Let's roll.

Congratulations! You may already be a winner!

You, yes you have been carefully chosen from nearly 5,356,1523 applicants to help me find a trail tomorrow. It's an honor of the highest magnitude.

Choose wisely, though. The trail can't be covered in snow. It can't be too terribly far away from Portland.

Or, perhaps you're a validating type?

That works, too.

Than validate these trails/areas for me. Are they in or are they out?

Blackrock
    Hood River/Bingen (How's Syncline right about now? Is Coyote Cliffs officially closed to bikes?)
    Brown's Camp?
    Siouxan?

Pretty much my geographic limits for tomorrow are Hood River to the east, Salem/Falls City to the south, 3x rock/Siouxan to the north and Brown's Camp to the west.

What are you waiting for?

Return this forum post with a self addressed stamped envelope to:
    Andy needs a fun place to ride tomorrow
    Portland, OR

Seriously, thanks for any input.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Making fat cool since '71
    My buddy said More Fun, Troy Built, Mary's, Horsethief loops were in good shape as of yesterday.

Not much snow in Grand Junction right now...

Brock...

PS: Blackrock, do it.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Singletrack Addict
    3XRock is in great shape to Stebbins Creek. Park at Dougan Falls, ride 3 miles gravel up to TH. 5-ish miles S-track to Stebbins Ck (more above?) and back will yield a mere 15 mile ride, but include some good climbs (and descents).

I'll be there Sunday.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Brown's is perfect.
    I am not sure about Siouxan, but if there is snow, I would say you can still get through.
    Syncline is open.
    I've heard Mary's Peak is open. I think I am headed up there tomorrow. Never been.
    Maybe Capital Forest Sunday.

Let's roll.
    Brock- I'm torn. I love Blackrock, but I'm also in the mood for some solid trail riding. That said, I still might go to BR.

Snake- Good to know. Curious though: Last (and only, so far) time I rode that trail, I went past the falls and parked up in a campground that seemed surrounded by tons of logging. I had to climb what felt like 5 miles of fireroad just to find the trailhead. I remember the trail going right below Pyramid Rock (I think that's what it was called). Ended up breaking a seatpost bolt not soon after, so I had to turn around. If I had kept going, would this have dumped me out at the Steebins creek? Just curious. Thanks for the info though.

Hagen - LSU? So you're the other Tigers fan here. I thought I was the only one! Born in Ruston, LA and been a Tigers and Saints fan ever since. Anyhow, good to know Brown's is open. That's sounding pretty good. Where is Mary's Peak? Room for another, maybe?

Thanks, guys.

-Andy

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    Brock- I'm torn. I love Blackrock, but I'm also in the mood for some solid trail riding. That said, I still might go to BR.

Snake- Good to know. Curious though: Last (and only, so far) time I rode that trail, I went past the falls and parked up in a campground that seemed surrounded by tons of logging. I had to climb what felt like 5 miles of fireroad just to find the trailhead. I remember the trail going right below Pyramid Rock (I think that's what it was called). Ended up breaking a seatpost bolt not soon after, so I had to turn around. If I had kept going, would this have dumped me out at the Steebins creek? Just curious. Thanks for the info though.

Hagen - LSU? So you're the other Tigers fan here. I thought I was the only one! Born in Ruston, LA and been a Tigers and Saints fan ever since. Anyhow, good to know Brown's is open. That's sounding pretty good. Where is Mary's Peak? Room for another, maybe?

Thanks, guys.

-Andy

No S*!T, you are from Ruston? I thought I was the only coon ass around here that mtn. biked! I am originally from Amite, La. (Tangipahoa Parish). Graduated from LSU in 2004, lived in the Bay Area till fall '06, then moved here. I don't think I will ever leave. Best beer and mt. biking in the US if you ask me.
    As far as Mary's Peak, I have never been, but thinking about going either tomorrow or Sunday. I got my wallet stolen at a TH last Sunday, so I have to get an Oregon ID and I might have to do that tomrrow morning, but after that, I am on the trail somewhere. I will send you a private message with my cell #.

I got nothin'

Mary's Peak

Hagen,

As of a couple of weeks ago Mary's Peak was hammered by blow down. Unless, you have newer info I would not drive down for Mary's yet. Look for Brandone's post with photos.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Mary's

Thx for the warning HydroGeek. I read somewhere either on here or Pump's page that Mary's was good to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I rode Coyote Cliffs/Little Moab on Tuesday and it was perfect. I rode Blackrock today and it, too, was perfect. I plan on riding Brown's Camp Sunday and am happy to hear that it is also in good shape. Coyote Cliffs isn't officialy closed yet, but since the weather is supposed to be warm and sunny this weekend I say ride somewhere that is more on the west side.

Singletrack Addict
    Hmmm, your descriptions of 3XRock are unfamiliar to me. Pyrammid Rock? How far past the falls was this campground? Left fork or right fork at Dougan Falls?

A lot of people ride this trail as a loop utilizing the road. Never done it, so I'm not even sure how to describe it. The Scott Rapp map/guide has the details. That's a good 8-10 miles though. Nah, I usually go right up the trail. From Dougan Falls take the right fork and ride 3 miles of gravel road to trailhead. Trail off to the right, river on the left. Climb for a mile or so, descend a mile, climb another couple miles, then descend down to Stebbins Creek: just shy of 5 miles from trailhead to creek. From the creek there is some stout climbing up to the eventual snow zone and no-man's land. It's going to be a mess up there and well into June before the summit is attainable.

