10
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082

    Don't hit the Westside Trails (Photos attached)

    Please stay off the muddy trails! I noticed major ruts at the trailhead today during a quick inspection visit. Thank you!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Current Bend trail conditions-bens-mud.jpg  

    Current Bend trail conditions-kents-mud.jpg  

    Current Bend trail conditions-marvins.jpg  

    Current Bend trail conditions-phils-mud.jpg  

    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5
    I'm planning a spring break trip the last week of March. Typically are things any drier then?

  12. #12
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by danzante View Post
    I'm planning a spring break trip the last week of March. Typically are things any drier then?
    Completely depends on the weather. My experience is that April is the start of the season in the Phil's Area. Although some years it is later. We have had some crazy weather around here lately. Therefore, this Spring may be typical Central Oregon.... Completely unpredictable...
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  13. #13
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,410
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to be in Bend this weekend too, Saturday and Sunday. Also I'd be down to meet up with anyone who wants to ride/show me around. I'm out of shape and on a ss for frame of reference.
    - Simon

  14. #14
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,526
    Please, God, give me a high paying job in Bend so we can move there The Phil's Trailhead gives me some major excitement The pathway to breathe taking trails!

  15. #15
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Please, God, give me a high paying job in Bend so we can move there The Phil's Trailhead gives me some major excitement The pathway to breathe taking trails!
    Lucky to live here!!! Pain to keep folks off the trails when they are muddy..... Our trails do ROCK!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  16. #16
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    909
    The best way to have a high paying job in Bend is to bring one with you. Great place to work self employed if you don't need to rely on the local economy. Now is the time to be taking advantage of the snow and doing some sort of skiing. Although I can't wait to take my new RDO on the extensive trail system just outside my back door.

  17. #17
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,526
    I know, I lived there for a summer and it is poverty with a view for many State jobs are not something you can take to another State and are not high paying but the PERS and retirement benefits are tough to beat. If I had a job I could do anywhere it would be done in Moab, St. George, Santa Cuz,or Sedona

    Congratulations on the RDO. Sweet!!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9
    Hello
    I usually ride Phils early in the morning when it is still frozen. This weekend the low temps dont look like they are going to drop down enough to freeze the ground so I will be looking for another trail. Maston looks good but I need to take my biking partner, my dog. Is Maston a dog friendly trail? What oher trails around bend are good for dogs?

    Sure like the Phils!

  19. #19
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulcheese View Post
    Hello
    I usually ride Phils early in the morning when it is still frozen. This weekend the low temps dont look like they are going to drop down enough to freeze the ground so I will be looking for another trail. Maston looks good but I need to take my biking partner, my dog. Is Maston a dog friendly trail? What oher trails around bend are good for dogs?

    Sure like the Phils!
    I appreciate that you hit Phil's when it is frozen. I would prefer that folks just stay away from the area for at least a couple more months. Maston is dog friendly. As is Horse Butte and Horse Ridge. If you have to ride on the West Side for convenience, please hit the Forest Service Roads. Thanks!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  20. #20
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,410
    So anyone wanna ride with an out of towner Saturday or Sunday? Any group rides?
    - Simon

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    So anyone wanna ride with an out of towner Saturday or Sunday? Any group rides?
    didn't check this till tonight, always welcome new riding partners, but we were only able to ride today. we rode two laps out at horse ridge, my first time there and it was awesome, loved it. we planned on hitting another trail in the afternoon but one of our group tacoed his front wheel on the 2nd lap. i will be back in bend the weekend of march 17, if you want to ride then pm me and hopefully we can meet up and ride.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    324
    What oher trails around bend are good for dogs?

    we had a dog with us today at horse ridge and saw many other dogs on the trail

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    754
    I have never seen that many cars in the parking area as yesterday. That was crazy. Normally there is only 4-5 cars total, so a lot less dogs.

    Great out there yesterday!
    Bend, Oregon

  24. #24
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by jaewannabe View Post
    didn't check this till tonight, always welcome new riding partners, but we were only able to ride today. we rode two laps out at horse ridge, my first time there and it was awesome, loved it. we planned on hitting another trail in the afternoon but one of our group tacoed his front wheel on the 2nd lap. i will be back in bend the weekend of march 17, if you want to ride then pm me and hopefully we can meet up and ride.
    Rode there today as well and had a blast. Seriously great trails especially for winter. I'll be near Bend for work on and off this Spring and Summer so I will let you know, thanks.
    - Simon

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    293
    Just in case anyone is wondering, Grey Butte is in terrible shape. Went out yesterday hoping for some trail riding, but found the trails in "thaw" conditions. Yuck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •