Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Riding in Oregon
    May 2013

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!

Hey all, I am new to the board, not the area. I was born in Gold Beach in 1980, grew up in Langlois. Enlisted in the Marines in 05' and have been in Coquille since August of last year. Glad to be back!

Where does everyone ride around here? I have checked out Euphoria Ridge (with minimal success) and Blue Ridge, haven't been to Winchester Trails just yet. Any other places worth mention?

I picked up a 13' Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29er from Karl at South Coast Bicycles in Bandon, so that's what I ride now!

The active logging is going to be good in the long run at Blue Ridge I think, but in the meantime I have done a little clearing on Hearts Content, Middle Tie and Steaming Donkey. Anything I can do without hand tools, I'll stop and do it. Would be cool to get together and clear some trails and then go ride.

Anyway, hope to hear back from some locals!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-jblount_julybr-2a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    check

I can show you around Euphoria Ridge or give directions at least. Also Call Moe's bike shop in north bend- there's a Tuesday night ride out of there.
    Hayduke holds his foaming can of beer in one hand, the other five cans-bound together by a plastic collar- in the other hand. What to do? In order to function he must put down the beer. But in order to function he has to drink the beer. A cruel bind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneJoe View Post
    Hey all, I am new to the board, not the area. I was born in Gold Beach in 1980, grew up in Langlois. Enlisted in the Marines in 05' and have been in Coquille since August of last year. Glad to be back!

Where does everyone ride around here? I have checked out Euphoria Ridge (with minimal success) and Blue Ridge, haven't been to Winchester Trails just yet. Any other places worth mention?

I picked up a 13' Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29er from Karl at South Coast Bicycles in Bandon, so that's what I ride now!

The active logging is going to be good in the long run at Blue Ridge I think, but in the meantime I have done a little clearing on Hearts Content, Middle Tie and Steaming Donkey. Anything I can do without hand tools, I'll stop and do it. Would be cool to get together and clear some trails and then go ride.

Anyway, hope to hear back from some locals!
    So you are clearing Blue Ridge? The trails are closed, but I called the land management folks, and they told me it would be ok to ride on, say, Sundays when the loggers aren't working. I'm not looking to get you in trouble or anything, I just want to figure out when you're going, so I have another place to ride. I did hit Blue Ridge once this summer, but the logging had made the sections I was on un-fun. I cleared what I could, but it looked like a lost cause due to the ongoing logging. This is year 2 of the logging project, and there's no word how much longer it will last. I'm also interested to hear why you think the logging will make Blue Ridge better in the long run. PM me if you don't want to post up on the boards.

I usually ride Winchester's because they are easy to get to, but this summer they have closed about 5 miles of trails which makes things a bit more difficult. I occasionally ride around eel lake out at Tugman State Park, but that's more of a scenery ride. Some of the riders from Moe's Bike Shop have been hitting a trail at the end of El Rod street in Coos Bay. That's about 10 miles out and back, but consider it straight XC without much twisty-turny stuff. Just straight up a hill, then straight back down.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan View Post
    check

I can show you around Euphoria Ridge or give directions at least. Also Call Moe's bike shop in north bend- there's a Tuesday night ride out of there.
    I saw the map you drew up of Euphoria, It's pretty awesome. When I went out there I got to the "old rocky road" and had to head down the mountain due to logging. It was pretty fun bombing down the hills anyway. I think it was about the end up April and it looked like no one had been up there in awhile at that time. Night ride at Euphoria on Tuesday? Sounds tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    So you are clearing Blue Ridge? The trails are closed, but I called the land management folks, and they told me it would be ok to ride on, say, Sundays when the loggers aren't working. I'm not looking to get you in trouble or anything, I just want to figure out when you're going, so I have another place to ride. I did hit Blue Ridge once this summer, but the logging had made the sections I was on un-fun. I cleared what I could, but it looked like a lost cause due to the ongoing logging. This is year 2 of the logging project, and there's no word how much longer it will last. I'm also interested to hear why you think the logging will make Blue Ridge better in the long run. PM me if you don't want to post up on the boards.

I usually ride Winchester's because they are easy to get to, but this summer they have closed about 5 miles of trails which makes things a bit more difficult. I occasionally ride around eel lake out at Tugman State Park, but that's more of a scenery ride. Some of the riders from Moe's Bike Shop have been hitting a trail at the end of El Rod street in Coos Bay. That's about 10 miles out and back, but consider it straight XC without much twisty-turny stuff. Just straight up a hill, then straight back down.
    Yeah, I have been on Blue Ridge a few times this summer, mainly on the north end of the trails. I just exercise a little common sense and stay away from any logging that is going on. Actually I've only seen active logging going on twice. I usually go earlier in the morning and when I am heading home I pass a few trucks.

