mtbr member

Cross Up @ The Lumberyard

Hey ya'll

This event is going on this Saturday evening (5 ish?) at the Lumberyard (no, the lumberyard isn't really open yet). The poster is a little misleading: This will be a indoor 'cyclocross' race on sections of pavement and wooden park features, including dismounts.

They will be providing bikes: singlespeed Raleigh disc cross bikes with with 'fat' slicks, flat pedals and riser bars (im not 100% sure on this one, but it seemed like they were not going to have drop bars). I guess the big prize is one of these bikes to take home.

I am in no way affiliated with either the Lumberyard or this/these 'Backyard Blam' folks, I just talked to someone about it because I was confused about the details.

It looks like a good opportunity to race for cheap ($10), as well as an opportunity to get a look inside the Lumberyard, drink a bunch of cheap beer, and watch people crash.

The lumberyard is the indoor bike park (ala Ray's in Ohio) that they've supposedly nearly finished building in Portland, if you're unfamiliar.

Tactical Nightmare
    You probably already saw this, but there is some info on The Lumberyard's website too. It does look like a pretty fun event. I'm going to have to check out The Lumberyard sometime, as it really isn't that far away from me.....relatively speaking of course.

LUMBERYARD MTB - Splash Page

Man, I wish I could own a business like that!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been a big fan of Ray's for over 6 years now (the one perk of having my parents still live in Cleveland), so I'm always skeptical of new "indoor bike parks". I'm hoping the best with this one.

I do have to say I'm shocked that they missed the winter window for opening. I mean they're opening in May, and I have to assume that most of their business will come in the winter months when it's crappy and dark out and people don't want to/can't ride outside.

Ray's is only open for 7 months a year, as it gets to hot in there in the summer and who wants to ride indoors then anyway.

I am hoping that this park is great though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry View Post
    Hey ya'll

The poster is a little misleading: This will be a indoor 'cyclocross' race on sections of pavement and wooden park features, including dismounts.
    Good to know, I was a little skeptical of racing modified CX bikes on wooden obstacles, after drinking free beer, after drinking for the super bowl. But I see there will be some pavement in there, so all good!

what the quan?!
    damn, forgot this was going on.
    even worse, I just found out I live about a stone's throw from the place... I tell ya...