mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Crater Lake wilderness proposal feedback

Trans-Cascadia is looking for feedback via a survey on a proposed new wilderness area for Crater Lake that will affect a broad swath of the Cascades, including many trails that are ridden and maintained by mountain bikers. I urge you to get informed and take action. More information in the linked article from the Dirt Magnet.

https://dirtmagnet.wordpress.com/201...t-may-concern/

Afric Pepperbird
    I'm always for more wilderness!

And, as is mentioned here, Oregon Wild has been working with IMBA to "minimize impacts on mountain bike access."

mtbr member
    Yes, it looks to me like Oregon Wild is mainly concerned about helicopters and logging&mining.

With that in mind, I view this as an opportunity to let them know what the potential impacts are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

And, as is mentioned here, Oregon Wild has been working with IMBA to "minimize impacts on mountain bike access."
    Do not for a moment believe anything that Oregon Wild says in respect to Mountain Bikers. Their past actions have spoken louder than any wording in the proposal.

Talk with some of the old timers in COTA about the Mt Hood Wilderness where we were promised the moon and then ended up losing 120 miles or so of trails. And Cota was working with IMBA as well as other entities in oregon.

Maybe Woody Starr, Tberg or Mark can chime in as it's way before my time. But as I heard last night from Tberg, it was a 5 year process in which we walked away with nothing.

mtbr member
    233 miles of Trails effected on this map which is posted also in the link above

https://caltopo.com/m/2NUH

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    233 miles of Trails effected on this map which is posted also in the link above

https://caltopo.com/m/2NUH
    That's crazy!
    IMO this would put a real damper on economic revival to some of the old logging towns including Oakridge.

Can you guys more involved in these matters be more specific in what we can do to stop this...links, suggestions, etc.

Long term we need to get mountain biking legal in wilderness. That would be the ultimate solution and would get more people involveded in a common goal...saving OUR land from exploitation.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I want to know what affect this would have on the Mt. Bailey backcountry cat ski operation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Can you guys more involved in these matters be more specific in what we can do to stop this...links, suggestions, etc.
    Some ideas:
    1) Join the Sustainable Trails Coalition, which is working to remove the broad restriction on mountain biking in all wilderness areas. You can also buy one of their shirts.

2) Talk to your state/federal representatives, senators. Let them know that you are a mountain biker, that you support the STC (above) and the Human Powered Travel in Wilderness Act. Also let them know that you oppose the expansion of wilderness onto these trails, many of which are kept open and maintained by volunteer mountain bikers, and that there are other designations for land use that provide the protection that Oregon Wild says it wants without restricting mountain biking.

3) Fill out the survey. It took me about 60 seconds.

4) Get the word out to your friends, riding partners, local bike shops. Get them to advocate for (1) and (2) above and get them to spread the word about the survey (3).

5) Find or form a group of local volunteers who are concerned about all this, and figure out what to do next. Maybe contact your local IMBA chapter and volunteer to be a point of contact with Trans-Cascadia, who is spearheading the survey.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 03-02-2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added shirt link

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Some ideas:
    1) Join the Sustainable Trails Coalition, which is working to remove the broad restriction on mountain biking in all wilderness areas. You can also buy one of their shirts.

2) Talk to your state/federal representatives, senators. Let them know that you are a mountain biker, that you support the STC (above) and the Human Powered Travel in Wilderness Act. Also let them know that you oppose the expansion of wilderness onto these trails, many of which are kept open and maintained by volunteer mountain bikers, and that there are other designations for land use that provide the protection that Oregon Wild says it wants without restricting mountain biking.

3) Fill out the survey. It took me about 60 seconds.

4) Get the word out to your friends, riding partners, local bike shops. Get them to advocate for (1) and (2) above and get them to spread the word about the survey (3).

5) Find or form a group of local volunteers who are concerned about all this, and figure out what to do next. Maybe contact your local IMBA chapter and volunteer to be a point of contact with Trans-Cascadia, who is spearheading the survey.
    Thanks maddux, I appreciate it. I will for sure be involving everybody I know, and others clubs/user groups in this matter.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the link! I filled out the survey. Indigo Lake, Timponagas, Upper Middle Fork...I will drag the head of Oregon Wild behind my bike before I stop riding there. Oregon Wild is an enemy to anyone who rides under the big trees. IMBA is not going to clear up the Wilderness problem either.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is interesting. Based on the map it would eliminate almost the entire upper half of the North Umpqua Trail for mountain biking. If they are really working with IMBA that should be easy to remedy.

On the list of trail effected there are a few that already go into wilderness areas and not open to mountain biking, then there is the Diamond Lake Loop a paved bike path that there is no way that should be included in a wilderness. Then there is the Upper Rogue River Trail that is already closed to mountain biking for no good reason.

mtbr member
    IMBA also has a page on this here: https://www.imba.com/pli/crater-lake

I already filled out the petition linked above and the one at the IMBA link.

The maps are of limited use on their own without really digging in, since the Oregon Wild Map doesn't show trails and the caltopo map linked doesn't show the proposed wilderness boundaries.

But, for me here is the bottom line. If you carefully compare the two maps, the Dread and Terror, Hot Spring, Deer Leap, Jessie wright, Marsters, and Calf segments of the North Umpqua Trail is within Oregon Wild's proposed wilderness boundary. That is pretty much the entire upper half of the trail (39.5 miles worth) with the exception of the Lemolo segment which is now open to MTB but few people ride.

The N.U.T., and Dread and Terror segment specifically is my absolute favorite trail in Oregon, if not anywhere. I absolutely will not support any proposal that threatens those trails.

The proposed wilderness boundaries in these areas around the N.U.T. are a patchwork of small parcels surrounded by forest service roads, highways and all sorts of hydroelectric infrastructure between Lemolo Lake and Toketee Lake. These aren't pristine untouched locations.

I know I am not alone in the love of those trails. I also love the fact that we have protected wilderness, but, I draw the line when these proposals infringe upon some of the best mountain bike trails in the country.

Oregon wild tells their supporters to contact Ron Wyden in support of this proposal. We need to do the same to voice our concerns. Contact Info: Ron Wyden - 503 326-7525
    Or email form here: https://www.wyden.senate.gov/contact/

Oregon Wild also wants you to know about each and every business that supports their proposal: Crater Lake Wilderness Business Supporters | Oregon Wild

You can peruse that list also and let those businesses know of your concerns too (Keen, Yakima etc..).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Did my part

Survey filled out and sent communication to Wyden
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

I contacted Oregon Wild and expressed my concerns. I got back one email with very vague statements about how they have had "over 30" contacts with mtbers and mtbing groups. I wrote back and asked for details, I have yet to hear anything more from them.