mtbr member
    May 2009

Crater Lake to Roseburg via the Umpqua

Hey guys,

Coming up from San Francisco bay area in mid August. Hitting up Crater Lake for a couple of days and then have three days to make it to Roseburg before jetting home down Hiway 5.

Looking for campground and trail recommendations - I hope to ride and fly fish (debating bringing a kayak (but just for the tamest of waters)). Driving a VW vanagon so don't need too many campground amenities - though do appreciate potable water and flush toilets.

Crater Lake to Roseburg via the Umpqua-20141025_103806.jpg

Is it better to stay in one campground and day trip from there up and down the river? Should I work a river section then move camp further down? Any specific campgrounds you might recommend?

From a trail riding perspective I'm fairly competent having been riding the bay area, Mendocino, Tahoe trails for more than a decade. Currently riding a Santa Cruz 5010.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Tokatee Lake Campground, Boulder Flat Campground, Eagle Rock campground all great and put you at the best sections of the North Umpqua Trail. Out-and-backs are great -- and challenging in both directions. I'm going there this weekend, camping at Eagle Rock CG, and shuttling to the top (of the legal section, Kelsey Valley) on day one, then getting cars shuttled to Swiftwater Park and the end of the trail on day two (which puts you in the direction of I-5). Roughly two 30-mile days in the saddle. Many break it up into three days, which would give you extra time for fishin'. (That part I have no idea about...)

mtbr member
    May 2009

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albee View Post
    Tokatee Lake Campground, Boulder Flat Campground, Eagle Rock campground all great and put you at the best sections of the North Umpqua Trail. Out-and-backs are great -- and challenging in both directions. I'm going there this weekend, camping at Eagle Rock CG, and shuttling to the top (of the legal section, Kelsey Valley) on day one, then getting cars shuttled to Swiftwater Park and the end of the trail on day two (which puts you in the direction of I-5). Roughly two 30-mile days in the saddle. Many break it up into three days, which would give you extra time for fishin'. (That part I have no idea about...)
    OK - thanks Albee

from what I can see in the brochure it looks like the river is in a canyon - is it accessible from those campgrounds?

Again, Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Al, you aren't riding your singlespeed are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainHead View Post
    Al, you aren't riding your singlespeed are you?
    Well...only one gear at a time....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tunajuice View Post
    OK - thanks Albee

from what I can see in the brochure it looks like the river is in a canyon - is it accessible from those campgrounds?
    Tokatee Lake CG -- literally just a few pedalstrokes to the trail; Eagle Rock Campground -- about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, no biggie; Boulder Flat is the furthest of the three from trail access.

Edit: Oops, re-reading the post, I see you are asking about the river, not the trail. Boat ramps to the river at Eagle Rock and Boulder Flat, and to Tokatee Lake at that CG.

mtbr member
    May 2009

many Thanks

OK - so Toketee it is - Thanks! and if mid-August you spot a brown vanagon in the campground stop by for a beer.

Much appreciated

mtbr member
    Happened upon this thread a few weeks ago while doing some research for an Oregon trip. Wound up staying in Tokatee Lake campground this weekend. Eagle Rock and Boulder Flat were both full. They don't have many spots. Tokatee filled up too shortly after I got there about 5PM, and more people were driving in for hours after that (mostly in the dark) looking for spots. The campgrounds get bigger as you head east on 138 and supposedly the one at Diamond Lake is huge.

So, my two bits of advice are reserve spots if you can, and bring mosquito repellant. The ones on the section of trail by Toketee were vicious -- the kind that bite you through your clothing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey guys,

Made it back from my bUmqua trip. Was there last week and as you probably know the highway (138), the trail and even the river were closed on account of fires. Only got to ride and explore the trails around and east of Lemolo Lake.

I'll be back though to try again another year. The fishing was great and it is a beautiful area - dang fires.

Thanks for the advice and counsel.