mtbr member

Contemplating Umpqua

I'm considering riding some of the North Umpqua River Trail in June, I would appreciate any info or advise anyone could give me on the trail. Which sections are best scenery, least climbing, easiest to access, safest, funnest? Where can I find the best info on the trail and conditions?(web-links)

My wife would feel better if I didn't ride alone so if anyone would like to join me I'd love the company. I'll be camping at Diamond Lake and I plan to ride on June 24th or 25th.

Thanks
    Jolly (aka Terry)

dusty paw tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Which sections are best scenery, least climbing, easiest to access, safest, funnest?
    Tough call. Umpqua's not known for easy and safe ... also you don't mention length you'd like to ride. If you're solo, you're probably doing an out and back too. Hmm.. you want scenery, fun, safety, minimum climbing and easy access. All of the trail is easy to access (except the remote upper stuff of course), so don't worry about that.

Maybe park at Marsters and head up the Jesse Wright section. When you reach the river and the downed bridge turn around. It's about a 4 mile section, some climbing and some techy but mostly mellow old growth singletrack. If you're game for more you can head down the beginning section of Marsters when you get back to your car. Marsters starts across from Jesse Wright off the gravel road. I recommend parking here anyway. There's a nice spot to hang by the river and chill with a beer after your ride.

Here are some phone numbers for trail conditions.

Diamond Lake Ranger (for Jesse Wright and higher): 541-498-2531
    North Umpqua Ranger (for Marsters and lower): 541-496-3532

pic of Dread and Terror section summer '05
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Umpqua mileage

I was figuring 15-30 miles depending on the amount of climbing involved in the section(s) I choose to do. My wife can shuttle me (and two others) back to the starting point or Diamond Lake regardless of where I finish. I consider myself an intermediate rider, I've soloed MTR and Waldo Lake among others and it is only the remoteness of the N.U.T that concerns me. I've heard good stuff and bad about the Lemolo Lake and Dread and Terror sections, looks to be a combined 20 miles (throw in HotSprings sections for an even 25). Does anyone know if there are graphs showing elevaltion gained and lost on this section?

Terry

What day are we riding?
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua/publi...l-brochure.pdf

Ask and you shall receive...

If you are by yourself I would probably not do the Dread and Terror section, although it is one of my favorites. It meets the best scenery and funnest (IMHO) criteria.

Some more Dread and Terror pics from last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Now ya done it!

Thanks for the advice but did ya have to include the great pictures? Now I'm even more tempted to ride the "Dread and Terror" section.

You said your pictures were from last week, does that mean the "Dread and Terror" section is open and ridable? How long did it take you to ride it?

Jolly

Gittyup!
    I put together some info on the trail online:

http://gittyup.net/northumpqua

Maps, BLM info, trail section descriptions, etc. It should get you well on your way to planning a trip

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    I'm considering riding some of the North Umpqua River Trail in June, I would appreciate any info or advise anyone could give me on the trail. Which sections are best scenery, least climbing, easiest to access, safest, funnest? Where can I find the best info on the trail and conditions?(web-links)

My wife would feel better if I didn't ride alone so if anyone would like to join me I'd love the company. I'll be camping at Diamond Lake and I plan to ride on June 24th or 25th.

Thanks
    Jolly (aka Terry)

dusty paw tracks

sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    If you are by yourself I would probably not do the Dread and Terror section, although it is one of my favorites. It meets the best scenery and funnest (IMHO) criteria.

Some more Dread and Terror pics from last weekend.
    looks good. how were conditions? Dread and Terror has always been wet and wild when i've ridden it. looks like good conditions for you last weekend! good to know.

What day are we riding?

:ittle bit of snow, some blow downs

But all in all pretty darn good. The sections with patches of snow ended by the time you cross the river below Lemolo Falls. It looks like they are clearing the blowdowns from either end and working towards the middle. I will post more taunting pics when I get back after next weekend...

mtbr member

Umpqua Thanks

Thanks guys, Good info so far.

mtbr member
    Hi Jolly,
    You realize. of course, that your timing puts any Puff riders out of the picture since the date coincides (June 25). And there are numerous of us Bleugeneans/DODers who would love to have/be company on NUT. And as to the Dread & Terror section, I rode it last summer with Sparty, Wreckless, General Coonskins, and Mountin Larry, and I can't say as I saw anything that is that scary. It is amazingly beautiful there.

mtbr member

Yea! No help for it.

I realize it, but my vacation was set and planned for Diamond Lake back in November. Ya gotta go when ya can. I'd like to have some company on the ride so I figured I'd mention it on the chance there might be someone in Oregon that isn't participating in the Cream Puff. Maybe some Cream Puffers will need a warm up on Saturday, although they'd all ride away from me.

Anyway if anyone is interested doing the North Umpqua ride on the 24th or 25th of June I'm making plans.

Go! Cream Puffers ya'll rock.