I plan on clearing Mud Bog Alley and Danny Boy next time I go... or, at least start on them. Middle Tie/Doughnut/Steaming Donkey is about 90% clear now. There is one tree that is good sized and a chainsaw is the only way it's getting cleared, other than that maybe one other smaller tree and misc branches. Hearts Content was totally clear until about 2 weeks ago and there had been trees dropped on it. Last week they were still in that area working, so it may be clear now. Jigiiyat's north portion is totally clear, fast but short. My only reason for thinking the logging is an ok thing is just that it'll prevent trees from falling during the winter, but that's really it. It's definitely irritating when you come across a tree that they dropped but didn't clear, that's for sure.

El Rod sounds pretty interesting... is the trail head obvious?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was just on vacation in Bandon. Stopped by the shop there and couldn't get ANY scoop on where to ride except Winchester. Ran into a hellofaniceguy at the gas station. He mentioned the airport at Port Orford having some really fun stuff.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miniman868 View Post
    I was just on vacation in Bandon. Stopped by the shop there and couldn't get ANY scoop on where to ride except Winchester. Ran into a hellofaniceguy at the gas station. He mentioned the airport at Port Orford having some really fun stuff.
    It's surprising you couldn't get any info from the shop in Bandon... Karl has always led me in the right direction and I also bought "Oregon South Coast Bike Ride Guide" by Tom Baake there. The guy at the gas station was probably talking about Blacklock, which is one of my favorite places around. The trail itself is very beginner, but the views are spectacular.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry, came off wrong. Stupid internet. The shop owner, Karl, seemed like a great dude. We spent time talking about the new Bandon pump track and his plans for some new trail in the area. Apparently, in logging country, trailwork is done a little different than where I'm at. He has a fat bike on display too, love those. He did offer me the book too. It just felt like coastal Oregon was a little more roadie-centric.

mtbr member
    I plan on clearing Mud Bog Alley and Danny Boy next time I go... or, at least start on them. Middle Tie/Doughnut/Steaming Donkey is about 90% clear now. There is one tree that is good sized and a chainsaw is the only way it's getting cleared, other than that maybe one other smaller tree and misc branches. Hearts Content was totally clear until about 2 weeks ago and there had been trees dropped on it. Last week they were still in that area working, so it may be clear now. Jigiiyat's north portion is totally clear, fast but short. My only reason for thinking the logging is an ok thing is just that it'll prevent trees from falling during the winter, but that's really it. It's definitely irritating when you come across a tree that they dropped but didn't clear, that's for sure.

El Rod sounds pretty interesting... is the trail head obvious?
    Danny Boy and Miller's Madness were both in pretty bad shape when I was out there. I got kinda depressed because Blue Ridge is my favorite riding in the area, and my first time in there since the logging and the trails are just a mess. Not just from the logging, but since the trails have been officially "closed" for two years, this means some of the normal trail repair that would have been done by both cyclists and motorcyclists has not been done so everything is in pretty bad shape. There are whole sections of the trail that have been clear-cut, and there's no distinguishing the old trail from clear-cut. It seemed to me that most of the logging activity was going on over near Heart's Content and Slugfest, so I didn't make it over to that area because I was already depressed by the areas where active logging didn't seem to be happening.

The El Rod ride is right at the end of El Rod street up behind near Marshfield High School. It's a mix of singletrack and gravel road. You climb up, and eventually pop out on Libby Lane. However there is singletrack off to the right that heads over towards Ocean Blvd. and pops out in a neighborhood over there. I've seen a couple other trails that veer off that route, but haven't investigated. Last time I went, the blackberry bushes had kind of over-taken some of the side routes, so I'm waiting to investigate after the foilage starts retreating this fall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    that pump track sounds like it'll be great!

@theonejoe Can't do this tuesday at euphoria, actually Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty much out all summer but other evenings are bueno. That goes for anyone who wants to ride euphoria evening or weekends jsut let me know- it's certainly worth a drive from coos bay or roseburg (about an hour)
    Hayduke holds his foaming can of beer in one hand, the other five cans-bound together by a plastic collar- in the other hand. What to do? In order to function he must put down the beer. But in order to function he has to drink the beer. A cruel bind.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miniman868 View Post
    Sorry, came off wrong. Stupid internet. The shop owner, Karl, seemed like a great dude. We spent time talking about the new Bandon pump track and his plans for some new trail in the area. Apparently, in logging country, trailwork is done a little different than where I'm at. He has a fat bike on display too, love those. He did offer me the book too. It just felt like coastal Oregon was a little more roadie-centric.
    Yeah, it definitely is more road friendly here on the coast. I think just about anywhere around here could take cues from the success of Oakridge and really put themselves on the map for the MTB community.

Danny Boy and Miller's Madness were both in pretty bad shape when I was out there. I got kinda depressed because Blue Ridge is my favorite riding in the area, and my first time in there since the logging and the trails are just a mess. Not just from the logging, but since the trails have been officially "closed" for two years, this means some of the normal trail repair that would have been done by both cyclists and motorcyclists has not been done so everything is in pretty bad shape. There are whole sections of the trail that have been clear-cut, and there's no distinguishing the old trail from clear-cut. It seemed to me that most of the logging activity was going on over near Heart's Content and Slugfest, so I didn't make it over to that area because I was already depressed by the areas where active logging didn't seem to be happening.

The El Rod ride is right at the end of El Rod street up behind near Marshfield High School. It's a mix of singletrack and gravel road. You climb up, and eventually pop out on Libby Lane. However there is singletrack off to the right that heads over towards Ocean Blvd. and pops out in a neighborhood over there. I've seen a couple other trails that veer off that route, but haven't investigated. Last time I went, the blackberry bushes had kind of over-taken some of the side routes, so I'm waiting to investigate after the foilage starts retreating this fall.
    There is definitely a lack of maintenance, which is where I hope I can help out. The trails themselves are in pretty decent shape, it's just Mother Nature taking over. If I can clear it myself I will for sure. Makes the next trip up there that much better! I plan on heading back up there this week at least once and clear and ride as much as I can, last weeks ride was far too short.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan View Post
    that pump track sounds like it'll be great!

@theonejoe Can't do this tuesday at euphoria, actually Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty much out all summer but other evenings are bueno. That goes for anyone who wants to ride euphoria evening or weekends jsut let me know- it's certainly worth a drive from coos bay or roseburg (about an hour)
    I may have to take you up on that! I have a buddy who rides also so I'll see what his schedule is like (he works a lot). I am currently in the process of restoring a Specialized FatBoy, just waiting for my parts from DansComp and it'll be back on the road and hopefully just in time to go rip up the pump track!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Has anyone ever ridden around the Pony Creek Reservoir? I know it's federal land and it's trespassing, well technically, but I have been in there to try and catch fish...no luck.

Also the Cape Arago area does have a few overgrown trails that I plan to scratch up my new Scale on. I want to find/make a trail from Cape Arago to Whiskey Run!!!

I will have to check out the Elrod trail....that sounds to me like it approaches the reservoir from the east side?

Yesterday at Empire Lakes...by the college.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-21-10.26.38.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theNooch View Post

I will have to check out the Elrod trail....that sounds to me like it approaches the reservoir from the east side?
    I doubt that you can get to the reservoir, which I've only heard about, but never been near. The El Rod trail stays out of the reservation/federal land. It climbs up alongside Blossom Gulch on the MHS side, then you eventually hit a jeep road, climb it, traverse singletrack over to a gravel road, climb it, look for singletrack off to the left, head that way towards Libby Ln., watch for singletrack off towards your right. That singletrack takes you over to Ocean Blvd., popping out in a neighborhood above/around the AAA offices. If you rode out and back from the dead-end at El Rod, you maybe put in 10 miles. Not the most exciting miles either, but people like it cause you can go fast downhill. No turns. To the original point, the rider isn't anywhere near the reservoir, which I hear is up behind K-Mart somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I doubt that you can get to the reservoir, which I've only heard about, but never been near.
    Au contraire! I have hiked in and fished in the upper reservoir, but only from the west side.

Today I jumped the fence @ the south end of Madison (in methpire) and was planning to ride the dirt road to Libby Ln. I ran into a Tribal Cop about half way and assumed I was going to get busted. He asked me where I entered and I told him the truth...that I was just looking for dirt trails to ride on in the area. He said, "Don't ride in here Mon-Fri through the summer as we are doing road work, but Sat-Sun should be ok".

He must have been a biker or just a real native American, cuz he was too nice to be wearing that gun and badge. In any case I told him I would just exit @ Miluk instead of heading all the way to Libby Ln. The road/trail exits on Libby Ln where that old baseball field is about a mile from Charleston.

Here is a pic of a double wide bridge that crosses Tarheel Creek...I think this bridge in an old WW2 runway or similar.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-23-10.25.30.jpg

This pic is up on Miluk...I usually ride up there, and there is a cool memorial and bench, but today I did exit like I told the Tribal Cop.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-23-10.33.43.jpg

Here is a link to Google Maps...I'm surprised how many native Coos Folk don't know about the reservoirs.

http://tinyurl.com/mj52x8o

I'll be trying out your Elrod trail soon. This thread needs moar Coos pics!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theNooch View Post
    Au contraire! I have hiked in and fished in the upper reservoir, but only from the west side.
    Oh, I meant I doubt you can get to the reservoir from the El Rod trial I was talking about. Let us know if you find any new single track.

mtbr member
    Hey thenooch, I may be wrong about accessing the reservoir from the El Rod trail. I was out riding yesterday, and I came to a clearing I hadn't paid much attention to before. From there, I could see a nice view of the reservoir. Looked to be at least a mile away, and I couldn't see any trails heading in that direction. I still have my doubts, but there has to be some access from this side.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Went riding at Blue Ridge on Saturday and ran into a guy (not literally ) who was up hiking with his daughter. He also rides and wants to help clear trails, so maybe we could plan something on a weekend to get up there and clear some trails as a group?

I didn't have a ton of time, so I just rode Middle Tie/Doughnut/Steaming Donkey then took 26-12-25.3 to Jigiiyat and called it a day. Middle Tie and Doughnut are pretty well clear but it's gonna take a chainsaw and a couple hands to clear Steaming Donkey. The north portion of Jigiiyat to the parking area is totally clear of any down trees, etc.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-1013406_10151494663626560_1689377930_n.jpg

On the way home I stopped and walked about 200 feet or so down Danny Boy and it was pretty clear. Next time I go up I'm going to take my machete and ride it/clear what I can.

All the logging equipment was parked near the radio towers area so it seems they are progressing that direction for the moment.

I'd also like to try El Rod when I get a chance.. sounds like it could be fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I'm living on Blue Ridge

Went riding at Blue Ridge on Saturday and ran into a guy (not literally ) who was up hiking with his daughter. He also rides and wants to help clear trails, so maybe we could plan something on a weekend to get up there and clear some trails as a group?
    I just got hired to be the watchman up at Blue Ridge! I will be getting paid to camp and ride my new bike every day. I am kind of wishing I would have sprung for a Gary Fisher Hifi I was looking at because up here FS would be nice...In any case, if you wanna hook up for rides or even beers and BBQ, I have my 5th wheel up here for the next few months.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-29-19.12.42.jpg

All the logging equipment was parked near the radio towers area so it seems they are progressing that direction for the moment.
    I am parked about 100 yards to the right at the 4-way before the towers. Yes, they are moving in a ton of equipment this week, but I believe I can do just about whatever I want up here! It's ****in' bad ass!

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-29-19.13.06.jpg

PM if you wanna call before coming up...I have 3G service too! (not sure if it's cool to post phone digits on this forum)

p.s. nice pics TheOneJoe

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Wow, I am jealous! I think I may head up there tomorrow afternoon. I'll PM ya!

mtbr member
    He theNooch, let us know what's going on with the new equipment and where the logging might be taking place. Also, report back when you get some rides in and let us know what's clear.

I'm up for clearing trails if we get the ok.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Headed up to Blue Ridge today (well, Tuesday) around 2:30 and rode Danny Boy until I couldn't anymore because of the brush growing into the trail so I parked the bike and took off on foot with my machete... cleared lots of down branches from the trail and it's clear probably a mile in now. There is a little bit of dirt bike erosion in the corners, but it's just ferns and the like growing into the trail. It's a fun ride!

Afterwards, I headed over and BS'd with TheNooch for probably an hour. He can expand on the details of when the logging is done, but the moral of the story is: Theres nothing stopping us from clearing the trails, and riding them.. just exercise a little common sense and you'll be fine. I go up there once a week at least and have had nothing but a good time with the exception of the idiots who dump trash by the pond. Grr.

Anyways, I shot/edited a little video and took some photos. Nothing spectacular, but I had fun.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-20130730_163826.jpgCoos and Curry county riders, Check in!-20130730_164344.jpg

Blue Ridge Trails, Oregon - Danny Boy and Jigiiyat - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Afterwards, I headed over and BS'd with TheNooch for probably an hour. He can expand on the details of when the logging is done, but the moral of the story is: Theres nothing stopping us from clearing the trails, and riding them..
    Absolutely! We may need more than a machete for some of these trails. I have a 16" Husky that will remove logs and branches, but perhaps a pair of gas powered hedge trimmers?

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-31-07.46.50.jpg

just exercise a little common sense and you'll be fine. I go up there once a week at least and have had nothing but a good time with the exception of the idiots who dump trash by the pond. Grr
    Before...

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-31-08.36.32.jpg

and after...

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-31-08.53.17.jpg

as long as I'm up here, no farkin' trash dumpin'!

My dog, the Moses, is loving life up here, and haulin' his ass around the mountains is great exercise.

Coos and Curry county riders, Check in!-2013-07-31-07.38.31.jpg

This job don't pay much, but it sure kicks ass for fringe benefits.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Yeah, that chainsaw will come in really handy on Steaming Donkey! Awesome work on the trash, man.

mtbr member
    Nice vids and pics guys! I'm going to be out of the area until late August, but maybe we should get a work party together for early September? I don't really have any tools, but I got manpower.

Riding in Oregon
    May 2013
    Sounds good! I've got a machete, loppers, hatchet, etc. I'm sure we could make a dent in those dang bushes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast