mtbr member

Continental Mountain King II or Trail King on Oregon Trails

**Note: please no reply regarding any other tire manufacture or Continental models. This is very specific to Mountain II and Trail Kings. Thanks in advance**

Hey Folks - I moved over to Continental Trail Kings this fall (2.4, Black Chili) and thought they were fantastic tires. Good grip, handled wet and *cold* conditions very well (though mud shedding is not all that great). However, they are FREAKING heavy tires, especially the UST versions and I'd like to get something a bit lighter. Since I'm loving the Black Chili goodness, I'd like to stick with Continental and, as such, the Mountain King II looks like a good candidate.

Has anyone run the Mountain King II UST's in Oregon in Spring, Fall, and Winter under all conditions? Think in terms of Post Canyon, Oakridge, Sandy Ridge, Scappoose, and Syncline (ok, that's WA, but close enough). If yes, how did they handle:

- high and low speed cornering
    - grip in loose and hardpack trail conditions
    - wet roots and rocks
    - mud grip and shedding
    - durability on high speed rock terrain
    - tire integrity (i.e how well did it hold/handdle air, burp, and puncture resistance)

Cool if you only ran the tube version and can still answer the above
    Last edited by JMW503; 01-31-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    Most of my riding is in the Bend area, so I rarely see wet rocks/roots; and I run tubes....

But the Mountain Kings are great. Excellent cornering and grip; holds up very well to the sharp lava rocks around here.

I, too, am a Conti fan, on both road and mountain bikes. Love the Black Chili!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Most of my riding is in the Bend area, so I rarely see wet rocks/roots; and I run tubes....

But the Mountain Kings are great. Excellent cornering and grip; holds up very well to the sharp lava rocks around here.

I, too, am a Conti fan, on both road and mountain bikes. Love the Black Chili!
    Thanks Dirt Farmer. How do you find the transition into corners? I notice there's a bit more gap between the inner and outer knobs than with the Trail Kings, though less than something like the Maxxis High Roller. Do you find it rolls into the edge knobs smoothly or is there a small jump, for lack of a better word?

Afric Pepperbird
    I've never ridden TK's, or Maxxis. I came from WTB Weirwolf, Hutchinson, Bontrager, and Panaracer before these.

I've felt no "jumping", and the sharp cornering (i.e. ."edge knobs") is smooth as butter. But then again, I'm sure I ride a completely different terrain than you (as the areas you've described above).

mtbr member
    **Note: please no reply regarding my response to the Continental Mountain Kings. My response is very specifically designed to address these tires**

I think the MK's suck, I know my impression may be in the minority though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've easily ran the 2.2 Trail Kings tubeless without needing the UST designation.

The UST models are heavier, and the 2.4's are HUGE. You'll save 500 grams switching to standard 2.2's alone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    **Note: please no reply regarding my response to the Continental Mountain Kings. My response is very specifically designed to address these tires**

Were these the MK's or the MK II's? Apparently, there's a huge change between the two in 2011. Also, any chance you can elaborate on what sucked in your experience?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    I've easily ran the 2.2 Trail Kings tubeless without needing the UST designation.

The UST models are heavier, and the 2.4's are HUGE. You'll save 500 grams switching to standard 2.2's alone...
    Yep, I'm using the 2.4 now and they're 890 grams without tubes and pretty voluptuous. :>) That said, they rail on the trails. 2.2's are a bit small for my riding style, though I can go 2.2 in the rear. Any experience with the MK II's?

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    **Note: please no reply regarding any other tire manufacture or Continental models. This is very specific to Mountain II and Trail Kings. Thanks in advance**

Hey Folks - I' moved over to Continental Trail Kings this fall (2.4, Black Chili) and thought they were fantastic tires. Good grip, handled wet and *cold* conditions very well (though mud shedding is not all that great). However, they are FREAKING heavy tires, especially the UST versions and I'd like to get something a bit lighter. Since I'm loving the Black Chili goodness, I'd like to stick with Continental and, as such, the Mountain King II looks like a good candidate.

Has anyone run the Mountain King II UST's in Oregon in Spring, Fall, and Winter under all conditions? Think in terms of Post Canyon, Oakridge, Sandy Ridge, Scappoose, and Syncline (ok, that's WA, but close enough). If yes, how did they handle:

- high and low speed cornering
    - grip in loose and hardpack trail conditions
    - wet roots and rocks
    - mud grip and shedding
    - durability on high speed rock terrain
    - tire integrity (i.e how well did it hold/handdle air, burp, and puncture resistance)

Cool if you only ran the tube version and can still answer the above
    The Trail Kings have been one of the worst tires I've ever used for high speed/aggressive riding in Oregon. The high speed cornering was horrid, braking was fine but faded to poor when leaned at any angle and I ripped both sidewalls in less than 10 rides and the Willamette valley isn't exactly rocky. It was a GOOD tire at ssssslow speed wet rooted stuff. It could be a fine rear tire for Driving Miss Daisy rides.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    The Trail Kings have been one of the worst tires I've ever used for high speed/aggressive riding in Oregon. The high speed cornering was horrid, braking was fine but faded to poor when leaned at any angle and I ripped both sidewalls in less than 10 rides and the Willamette valley isn't exactly rocky. It was a GOOD tire at ssssslow speed wet rooted stuff. It could be a fine rear tire for Driving Miss Daisy rides.

