My dogs are killin me

New question here. Considering moving to Lake Oswego...

Hi all,

I'm a native Southern Californian. Been here my whole life but I'm an outdoorsman as I'm sure you all are. I'm just getting fed up with the city and commuting to work on my bike and am considering moving to my company's Lake Oswego office. I've been through Oregon and it was absolutely beautiful but i'm not really familiar with Lake Oswego and really only know that it's about in the center of the state. That's it.

Can anybody give me a general outline of the Lake Oswego Area please? How is the house pricing? As a guideline a 3 bedroom 2 bath would generally run $400 - $500K down here.

Secondly, how is the weather, especially in the winter months(we're not used to winters)? I realize it's going to be colder up there but want to move to a less populated area. And lastly, and most importantly, is there decent local riding in Lake Oswego?

Thanks for any help at all. My wife and are just sick of looking at a brown blanket of smog every day!
    Yes! In dee face!

Cheezy Rider
    Better get a map, my friend. Lake Oswego is a Portland suburb, which puts it on the northern edge of the state. It's one of the swankier suburbs, which makes housing prices high for Oregon but still a lot less than what you see in socal. It's on the south side of the city, so you don't have far to go to get out of town. From November to June it tends to be cold and rainy, with occasional snow and ice storms. Some sunbirds get used to it, others can't handle it and move south again. This is probably the worst ime of year to make the move, you come from sunny Cali to 6 months of rain. If you come in the spring you can see how nice it is, which makes it easier to endure the winter.

As an LA transplant myself, I would never go back. Too much traffic, smog, and generally cranky people. I don't live in Portland but I doubt that there's any local riding, but lots of good stuff is within an hour's drive.

I'd go for it. It's good to get out and experience another part of the country, and if your company has a job waiting for you and pays for the move there's not much of a down side. You can always go back if you hate it up here.

My dogs are killin me
    Thanks Rufudufus,

I need to pay more attention to the map, you're right.

We were planning on moving in the summer...and I feel exactly as you do: Sick of the crowds and just tired of the overpopulation and Aholes. I actually ride my bike to work a couple days a week and just despise the drivers in the area. Everyone on their cell phone and no more common courtesy.

Not to be blunt, but how are the laws in Oregon concerning a certain smokeable green plant? My wife and I are medical users but state laws vary and I know California is one of the few liberal states.
    Yes! In dee face!

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by LLrider
    Not to be blunt, but how are the laws in Oregon concerning a certain smokeable green plant? My wife and I are medical users but state laws vary and I know California is one of the few liberal states.
    Portland is, too for the most part. There's a state medical marijuana plan, but I'm not well-versed on the details.

My aunt and uncle are both medical users. I'm not quite sure the route they had to take in order to be "signed up" to receive the status, but yeah, you should be okay if you have a doc's note (I think that's what the aunt/uncle had to provide).

As for Portland's political climate...Portland itself is very liberal. I happen to love cities with a liberal vibe, and Portland is definitely in the same realm of San Francisco and Seattle. Probably right in between the two, actually, with SF higher on the scale and Seattle lower. I'm sure others will weigh in on the political thing. That's just kind of how I see it, though.

Good luck with the move!
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rufudufus,

I need to pay more attention to the map, you're right.

We were planning on moving in the summer...and I feel exactly as you do: Sick of the crowds and just tired of the overpopulation and Aholes. I actually ride my bike to work a couple days a week and just despise the drivers in the area. Everyone on their cell phone and no more common courtesy.

To get to good riding from the Portland area you pretty much have to drive an hour, but you do get to some pretty good trails in that hour.

Lake Oswego is just south of Portland, and is considered to be somewhat swanky. Housing there will be a bit more than Portland, but it will be a ton less than what you're used to in LA. I'm not a housing expert, but you should be able to get a 3 bed 2 bath there for 500,000.

I'm not sure about Lake Oswego in particular, but Portland is the most bike friendly city in the US and they have a ton of bike lanes. I don't spend much time in Lake Oswego and don't generally remember bike lanes because I'm not a roadie, but I do remember seeing at least a couple of bike lanes.

Count on rain and cold weather almost every day from October through April. Usually the rain isn't too hard though. It's just an on and off sprinkle all day long. From May to October the weather is great. It rarely rains in the summer and the hottest it gets is up to about high 90s in late July and early August with little humidity.

Drivers in Oregon are going to be better than California. Certainly that's a generalization though. A decent amount of Oregon drivers tend to be overly cautious and polite, to a fault. Things like slowing down to 40mph in a 60mph on an Interstate to let someone merge in front of them. I see that all the time, drives me up the wall.

Oregon is very accepting of weed. If you have less than an ounce you just get off with a ticket. You can get a medical marijuana card to be able to grow your own pot for medical conditions somewhat easily from what I've heard. I would almost go so far as to say Oregon is more liberal on pot use than California, but I'm not certain on that.

mtbr member
    Well, I've heard Lake Oswego called by two differant names...Lake All Ego and another that really isn't all that nice to repeat.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Not to be blunt, but how are the laws in Oregon concerning a certain smokeable green plant?
    Punny, no?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think that second nickname is Lake No Negro. It is pretty white, but hey (who are we kidding) so is Portland. As far as riding goes, forget it. I grew up and spent my formative years there, but you will have to drive to get to any good singletrack (which is the same as any part of Portland). Of course, within a 60 to 90 minute drive you have the coast range, Hood River, Falls City, SW Washington...
    Bend is roughly 3 hours away if you want to make a weekend out of it, and the cross country riding there is amazing. Look at cotamtb.org for info about the Bend trails. Also, land access issues here are pretty good from a mtb point of view (Scappoose, new legal trails sprouting like weeds in Bend). There is also a state park, Stub Stewart, less than an hour from Portland, where they are just starting to build some new freeride trails that look promising.
    As far as the weather, I doubt anything beats SoCal. That being said, I was riding some sweet singletrack in early November outside of Hood River, and the conditions were perfect. There is usually good riding to be found by March. Move here in the summer and you will be hooked.

P.S. - Hasson.com is a local realty website that you can use to research housing prices, and no, I don't work for them!

mtbr member
    I'd put a lid on that.

mtbr member
    If you want to know if you really will like Oregon, spend a week during the worst possible weather in winter. That way you won't waste time/money moving only to (potentially) discover you hate it.

That is also when I would be looking for houses as water is the prime enemy of construction around here. How does the site drain?

Flaps

mtbr member
    Wise beyond his years, Mr. Flaps, he is.

It rains here......a lot. Hints the reason it is so green and beautiful. You cannot have one without the other.

Native Oregonian. Born on the coast, and currently reside in Central Oregon....I'm over the rain.

BFE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    If you want to know if you really will like Oregon, spend a week during the worst possible weather in winter. That way you won't waste time/money moving only to (potentially) discover you hate it.

That is also when I would be looking for houses as water is the prime enemy of construction around here. How does the site drain?

Flaps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Wise beyond his years, Mr. Flaps, he is.

It rains here......a lot. Hints the reason it is so green and beautiful. You cannot have one without the other.

Native Oregonian. Born on the coast, and currently reside in Central Oregon....I'm over the rain.

BFE
    Thanks BFE (blushing). I've found out the hard way about the drainage situation. My 1942 house is still standing - I now know how to build a killer French-drain field.....
    Flaps

PS - When you coming over to this side to ride again BFE?

My dogs are killin me
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback! My uncle is in Olympia so I've visited the area and am definitely aware of the winter weather.

Good news about the mary jane and the laws though. Very good! Thanks also for the Hasson link Lil'stink.

Berkley, nice catch but no pun intended! haha. So as long as we can stand the rain, sounds like that's the only negative. But my wife and are just tired of So. Cal so I think this would be a great change. Driving to trails is no problem. I have to drive at least 30-40 minutes to get to quality trails down here so no prolem there! Man I may just have to put the gears in motion on this. Thanks again everyone. Great info!
    Yes! In dee face!

mtbr member
    Medical user, what a cop out. Why cant you just say "I like to get stoned and want to get away with it". What does it cure, nothing but the urge to get high. Lets be honest about it.

Let's roll.
    Not to take this to an entirely different topic, but I think you're confusing the point. Medical users don't use it simply to get high; they do it to manage pain. It's no different than taking vicodin after snapping a collar bone or separating a shoulder. They aren't looking for a cure, but for a better way to manage pain.

That said, there are plenty of people who do smoke weed to get high. But to assume all medical marijuana users are simply using it as an excuse to get stoned legally is pretty close-minded.

Anyway, my .02 cents.

mtbr member
    So it's like keeping the friend with benefits around. I dont buy into the medical stuff, thats just me and about 75% of the population. But it's always odd to read about the medical marijuana providers who have home invasion robberies. How many doctors have that happen to them. We all know it's just a way to get around the law. Six plants for personal useage and the law does not say how large the plants can be..... ? We're taking this off topic. Lake O is a great place, the kids drive real nice cars.

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    Lake O is a great place, the kids drive real nice cars.

