Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

COTA board, secret meetings, one way trails. No member input allowed

Hi everyone,
    it is a sad day when you find out that the board of your favorite trail advocacy club is becoming insular and myopic. The Central Oregon Trail Alliance Board believes that they can make major changes to the flow of the trail network via "One Way Trails" without a vote by members.

One way trails might be understandable if there had already been a long education process, signage at the trailheads, or uphill climbing routes installed. But none of this has happened. Instead they have held meetings with USFS to plan a demonstration project of two to three trails that will become one way.

Bens Trail would become uphill only.
    Phil's Trail and Canyon would be downhill only.
    Kent's Trail would become either uphill or downhill only.

There is a reason this has been kept on the down low. Nobody is going to like it.

This decision is in direct violation of the COTA mission statement of "no net loss of trails". For every trail you make one way you lose that same distance the other way.

Don't get me wrong I love COTA! I think many great things have been done to grow our trail network and for that I am forever grateful.

However, the board needs to take a good long look at the backlash that will come from making trails one way in the Phil's Trial area. Consider your options gentlemen you really don't want this much bad press.
    Last edited by Respectthetrails; 03-16-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Woa. Bad idea. Really bad idea.

mtbr member
    Perhaps [us locals & trail advocates] need to start a petition against the implementation of [one-way] trails within Phil's Complex? I'd sign it in a heart beat....JeffSP said it all.....REALLY BAD IDEA!!
    jjMarS

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Respectthetrails View Post
    Hi everyone,
    it is a sad day when you find out that the board of your favorite trail advocacy club is becoming insular and myopic. The Central Oregon Trail Alliance Board believes that they can make major changes to the flow of the trail network via "One Way Trails" without a vote by members.

One way trails might be understandable if there had already been a long education process, signage at the trailheads, or uphill climbing routes installed. But none of this has happened. Instead they have held meetings with USFS to plan a demonstration project of two to three trails that will become one way.

Bens Trail would become uphill only.
    Phil's Trail and Canyon would be downhill only.
    Kent's Trail would become either uphill or downhill only.

There is a reason this has been kept on the down low. Nobody is going to like it.

This decision is in direct violation of the COTA mission statement of "no net loss of trails". For every trail you make one way you lose that same distance the other way.

Don't get me wrong I love COTA! I think many great things have been done to grow our trail network and for that I am forever grateful.

However, the board needs to take a good long look at the backlash that will come from making trails one way in the Phil's Trial area. Consider your options gentlemen you really don't want this much bad press.
    Not just Gentlemen...ladies too. I am proudly part of this committee. The vast majority of people will "love it", once they try it. First, another premier MTB destination, Fruita, Colorado just went to directional trails, second Whoops is already one-way, third, we have designated climbing routes in Wanoga, & fourth, we would rather take this approach than having the Forest Service take the option out of our hands due to a serious accident.

No doubt there will be vigorous debate here and in other forums. So far, the feedback I have personally received has been super positive. You may recall a "Right of Way Rant" thread on this forum last year. That thread provided tons of feedback and information for us.

For the rest, I will let a COTA board member address your other points.

Cheers!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    Perhaps [us locals & trail advocates] need to start a petition against the implementation of [one-way] trails within Phil's Complex? I'd sign it in a heart beat....JeffSP said it all.....REALLY BAD IDEA!!
    Why? Provide more detail to your argument.

mtbr member
    I understand the need for some trails to flow one-way due to high-speed DH (e.g. ODP, South Fork, etc) and perhaps the idea to foster trail integrity by uphill only (e.g. North Fork), but why take away our agency/freedom within Phil's complex. MTB is an inherently dangerous sport, and I support safe riding, but there's nothing remotely dangerous w/i Phil's complex that should require DH ~or~ UH travel only; IMO. With that being said, I could see the Canyon as DH only...and I'd support that....but Ben's and Kent's.....come on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Why? Provide more detail to your argument.
    jjMarS

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by jjMarS View Post
    I understand the need for some trails to flow one-way due to high-speed DH (e.g. ODP, South Fork, etc) and perhaps the idea to foster trail integrity by uphill only (e.g. North Fork), but why take away our agency/freedom within Phil's complex. MTB is an inherently dangerous sport, and I support safe riding, but there's nothing remotely dangerous w/i Phil's complex that should require DH ~or~ UH travel only; IMO. With that being said, I could see the Canyon as DH only...and I'd support that....but Ben's and Kent's.....come on!!
    Kent's will be two way. If you view Ben's as downhill, we need to discuss.... Ben's will be the climbing route. The plan is to have Phil's downhill from the Kent's intersection. That is the Canyon btw. All clearly signed. Can you imagine the pure joy of bombing down Phil's Canyon... Works for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Uphill or downhill only for Kents. Ridiculous IMHO.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Uphill or downhill only for Kents. Ridiculous IMHO.
    Kent's will be as it is today. Uphill & Downhill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Kent's will be as it is today. Uphill & Downhill.
    Great! Rest makes sense to me.

Keep Singletrack Single

Quote Originally Posted by SpryIP View Post
    Great! Rest makes sense to me.
    Cool. More announcements on this coming soon. This will include a launch day at the trails. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thanks for clarifying, willem3. I've been for the Canyon as DH Only for a long time and have often discussed this topic with many local fiends. In relation to Ben's as the climbing route, I will admit that I less than frequently use Ben's as my descending route, but it's still very fun to ride downhill and I can't understand why it needs to be uphill traffic only....help me to understand? Although I can see the overall vision, I can't think if a single section where visibility ~or~ UH/DH conflict is an issue. I've lived in Bend for 10 yrs and have NEVER came up on uphill traffic while descending Ben's (i.e. in an intrusive manner to either recreationalist); like we've ALL done on the canyon. I wouldn't say that I'm TOTALLY opposed to Ben's as UH only....but I do like the idea of 'line freedom" should I choose to DH that section of the complex. I'd welcome more of your thoughts....
    Kent's will be two way. If you view Ben's as downhill, we need to discuss.... Ben's will be the climbing route. The plan is to have Phil's downhill from the Kent's intersection. That is the Canyon btw. All clearly signed. Can you imagine the pure joy of bombing down Phil's Canyon... Works for me.
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not just Gentlemen...ladies too. I am proudly part of this committee. The vast majority of people will "love it", once they try it. First, another premier MTB destination, Fruita, Colorado just went to directional trails, second Whoops is already one-way, third, we have designated climbing routes in Wanoga, & fourth, we would rather take this approach than having the Forest Service take the option out of our hands due to a serious accident.

No doubt there will be vigorous debate here and in other forums. So far, the feedback I have personally received has been super positive. You may recall a "Right of Way Rant" thread on this forum last year. That thread provided tons of feedback and information for us.

For the rest, I will let a COTA board member address your other points.

Cheers!!
    Comparing Bend to Fruita is laughable to say the least. You could ride most of the trails in the Phil's complex on a roadbike!

mtbr member
    Just got back from riding Sandy Ridge this Saturday. Besides the phenomenal riding, I was amazed at how many cars were in the parking lot (and overflow parking lot) but how few people I met while riding trails--I didn't have to pull over for anyone (and I do follow trail etiquette). The Sandy Ridge system is a ONE WAY system.
    Living in New Zealand for 2 years, I found the same phenomena in New Zealand in Rotorua. A majority of the trails there are ONE WAY. On a busy weekend with hundreds of cars in the parking lots, one would see few people while riding on trails. It was a superior riding experience in this respect.
    When I returned from New Zealand to Bend, I found that the number of people riding on the trails had dramatically increased. On a Sunday, in November, I was able to take my first ride Down Phil's in a couple of years. I was forced to pull over at least 10 times for over 18 uphill riders in two or so miles.
    People, upon first hearing about the ONE WAY trail system, may initially take the view that something has been taken away from them. However, with the increase in trail users in the "Golden Triangle", the freedom to actually ride, has already been taken.
    I view the change to the ONE WAY system as a proactive solution to a problem of increased trail use. What we lose, we have already lost, and what we stand to gain is the freedom to ride with miminal interuption to the experience we all seek.

mtbr member
    One-way trails in the Phil’s Complex have been discussed for years, both in the community and within COTA. COTA has developed a pro-active, user-based initiative to preserve and enhance the user experience in the ever more popular Phil’s Trail Complex.

This year, the COTA Board organized a diverse sub-committee to look into the feasibility of directional trails for the Phil’s and Wanoga networks. I headed up the sub-committee with a mix of 4 current COTA Board members, and 7 members from the community including bike shop employees, trail adopters, and your fellow riders.

The committee reviewed the current status of the trails and the trend in usage of the trails. Add in the reality that the USFS will be “improving” the Phil’s Trailhead parking area in the 2015 season and adding a Welcome Center, which will include approximately and additional 30 space parking lot on the south side of the Phil’s Trail Complex. Little Bend, Oregon and the quaint user-built trails of town are now a worldwide destination trail system. The reality is, our busy trails system is going to get busier.

The “Trail Love” etiquette campaign is a great start to addressing the increased usage, as was the addition of better signage for the Complex. The etiquette campaign and signage will continue.

The COTA Board has approved the Directional Trails plan. The plan was also presented to CORK, the runners club, as well as DogPAC and both groups are in support of the plan. The Deschutes National Forest is in support of this plan and COTA will be launching this with their full cooperation.

The benefits of directional trails include:
    • More riding. Less stopping. How many rides have you been on in the last year or two that were interrupted by more and more users going the opposite direction you were going?
    • Less conflict. Ride your own ride. Have you had a bad experience with some jerk running you off the trail? Have you schedule your life around ride times that may help you avoid the crowds?
    • Enjoy the forest. See fewer people. By riding with the flow of other users you’ll see fewer people.
    • Safety. In recent years COTA receives more and more first hand accounts of serious injuries caused by head-on collisions with other users.
    • Keep single track single. With fewer riders passing one another the trails will return to a more pure single track for more enjoyable riding. COTA will not be altering the character of these trails for their new designation.
    • Try it. You’ll like it. Trail networks around the country have adopted one-way systems with great success. Fruita is a great example of going on a ride from an overflowing parking lot only to find that you are by yourself and on your own ride the whole time.

Give it a try and you might like it.

The negative:
    #1 you can’t go the other way. That’s it there’s one negative.

Trails affected:
    Ben’s uphill
    Phil’s downhill from Jct 18 (aka Kent’s)

Tyler’s Traverse: majority will be downhill only with the exception of the relatively flat middle section in the vicinity of Larsen Trail for better navigation within the network.

Coming to two trails in the Phil’s Complex soon.

mtbr member
    Finally! This is a much needed improvement. I've been riding these trails for 17 years now and it has become a mess of people. I've ridden one way trails in other areas and loved it. I think over time, it will make the experience so much more enjoyable.

I also find it humorous that everyone supports one-way DH trails but no UH trails. Seriously? Go ride those shitty trails on Mt.B and stay off the cross country tread. Have fun.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'll not mind Phil's DH only and Ben's uphill only at all!

By the way, does anyone know about plans for building an uphill single-track parallel to Whoops? Riding up Rd. 310 gets kind of stale.

mtbr member
    deleted
    Last edited by sketchbook; 04-29-2014 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What is different between Bend, Fruita, Oakridge etc is that we have a flat trail network. We have a lot of riders at Phil's because it is so damn easy to ride.

I yield all the time for less experienced riders, or if I can allow a rider to keep their flow. That's trail love to me.

It has long been a motto in COTA to have no net loss of trail, period. If you try to take it away you have to give me something else that is just as good. So if you do decide to remove the Phil's Climb you should replace it with another trail that parallels it.

Here is an idea...

This needs to be a voted on topic by the members. Don't sit I your ivory towers and expect us to be happy when our dictator speaks. Give me a break.

Please consider building uphill routes for each downhill you remove and a downhill route for each uphill you remove.

As a COTA Board Member you serve me. So why not vote on it. The trail network was not built by CORK, or DOGPAC. So respect that fact.

mtbr member
    Thanks for placing a little more color into the landscape; the vision is becoming more clear as I see the flow of this initiative within my minds eye. However, if this project finds the efficacy it desires within this seemingly low-volume approach, it seems that this may echo into other areas of Bend's MTB trails...which may be warranted...but how do us common folk get a say in how things unfold?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash View Post
    One-way trails in the Phil’s Complex have been discussed for years, both in the community and within COTA. COTA has developed a pro-active, user-based initiative to preserve and enhance the user experience in the ever more popular Phil’s Trail Complex.

This year, the COTA Board organized a diverse sub-committee to look into the feasibility of directional trails for the Phil’s and Wanoga networks. I headed up the sub-committee with a mix of 4 current COTA Board members, and 7 members from the community including bike shop employees, trail adopters, and your fellow riders.

The committee reviewed the current status of the trails and the trend in usage of the trails. Add in the reality that the USFS will be “improving” the Phil’s Trailhead parking area in the 2015 season and adding a Welcome Center, which will include approximately and additional 30 space parking lot on the south side of the Phil’s Trail Complex. Little Bend, Oregon and the quaint user-built trails of town are now a worldwide destination trail system. The reality is, our busy trails system is going to get busier.

The “Trail Love” etiquette campaign is a great start to addressing the increased usage, as was the addition of better signage for the Complex. The etiquette campaign and signage will continue.

The COTA Board has approved the Directional Trails plan. The plan was also presented to CORK, the runners club, as well as DogPAC and both groups are in support of the plan. The Deschutes National Forest is in support of this plan and COTA will be launching this with their full cooperation.

The benefits of directional trails include:
    • More riding. Less stopping. How many rides have you been on in the last year or two that were interrupted by more and more users going the opposite direction you were going?
    • Less conflict. Ride your own ride. Have you had a bad experience with some jerk running you off the trail? Have you schedule your life around ride times that may help you avoid the crowds?
    • Enjoy the forest. See fewer people. By riding with the flow of other users you’ll see fewer people.
    • Safety. In recent years COTA receives more and more first hand accounts of serious injuries caused by head-on collisions with other users.
    • Keep single track single. With fewer riders passing one another the trails will return to a more pure single track for more enjoyable riding. COTA will not be altering the character of these trails for their new designation.
    • Try it. You’ll like it. Trail networks around the country have adopted one-way systems with great success. Fruita is a great example of going on a ride from an overflowing parking lot only to find that you are by yourself and on your own ride the whole time.

Give it a try and you might like it.

The negative:
    #1 you can’t go the other way. That’s it there’s one negative.

Trails affected:
    Ben’s uphill
    Phil’s downhill from Jct 18 (aka Kent’s)

Tyler’s Traverse: majority will be downhill only with the exception of the relatively flat middle section in the vicinity of Larsen Trail for better navigation within the network.

Coming to two trails in the Phil’s Complex soon.
    Last edited by jjMarS; 03-17-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    jjMarS

Keep Singletrack Single
    What is different between Bend, Fruita, Oakridge etc is that we have a flat trail network. We have a lot of riders at Phil's because it is so damn easy to ride.

We also have massive volume because the trails are close to town. Certainly not the case for me, but for many they are not flat.

I yield all the time for less experienced riders, or if I can allow a rider to keep their flow. That's trail love to me.

Fantastic. You are already doing your part.

It has long been a motto in COTA to have no net loss of trail, period. If you try to take it away you have to give me something else that is just as good. So if you do decide to remove the Phil's Climb you should replace it with another trail that parallels it.

There are already trails in the area that are under utilized. Grand Slam is a good example of this.

Here is an idea...

This needs to be a voted on topic by the members. Don't sit I your ivory towers and expect us to be happy when our dictator speaks. Give me a break.

Please consider building uphill routes for each downhill you remove and a downhill route for each uphill you remove.

As a COTA Board Member you serve me. So why not vote on it. The trail network was not built by CORK, or DOGPAC. So respect that fact.
    The best way for you to address these issues is to not be anonymous, get involved, join our monthly meetings, and help with trail work. Funny how you just signed up for MTBR to rant about this. Or do you have another ID on here? Post #2 for you?

Keep Singletrack Single

Here is an idea...

One additional point... In the beginning of your post, you mention that the trail network is "flat". Yet in your continued post you mention Phil's as "climb" and "uphill".

Which is it? Can't have it both ways...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    There is a parallel singletrack heading up to whoops. Just go south on road 300 a couple hundred feet.

It's not used very heavily, but it's there.
    Is this an official trail? Just to confirm, there is a trail between Phils and Whoops?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a question on this. I have introduced my oldest kid to Mt. biking on Ben's. I think it is by far the best trail to for a beginner in this regard. We have gone up there, rode up as long as my kids wanted to, then turned around before he got exhausted, and rode back down. I have been planning to do this with my daughter this year. Am I going to get "in trouble"? Will people be glaring at me as some evil prick? I'm not saying it is entirely a bad idea, but it does put pressure on folks to ride more than they may want to, or be restricted from riding the trail because they may not be able to make the connectors. Not thrilled with Kents being left as the only alternative.

Just something to think about.

Keep Singletrack Single

Quote Originally Posted by GauchoGreg View Post
    I have a question on this. I have introduced my oldest kid to Mt. biking on Ben's. I think it is by far the best trail to for a beginner in this regard. We have gone up there, rode up as long as my kids wanted to, then turned around before he got exhausted, and rode back down. I have been planning to do this with my daughter this year. Am I going to get "in trouble"? Will people be glaring at me as some evil prick? I'm not saying it is entirely a bad idea, but it does put pressure on folks to ride more than they may want to, or be restricted from riding the trail because they may not be able to make the connectors. Not thrilled with Kents being left as the only alternative.

Just something to think about.
    Good question. The great thing about Ben's trail is that it has multiple options to cross over to Kent's & Phil's. These include MTB Trail at about 1.5 miles in, KGB, & Voodoo. Therefore, it will be easy to create a loop.

You also have Marvin's as a superb alternative. Additionally, COTA will be building additional family friendly trails by the new visitor center at Century & Conklin.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast