mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Crater Lake Riding?

Hey all-
    Planning a trip to Bend mid June to do some riding. I was wondering if there is any riding around Crater Lake? Will most trails be rideable in mid June? Some tend to say the higher trails will be snowed in...others think mid-June is a good time to ride. Also plan on riding MRT while we are over there. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Crater Lake is a National Park so riding is limited to roads only.

meatier showers

Crater Lake Riding?

Quote Originally Posted by nicksstorm View Post
    Hey all-
    Planning a trip to Bend mid June to do some riding. I was wondering if there is any riding around Crater Lake? Will most trails be rideable in mid June? Some tend to say the higher trails will be snowed in...others think mid-June is a good time to ride. Also plan on riding MRT while we are over there. Thoughts?
    The caldera rim of Crater Lake ranges in elevation from 7,000 to 8,000 feet. I expect June will be too early due to lingering snow.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I wonder if the park would allow a fat bike on the snow covered road?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    you can ride around east and paulina lake. Not as picturesque as Crater lake, but a decent ride. Not an epic ride in my opinion, but as similar as you can get. All volcanic lakes.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    you can ride around east and paulina lake. Not as picturesque as Crater lake, but a decent ride. Not an epic ride in my opinion, but as similar as you can get. All volcanic lakes.
    This would be pretty iffy in June, as well.

mtbr member
    good point!

mtbr member
    Wonder how Waldo lake looks in June. It's fairly close to crater lake as well. I rode there late last fall. Very pretty. One of the clearest, most pristine lakes in the world. If you are on the water you can see hundreds of feet into the lake. It's surreal.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Wonder how Waldo lake looks in June. It's fairly close to crater lake as well. I rode there late last fall. Very pretty. One of the clearest, most pristine lakes in the world. If you are on the water you can see hundreds of feet into the lake. It's surreal.
    Mid-June would be pushing it a bit. It is usually rideable by mid-July - going earlier has the potential for snow and downed trees. Some will mention the mosquitos earlier in the year, but if you are not stopping for downed trees they are not really an issue. Just keep riding.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    ... mosquitos earlier in the year, but if you are not stopping for downed trees they are not really an issue. Just keep riding.
    Mosquito severity varies by year. I've been there when the sky darkened as I stepped out of my vehicle. I believe if I hadn't gotten back into my car within a few seconds, my blood would have been depleted to the point of losing consciousness within a short time.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate the feedback. Instead of riding Crater lake after a few days in Bend, where should we go? Oakridge? MRT?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    MRT!!! there's a few fun and easy CX trails in Sisters/Black Butte area as well.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksstorm View Post
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate the feedback. Instead of riding Crater lake after a few days in Bend, where should we go? Oakridge? MRT?
    Another option that is pretty close by if you are heading to Crater Lake is the North Umpqua. I like it better than the MRT and at about 70 miles you can pick some different sections depending on what type of riding you want.