That they do.

So...back to the original poster...you moving or what?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I really like Lake O

It is a beautiful place! Very expensive but probably not so much compared to So Cal. I haev heard New Jersey is nicer and much cheaper

Jaybo

My dogs are killin me
    All I can say is thank goodness for logical thinking states like California and Oregon! My wife and I aren't criminals and pose danger to no one by using.

Definitely doing my research and looking into the move though. My employer has an office close to Lake Oswego. Although it does sound like the snobby neighborhoods I only wish I could have lived in down here in Orange County, we're looking forward to it! Wow, the housing prices are ridiculously cheap, at least compared with So. Cal.

Definitely looking forward to the riding too. I've heard Mt. Hood has some great riding too. Anyone have any pictures of riding up there?
    Yes! In dee face!

Metalheadbikerider

Bust out the figures my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    So it's like keeping the friend with benefits around. I dont buy into the medical stuff, thats just me and about 75% of the population. But it's always odd to read about the medical marijuana providers who have home invasion robberies. How many doctors have that happen to them. We all know it's just a way to get around the law. Six plants for personal useage and the law does not say how large the plants can be..... ? We're taking this off topic. Lake O is a great place, the kids drive real nice cars.
    or are you basing your 75% on you and two of your three friends?
    Feel free to do a little research on marijuana and cancer patients if you need some real research data, not whether or not someone buys into it.
    Oh yeah, doctors' pharmaceutical supplies are robbed as well.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Use it if you need it only

All I can say is thank goodness for logical thinking states like California and Oregon! My wife and I aren't criminals and pose danger to no one by using.

Definitely doing my research and looking into the move though. My employer has an office close to Lake Oswego. Although it does sound like the snobby neighborhoods I only wish I could have lived in down here in Orange County, we're looking forward to it! Wow, the housing prices are ridiculously cheap, at least compared with So. Cal.

Definitely looking forward to the riding too. I've heard Mt. Hood has some great riding too. Anyone have any pictures of riding up there?
    Smoking pot is incredibly bad on your lungs. Can you say COPD? Nasty disease! If you need an anxiety treatment try a glass of wine....good for your heart and won't destroy your lungs and brain cells.

Jaybo

My dogs are killin me
    Sorry that argument doesn't work either. There are things called vaporisers that prevent any of the normal toxins associated with burning from being inhaled.

As for brain cells, please. There are plenty of highly educated people out there that use. No i'm not claiming to be one of them.
    Yes! In dee face!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Taking over thread

Sorry that argument doesn't work either. There are things called vaporisers that prevent any of the normal toxins associated with burning from being inhaled.

As for brain cells, please. There are plenty of highly educated people out there that use. No i'm not claiming to be one of them.
    Lake Oswego is a nice place but come and visit this time of year to see if you like the rain and cold. My parents live in Tri Cities after being in So Cal and find the climate challenging.

Debating about whether pot is good for you or not is stupid. Drugs of any kind are not good for you. They are needed at times but they all have negative side effects. You suck smoke into your lungs, it is going to do damage, and eventually do some damage. The efficacy of pot is still up in the air. By the way, I could care less about pot unless you are driving stoned and hit me, but denying it is bad on one's health is stupid. So, is eating McDonalds and all the other stupid things we do to ourselves in our culture.

Jaybo

My dogs are killin me
    "Drugs of any kind are not good for you" <-- Seriously?
    Yes! In dee face!

mtbr member

Come visit now.

If you come up now and see what the weather is like you'll see the worst Oregon has to offer, multiply it times five months of the year and you'll know if you can handle Oregon.

In a word its wet wet wet, yeah that's three words and none of them are "damp" and it doesn't begin to decribe how wet it is compared to SoCal. I moved here 30ty years ago from the Fresno area and I still haven't got use to the rain. Don't get me wrong I love it here but you got to know what your getting yourself into. This is seriously rainy country!!

That said I ride 52 weeks of the year and commute to work when its not pouring. I've come to terms with the rain, I love the challenge of 500rpm spins up sloppy slops, freezing rain crackling under your tires, rivers in trails, riding in waders, and cleaning six pounds of mud off my bike after every ride and thats in May. I have no idea what a dry trail looks like. (Please send pictures).

But! and here is the good part, there are trails here in Oregon that californicators can only dream of. Ride the MRT, the North Umpqua, the Alpine Trail, or Trail99 and you'll think your in bike heaven. Attend one ACM and you'll find out where the greatest group of fun loving cyclist in the NW makes its home.

Oregon is wet! the riding makes it not only bearable but loads of fun.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly