Formerly of Kent

Crook County Crush 7/18/09

Anyone headed down to Prineville this weekend?

Looks like a pretty brutal course, at least in terms of elevation gain vs. distance. 6,000ft in approximately 27 miles. Ouch.

http://www.halffastvelo.com/09_CrookXC.htm

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8506654

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll be there! Sounds like a fun one, hot too.

it means 'no problem'
    We at COTA are taking a guarded view of this event for a couple reasons:

1. Their required mitigation to reduce social impacts is weak or non-existent
    2. The trail work they claim to have done was not so the course, as of this writing, has plenty of downed logs.

IF you do this race PLEASE respect the horse riders you will encounter on the trails by YIELDING to them. This is VERY important in the respect that all it would take is one "bad" encounter and those trails will be closed to mountain bikes for good. I mean really people, Lookout Mt. is already a Roadless Area and therefore held in high regard by the Oregon Wilderness Coalition. PLEASE be extra courteous so mountain bikers can maintain our right to use these trails.

Oh and by the way I think it's more like 35 miles. The top of Lookout is very exposed and technical for about a mile - beginners take heed. Other than that it has to be one of the all-time Epic rides in Oregon. Enjoy and respect this area for what it is - special!

Thanks for enduring my rant.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Oh and by the way I think it's more like 35 miles. The top of Lookout is very exposed and technical for about a mile - beginners take heed. Other than that it has to be one of the all-time Epic rides in Oregon. Enjoy and respect this area for what it is - special!

Thanks for enduring my rant.
    Are you referring to the super rocky sections...talas fields, etc? Have any pictures of this area?

Also, their route as marked is 29 miles.

Formerly of Kent
    Helllllooooo UST tires...

Now I just need to find someone with UST wheels I can borrow.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Are you referring to the super rocky sections...talas fields, etc? Have any pictures of this area?
    Just this one taken eight (ten?) years ago on the first switchback off the summit of Lookout Mt: Still about like you see it, not much trail...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Helllllooooo UST tires...

Now I just need to find someone with UST wheels I can borrow.

Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That was epic...and brutal. Props to Kevin for proving that true grassroots epic XC race can be put on without a small army of volunteers. Handing out awards and raffle prizes as we crossed the line was a nice touch.
    Not a soul on the cat 1/pro course. I talked to people racing the cat2 course and they didn't see anyone either. Not that sharing trails would be anything new for xc racing. There were equestrians on the course at the Jedi this year, and usually there are motorcycles at bear springs.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by strader
    That was epic...and brutal. Props to Kevin for proving that true grassroots epic XC race can be put on without a small army of volunteers. Handing out awards and raffle prizes as we crossed the line was a nice touch.
    Not a soul on the cat 1/pro course. I talked to people racing the cat2 course and they didn't see anyone either. Not that sharing trails would be anything new for xc racing. There were equestrians on the course at the Jedi this year, and usually there are motorcycles at bear springs.
    Agreed. There were some sections I think would have been pretty tough even on a DH bike. That's the only race I've done where I've had to sit down at the top of a climb to collect myself before attempting the descent. Living at ~400ft and racing at 4,000 to 7,000ft didn't help my cause there.

After I dropped my chain, and subsequently losing contact with you guys, I saw people at 1) the aid/water station 2) some random photo dude right before the fire road and 3) several people from the Cat2/3 races. Other than that, not a soul.

While I like doing races like that from time to time, I definitely like doing short course, multiple lap format races more. "World Cup" style races.

Still, an awesome event.