Three Corner Rock is my close-in singletrack. From my house in NE PDX, I am at Dougan Falls in 50 minutes. Hell, one time a couple yeas ago I was so frustrated with not having a car or able to catch a ride, I rode my Enduro all the way there and back. Didn't quite get to the summit that day, but close enough to see the Rock itself from just below. Not exactly the kind of "ride from your doorstep" most folks are talking about, but you get the idea. I plan on heading there every chance I get and know that every week the summit will get closer and closer.

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Hmmm, your descriptions of 3XRock are unfamiliar to me. Pyrammid Rock? How far past the falls was this campground? Left fork or right fork at Dougan Falls?

A lot of people ride this trail as a loop utilizing the road. Never done it, so I'm not even sure how to describe it. The Scott Rapp map/guide has the details. That's a good 8-10 miles though. Nah, I usually go right up the trail. From Dougan Falls take the right fork and ride 3 miles of gravel road to trailhead. Trail off to the right, river on the left. Climb for a mile or so, descend a mile, climb another couple miles, then descend down to Stebbins Creek: just shy of 5 miles from trailhead to creek. From the creek there is some stout climbing up to the eventual snow zone and no-man's land. It's going to be a mess up there and well into June before the summit is attainable.

Three Corner Rock is my close-in singletrack. From my house in NE PDX, I am at Dougan Falls in 50 minutes. Hell, one time a couple yeas ago I was so frustrated with not having a car or able to catch a ride, I rode my Enduro all the way there and back. Didn't quite get to the summit that day, but close enough to see the Rock itself from just below. Not exactly the kind of "ride from your doorstep" most folks are talking about, but you get the idea. I plan on heading there every chance I get and know that every week the summit will get closer and closer.
    Yeah...I just realized I was referring to the Tarbell Trail. I think 3X Rock is up near there, too, but I was definitely thinking of Tarbell. And to make matters worse, I'm 99.9% certain that there isn't a Pyramid Rock up there, either.
    Those must have been some killer drugs.

Sorry for the confusion. But it worked out, cause now I have directions to the actual TH, which is nice. Did you make any progress up there?

highly visible
    Late response here, but FYI Browns Camp is in excellent shape right now. I rode it Thursday night and there were only a few wet patches here and there, otherwise dry the whole way. It was dry except for a single mudhole even in the flat section about a mile in that gets pools of standing water after it rains. There was a small patch of snow right next to the trail there, but ironically the ground was dry. Go figure.

The first footbridge is closed off, damaged in the December storms, but it's a pretty short detour out to the road bridge and back.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Singletrack Addict
    Yeah, we made some progress. We got about a mile and a half above Stebbins Creek (which is mighty cold about now) and as expected we encountered a number of windfall. At first it was spotty and we cleared the logs and did some extensive brushing in places. There is still a lot more brushing that can be done, however, as we were focusing on getting up as far as possible and getting the trees off the trail. Once we got up on the spine of a secondary ridge that traverses towards the Rock's ridge, the blowdown became pretty heavy. We cleared 5 or 6 trees in a couple hundred yards and they were getting more and more complicated tangles and piles of debris that insulated the snow pack below. It was after 5pm and we faced a daunting mess to which the small cross-cut handsaw was not an efficient match. From there I scrambled another hundred yards or so up the trail and as far as I could see the damage was relentless.

It was some kind of dramatic forces last December that did this. Trees snapped off forty feet high; tips of trees buried a foot deep in the dirt; absolutely amazing and bizarre twisted wood in every direction.

I'm not discouraged, however. We were pretty exhausted by the time we called it quits and headed back down to reap the reward of our earlier efforts, blasting back to the creek and slogging back up and then that ripping middle section with the multiple chicanes getting about as close to downhill skiing as a bike can get. Another climb and a final switch back laden descent to the Washougal River completed our ride covering six miles of fun and challenging singletrack.

Like trails all over the region, however, it is still going to be a lot of work to get the entire trail cleaned up. I'm not sure when I will be able to get back to it. I was thinking about investigating Lewis River the next chance I get. But I am also anxious to see how much more we can get cleared now that the snow should be is diminishing.

Singletrack Addict
    Here's a picture from one week ago:

Same view yesterday:

Work:

Play:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Yeah, we made some progress.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work in keeping the trails maintained.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Let's roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work in keeping the trails maintained.

+1

Nice work. And thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    Hagen,

As of a couple of weeks ago Mary's Peak was hammered by blow down. Unless, you have newer info I would not drive down for Mary's yet. Look for Brandone's post with photos.
    Looks like I'll be heading up there with a Saw June 1 to clear blowdown, it sure would be nice to get some people to help out with brushing.

The upper part of North Ridge had about 6-7 trees down below the junction with the tie trail last weekend, there was 1-2 feet of snow from there up so I didn't get any further up the trail, I haven't looked at East Ridge or the Tie trail yet.

Singletrack Addict

You're Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    +1

Nice work. And thanks.
    It's been pretty gratifying. Let me also acknowledge Tait Pricer, Robert Sanders and Mark Pickett for their efforts. Four of us this past week got a lot more done than just two of us last week. However, we did not cover as much ground and had to deal with a lot more debris and treefall.

I also want to acknowledge the DOD for the efforts and inspiration and also Scott Taylor of the Cream Puff who said:
    A fantasy/goal of mine for the past several years has been for every mountain biker “in my little town” (and around the world) to adopt a trail of his/her very own! If everyone adopted just one trail and made sure it was maintained throughout the year we would all benefit immeasurably!
    I took those words to heart and am trying to do what I can to keep my favorite nearby slice of singletrack ready to ride.

It still needs lots of work (as will a lot of our other trails) and I plan on trying to get up there soon and often. Just need a bigger saw

Members who have read this thread: 0