Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Cream Puff this year

I am considering the Cream Puff this year; however, last year most of the guys my age did not finish. I have done the High Cascade 100 twice among other long races.
    I know it is hard but when most of the guys don't finish it worries me a bit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

mtbr member
    Wasn't last years course a little tougher than previous years? Seems like a read there was something like 20,000' of climbing and more singletrack and less road miles. It was also later in the year, heat could have played a roll.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ccp 100

The "new" course is definitely tough. In my opinion, much tougher than the 3 lap classic route and at least a bit tougher than the Winberry route. Hot or cold, the route will hand out a butt kicking. There is a 50 mile option now that is a single lap.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Wasn't last years course a little tougher than previous years? Seems like a read there was something like 20,000' of climbing and more singletrack and less road miles. It was also later in the year, heat could have played a roll.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    The 50 mile version looks interesting. Plus 50 is a nice distance where fun hasn't completely turned the corner to suffering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you are considering it, you should sign up and do it, the Cream Puff is a great race. I did it last year and it was my first and so far only 100. I am doing the HC100 this year and would like to do the Cream Puff again, but don't know if I can make it down to Oregon for two 100 milers this year.

I didn't think it was any harder or easier than I expected. It was a long day on the bike and a hot day, but I just made sure to eat and drink plenty and didn't stop for too long. I wasn't trying to race and just wanted to finish, but I did pick up the pace at mile 70 or so and pushed for the last 30 miles when I realized I was actually doing pretty well.

If you have done other 100's and train adequately I would think you would do just fine. I did a lot of road riding and especially a lot of hills, but also had a few weeks in May and June when I was busy with work and traveling and didn't ride at all. A lot of people didn't finish the 100 last year, but the two guys out front killed it, so I don't think the course was that slow. Almost all the climbing is on logging roads that are consistent, but not too steep, so it makes for much easier climbing than single track.