Expert Pushing SSer

New question here. Crazy Idea Dept. - Salem to Sisters

OK, this is for musing purposes only, doubt I will do it but.....

Well, yeah, I've had some wine and it is winter, but I thought (and actually have thought about in the past) about riding from Salem to Sisters camping along the way. Some criteria; use mostly back roads (mixed asphalt/dirt/forest service gravel/etc.), take a 2 to 3 to ? days, and maybe get a ride back in a car to cut the time down. Obviously self supported with a small group to Sisters. I suppose this would fall under bikepacking and what not.

Anyone done such an absurd thing? Trails/routes? Barlow over to Warm Springs, then south? I have a buddy that lives in Mollala and says there is an old Native American trail from Mollala to Sisters. I can get to Molalla (mostly asphalt). Will I ever do this? Has anyone out in mtbr land done any such thing? Bike maps produced by ODOT show a bike route down the Willamette Valley and using OR126 from Eugene to Sisters. Hwy. 126 would suck. I just assume drive but that defeats the purpose.

Meat
    Tuff Schist

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I've gone up the Old Santiam Wagon Road to the west from Fish lake, and I know a guy who has gone up the same road from Sisters to Big Lake. He posted something about getting menaced by coyotes along the way and having to beat them away using his fly rod case. I don't know what happens to the route on the other side of the pass though.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5324557.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think the Santiam Wagon Road is the best bet. An awful lot of Wilderness areas (Jefferson in particular) to work your way around if you go on a northerly route. I think most of the forest roads were built with the idea of getting timber down out of the mountains, so probably easier to find a way across the cascades east-west rather than trying to cover a long distance north-south.

Realistically, you'll be doing a fair bit of pavement between Salem and Cascadia to get to the Santiam Wagon road. But, as far as road riding goes, those are some of the nicest roads in the valley to ride.

I've hiked through from Sisters all the way over to Big Lake on parts of the Old Santiam Wagon Road and other national forest service roads. Lot's of options for dirt/gravel roads between Sisters and Big Lake. Haven't been on the Santiam wagon road between Big Lake and Fish Lake, other than where it crosses the MRT, but it looks like a pretty easy segment to piece together at least from what I can see on google earth.

The trail segments for the Santiam Wagon road (Trail 3413) extend from Fish Lake down almost to Cascadia on the west side of Tombstone pass. According to another recent thread on here on rides near Sweet there are some sections of singletrack between in there. To my knowledge, everything east of Fish Lake will be dirt/gravel roads.

More info on these trails on the FS website here:

Willamette National Forest - South Santiam Travel Corridor

You can figure most of it out using Google earth. Willamette National forest has PDF maps available free online of roads/trails that are legal for off-highway vehicles. You can use those to compare with what you see on Google earth, then talk with the appropriate ranger districts to get the best maps and info on the route you want to take.

The OHV maps can be found here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...l Forest- Maps

Overall, Sounds like a pretty fun route.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Thanks for all of the info, this helps a lot. I know some ATV snowmobiler folks here I can talk to as well. Also talk to the ranger stations in advance. A lot of planning will need to happen.

Coyotes are so cute.
    Tuff Schist

Obviously Single

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I've gone up the Old Santiam Wagon Road to the west from Fish lake, and I know a guy who has gone up the same road from Sisters to Big Lake. He posted something about getting menaced by coyotes along the way and having to beat them away using his fly rod case....
    Yikes. Sounds like a sound reason to bring a gun: http://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/wp...2/bike_gun.jpg
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Crazy Idea Dept. - Salem to Sisters

You could make it Eugene to sisters and take the Mckenzie upriver, which puts you right at the wagon road IIRC.

If from Salem, logging roads from Lyons could keep you off pavement to at least where straight creek rd hits 22. I think parish lake road can then connect over to near fish lake. Lots of climbing and a maze of roads to navigate though.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Thank you all. I have been studying maps and in 2D I get 130 miles of travel Salem to Jefferson to Lebanon to Sweet Home (mostly off state routes). From there, I am on the road following the Old Wagon road. At about 85 miles into the journey, I would (assuming I made it that far, a looooong day with a load) land at Trout Creek Lake approx. elevation 1234.2 ft. Then it is a haul up over the pass topping out at about 4,200 ft, and down to an area near Black Butte Ranch that provides rustic BLM camping. Not sure, but seems possible. Does two days seem doable?

@ACree - I will look at maps. Thanks!
    Tuff Schist

meatier showers
    Hey Meat Foot!
    Here's one that may qualify as semi-crazy. It ain't Salem to Sisters but it does cross the Cascades -- Bend to Oakridge. Our group took two days to do it but Paul LaCava (Giant Bicycles) did it in a day.
    Here are links to my GPS tracks which include mileage & gain:
    Day 1: Bend to Waldo Lake
    Day 2: Waldo Lake to Oakridge
    Next time I'll take 3 days. Have fun!
    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas