Thread: Cota?

mtbr member

Cota?

So, whatever happened to the COTA web site? Does COTA still exist? How are the trail conditions in Central Oregon?
    New Obama Creed: Change you can believe in TO Change what you believe in

mtbr member
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Toby Wong?
    there is no riding in Bend proper right now. Horse Ridge, Smith Rocks, or the Maston are probably good but that's it.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by radbkr
    So, whatever happened to the COTA web site? Does COTA still exist? How are the trail conditions in Central Oregon?
    It's still winter here. I heard from a trail runner that he has been able to use the Deschutes River Trail a little bit with some wet areas, but I certainly wouldn't make a trip here intending to ride.

Toby Wong?
    COTA is still running strong. They had to change their web address and start over.

Long story short. COTA is a volunteer organization. The guy who was in charge of the website had purchased the URL himself wayyy back in the day and and, regardless of what he said to the contrary, was very defensive about anyone else getting involved in maintaining and updating the website. He was difficult to deal with and more than a few people were tired of his defensive, argumentative schtick when it came to new ideas or getting new people involved.

COTA asked the guy to give ownership of the URL back to COTA so another volunteer could bring their enthusiasm and skills to the website, and he refused, citing how he was always there to do whatever people wanted and what great sacrifices he had made to make the site so great. Nobody ever questioned the hard work that he had put into the site....but with COTA being a volunteer organization, the premise was put forth that if a person wanted to get involved, they should be able to run for that position when the term was up. But the original webguy, because he had the website address owned in his personal name, was not interested in letting others take over the position. And when the conversation became difficult, the webguy decided to pull the site down and show everyone how powerful he was. So COTA had to start over.

You'll find them at www.cotamtb.com.
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member
    Yeah people, please spread the word about the new web ending - .com I talked to Kent, El Presidento last night and he mentioned that the site is up and running with the final changes to be taken care of shortly. Then he is going to start spreading the word about the new location, but since we are already talking about it, hell, let's start spreading the word now!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

mtbr member

Winter?

Good news is the riding season is starting up in earnest here in Central Oh. I've been riding out at the new Maston riding area near the town of Tumalo. Great early season desert riding. Check the info on the new COTA site to find where exactly.

http://cotamtb.com/trails/

I've heard reports that Horse Ridge is now getting some good riding. Also the Smith Rocks area is ridable from the state park side, but I haven't heard of anyone tempting the Grey Butte loop yet. No doubt the north side is real gumbo, but the rest of it??? Anyone?

Next week - one more hour of day light!!!!

Spring has sprung - which means more snow can't be far off.

Crash