Brock...
    Were you using the Black Chili, Made in Germany version of the TK's? Did you try the MK II's?

Making fat cool since '71
    Were you using the Black Chili, Made in Germany version of the TK's? Did you try the MK II's?
    Yes to BC and made in Germany. I've not been on the MK ll.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trail king 2.2 is plenty big for the trails you describe. It certainly looks and feels as big as the MK 2.4 (either generation). I can't say I am a huge fan of the new MK 2.2--it has good climbing traction, good mud shedding, average cornering, but I've never thought "wow, I really like this tire. It was definitely better paired with a trail king 2.2 than my current baron 2.3--but only because the traction disparity between the baron and MK is too big. Riding german black chili versions of all of these.

mtbr member
    +1 for (first generation Mk pro) Mountain King 2.4' as a front tire

mtbr member
    i just spent 3 weeks riding on a borrowed bike that had the mountain kings on them. i don't like them, they slipped in the mud going uphill, slipped on wet logs, never hooked up in the corners, didn't grab braking and packed with mud bad. that being said when i first borrowed the bike it was dry and they rolled really fast on the trail.

all last winter i ran a 2.4 trail king on my rear, i loved it until it got to be about 50% tread then its performance started to diminish. this winter i decided to try them both front and rear, i don't like it in the front and will not put it back on my bike when i reassemble it. i occasionally ride with some others that will only ride the mountain kings but they are about 100 lbs lighter than myself. i would recommend asking around and seeing if anyone has some that you can try out.

mtbr member
    Were these the MK's or the MK II's? Apparently, there's a huge change between the two in 2011. Also, any chance you can elaborate on what sucked in your experience?
    This was before 2011, so I guess this was a MK and not a MKII, but my experience was bad enough that I'd never purchase anything labeled a Mountain King again. I used these for 6 days straight in Canada, then another 7 days straight in Oregon, plus a couple weekends over a 4 week period.

I'll echo ImaKlyde's sentiment. I thought they were horrible at high speed/aggressive riding. At slow speeds they hooked up good, but at higher speed it felt like the tread blocks themselves were to soft that they were giving way. (I'm not sure if this is even possible, but it's my non-technical description). I run tubes and have no interest in going down the tubeless path, I could not keep these from pinch flatting at 32-35 psi. On one ride I jacked the pressure up to 40 psi and didn't pinch flat. Before these tires, and after, I did not and have not had a huge pinch flat problem.

I will say that my current favorite tire is the Geax Gato in the 2.3 variety.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

I agree with OldHouse on this one. The first gen MKs sucked donkey nuts. I bought a 2.4 for the front of my old bike. Hated it and traded it for a Nevegal stick-E for winter riding.
    However, on my newer bike I have a TK UST 2.4(HUGE tire) on the front and got an MKII 2.4 ProTection for the rear. Admittedly, the 2.4 is too big in the back and am looking to sell that and get a 2.2.
    But...the TK is the best front I've found for the NorthWet. Yes, this version is heavy as a sandbag but it hooks up in railed corners, grabs wet roots and rocks as well as a tire can, and has plenty of grip. The MKII I haven't really had in the wet but on a brown pow day and sticky day at Sandy Ridge it had no problems at all. It grips very well and is slow and you feel the knobs on hardpack.
    I have had no problems with grip. I've found with any tire it's all about the pressure. Experiment. Find the right pressure for the tire/rim combo.
    The UST holds air no problems. I mostly run it around 18psi. The MKII has been a nightmare to keep air in. I'm gonna try laying it on it's side and see if it will seal up micro pores.
    I've had no issues hitting rocks at Sandy Ridge. No tears, just the bouncing rubber pinching sounds. The tires work like a champ on 2 Turntables.
    The tires roll well at Post Canyon and Surveyors. Will see how slow they are at Growlers when it's open again. The TK felt slow but rolled fine on the baby smooth Growlers trails.
    Oh and surprisingly the Trail King doesn't fill up with mud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've been running Mountain King 2.2 black chilis for the past year. Not sure if they are "II" or not. Doesn't say that on the tire. Run them with tubes. At least 50% of my rides are at Post Canyon. LOVE the tire. Great grip. Fast rolling. Love the way they corner. Seem to work well in all conditions from dry to wet. Durable -- they look new after 14 months of riding. Really the best tire I have ever used (not that I have used them all, of course).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Old Mountain King:
    Continental Mountain King II or Trail King on Oregon Trails-wpid-conti_mountain_king_3_4-d.jpg

New Mountain King:
    Continental Mountain King II or Trail King on Oregon Trails-continental_mountain_king_protection_29_x_2.2_tire_w_black_chili_2_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    . . . I definitely have the Mountain King II. Love 'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I currently run a mixed setup with a new style MK2.4 in front and an old style MK 2.2 in back. I mostly ride PIR (short track racing), Cascade Locks and Bend/Sisters area and my experience at low medium speeds is that the front sticks like glue but the back gets a little loose at times.I guess this proves the the MK II is a definite improvement. FWIW I used to run Conti Speed King Supersonic tires which were wicked fast but not very grippy.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.