Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010

Corvalis Riding next WE?

So with all the wet weather lately "Is there any decent riding in or near Corvalis?" I will be down there next weekend. I usually get some fire road riding in at MacDonald State Forrest, is there anything else worth checking out? I've been on the training bike the last several weeks (live in Seattle) because its been so wet. I'd love to ride some trail, but didn't know if anything is accessible?
    Jon

mtbr member
    I was out on Saturday. Still lots of trees down throughout the forest. Unofficial trails range from borderline to saturated and sloppy. Open official trails like Horse and Dan's have some standing water but the trail tread is fine.

mtbr member
    we ride in the dallas and lyons area year round, rode at lyons on saturday and the conditions were pretty good, more pine needles on my bike then mud. both trail systems you have to know where they are at, i'm always willing to show them to new people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Aim high. If you go above the well travered paths and get to some of the higher singletrack they tend to have rockier soil and have better drainage and then the lower trails in Mcdonald Forest. McColloch Peak for instance.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    So I rode the lower part, well at least as far as I know the trail, of McKenzie River Trail on Saturday. Beautiful ride, only encountered five bikes on the trail, most of them zoomed past me in the last mile or so before I got back to the trailhead. By that time both me and my four legged companion were pretty spent. I stopped this ride at the lower reservoir, can't remember the name. It was cold like 42 degrees in the am, but got up to around mid-60's by the afternoon. I think my total mileage was around 23mi. or so, good ride for me though. I loved riding up though - the trail is deceivingly awesome, it just begs you to continue, then Cocoa - said that it was time to head for home. She was glued to my rear wheel the whole time, except when those other riders rode up on us late in our ride. Not a lot of mud and lots of pine-needle forest, with awesome views of the river and side streams.