Terry

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ok. So, I'm thinking about doing the whole thing in August. A few freinds have done it before and I'm used to all day slogs so it will be a challenge but I know it's doable.
    Question: how long should we allot ourselves to complete it? (We'll stash food and water along the way on our way up.
    And, what about the Apple Fire area. If it's still closed, is there a way around?

BTW: Thanks for the link and all the good info!

dusty paw tracks

maybe 16 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Question: how long should we allot ourselves to complete it? (We'll stash food and water along the way on our way up.
    And, what about the Apple Fire area. If it's still closed, is there a way around?
    Apple Creek section you just head to the road to skip.

You could split it up mentally into 3 chunks:

Coming from Lemolo (upper end you can ride) down thru Dread and Terror to Hot Springs sets up a natural rest zone at Toketee Lake before Deer Leap.

Launch over Deer Leap thru Jesse Wright, Marsters and Panther. Fuel up and consider the sapping sections yet to ride.

Finally, Mott and Tioga over Bob's Butte-hole down to Swiftwater for a nice soak in the river..

That's a gnarly day. I'd give 16 hours for my own riding pace.

It'd be sweet to bag the NUT in a day! Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

Thanks.

We rode the Cascade Triple Crown last year (Up Crystal Mountain, Dalles/Palisades, Suntop all in one day and that was about 13:45 and 53 miles with over 14K of climbing so this should be cake. Right?

It's a goal. So, maybe I'll have to do it earlier for daylight considerations. Is there poison oak down there too? (Worth asking, I suppose.)

I'll let you guys know if we set a date. Just so you can laugh at us if you want...

What day are we riding?
    I would say yes to the poison oak question.

Be sure to post when you are going to try to do the whole thing. That has been one of my goals but I can't seem to make it the goal of any of my friends. We are going to do the Dread and Terror through the Marsters section on Thursday. Thinking about doing the rest on Friday or hit some of the other trails in the area.

Always Breaking Stuff
    Seems like you got most of your questions answered, I'll just chime in a bit more.

We did the 3 sections slimTree mentioned over the 3 day Memorial weekend. Just taking it easy, about 20miles/day.

Anything above Dread and Terror had lots of blow down last weekend.

Calf segment is still closed.

There was TONS of oak in the Panther segment, and some in Mott, but everywhere else it was pretty minimal.

Definitely ticks out there too.

Might as well post a couple pics, it was the best singletrack I've ever been on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    On Father's Day, a friend and I are getting a shuttle from Wright Creek Road to the top. I can find the website for the shuttle-dude if you want. Anyway, we're riding the whole trail EXCEPT the bottom section. By then we'll have so many miles on our legs that the last climb up to Bob Butte would be brutal, and no bailouts in that last 16 miles. Going to add a little trail and a stop at the Dry Creek Store, by going down the road a few miles from where the trail crosses the road. After fueling up at the store, it's a mile or so up Illahe Flat Road to the Illahe Trail, and back down to the NUT, where you get to ride that nice downhill section again to the road crossing and beyond.

And with the shuttle service, we don't have to spend an extra 2 to 2 1/2 hours driving time to fetch a vehicle after we're totally spent from the ride. It's not exactly cheap, but it'll defnintely be worth it.

Maybe I'll ride the first section on the day before just so I can claim bragging rights for riding it all in a day and a half. But you guys who are doing the whole thing are maniacs! More power to ya, mon!

dusty paw tracks
    what's up with that first pic, thorir - where are you guys crossing?

albee that sounds fantastic! sounds like you've strung it together before. great tip to hit the Dry Creek store on the way down river.

damn, when is Father's day? maybe i'll have to try to put together a good long ride too...

mtbr member

Sweet pics

Nice shots, looks like a beautiful ride.

thanks!

Always Breaking Stuff
    That is White Mule Cr. just before the White Mule TH in the Lemolo section. Everything below the White Mule TH has been cleared, but above that trail head there is lots of down and no bridge across that creek.

I'd recommend starting at White Mule TH and skipping the Lemolo section.

-Jon

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Thanks.

We rode the Cascade Triple Crown last year (Up Crystal Mountain, Dalles/Palisades, Suntop all in one day and that was about 13:45 and 53 miles with over 14K of climbing so this should be cake. Right?

It's a goal. So, maybe I'll have to do it earlier for daylight considerations. Is there poison oak down there too? (Worth asking, I suppose.)

I'll let you guys know if we set a date. Just so you can laugh at us if you want...
    I've also thought about doing the whole thing in a day. I think you could hammer it out in under 12hrs. I did dread and terror, hot springs deer leep and looped back to the car on the road in around 6hrs, around 60 miles with 30 road miles (yuk). I believe the whole thing is around 80 miles with the top section being the slowest and slimmy.Also heard that lemolo and maidu not worth it. Post when you're going and maybe get a little company for part of it.