Insanity later

Crescent Mountain/3 Pyramids Trail

Hey all, I'm curious if anyone has ridden this trail lately.
    Crescent Mountain. This is only part of it.

It's off highway 20, pretty close to the top of MRT.

I rode it a couple of times several years back. All I remember is that it was a huge loop (circa 50 miles) pretty much all single track, except one section where you skip onto the road for a few miles to avoid Wilderness, and that it was an awesome and bloody long day.

I think we climbed up to Crescent mountain, descended down to a horse camp, climbed up to 3 pyramids, then made our way back home.

I feel like I've ridden everything with a few hours of Portland this year already, so am getting desperate. Anyone know more about it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity Now View Post
    Hey all, I'm curious if anyone has ridden this trail lately.
    Crescent Mountain. This is only part of it.

It's off highway 20, pretty close to the top of MRT.

I rode it a couple of times several years back. All I remember is that it was a huge loop (circa 50 miles) pretty much all single track, except one section where you skip onto the road for a few miles to avoid Wilderness, and that it was an awesome and bloody long day.

I think we climbed up to Crescent mountain, descended down to a horse camp, climbed up to 3 pyramids, then made our way back home.

I feel like I've ridden everything with a few hours of Portland this year already, so am getting desperate. Anyone know more about it?
    I don't have a clue. I have wanted to ride this in the past ( BW recomended it highly ), but I have not made it happen. Take me if you go! Have you ridden Crane Creek (not Crane Prairie) Boulder Lake and trails #472-#473 and then back to Gunsight - Gumjuwac? If not and you want something good, it is perfect right now.

Cheers!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Insanity later
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I don't have a clue. I have wanted to ride this in the past ( BW recomended it highly ), but I have not made it happen. Take me if you go! Have you ridden Crane Creek (not Crane Prairie) Boulder Lake and trails #472-#473 and then back to Gunsight - Gumjuwac? If not and you want something good, it is perfect right now.

Cheers!
    Yep it was BW and Hernandez that I rode it with. I was so impressed I went back the next week with a couple of buddies and rode it again. May not sound like much except we rode hard all day without many breaks and it still took around 9 hours to complete. Left Eugene at 6:00AM in order to finish before nightfall.

Thanks for the tip. I rode Gumjuwac about a month ago from Bottle Prairie and there were several trees down. Obviously they're cleared now. Where do you typically start that ride? Starting at BP sucks as you have that gravel road connecter to deal with both ways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I start at Pocket Creek and head up that xc ski road to the overlook that connects to Gunsight. What makes this ride worth it is adding Crane Creek/ Boulder Lake / and 472-473 loop that is right out of Bonney Meadows CG. Great ST, cool technical sections and nobody out there. Look for Pocket Creek on the Mt. Hood map, or send me a note. I would guide anytime. Those two said that Crescent was a monster. I am down for that exploration too! If you are interested I can send you two maps of the area when I get home today. I am usually out and home by 4:00.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Singletrack Addict
    I want some.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I didn't know you could ride those trails. I've hiked 3 Pyramids before. Beautiful area.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)