mtbr member
    May 2009

Coming to Oregon for a week Bend vs. Ashland

So I'm going to find myself in Portland, Oregon for a week and I have a 2 freedays I was wondering if I get some info/rental infomation from some locals. I'm looking to ride some all mountain style stuff I have the option to goto Bend, Ashland, Hood River which would you recommend for this style of riding? Also I've found bike shops in both towns that rent bikes but just wanted to know if anyone had a personal recommendation?
    Last edited by linkman203; 07-20-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by linkman203
    So I'm going to find myself in Portland, Oregon for a week and I have a 2 freedays I was wondering if I get some info/rental infomation from some locals. I'm looking to ride some all mountain style stuff I have the option to goto Bend, Ashland, Hood River which would you recommend for this style of riding? Also I've found bike shops in both towns that rent bikes but just wanted to know if anyone had a personal recommendation?
    I would scratch off Ashland because of the distance (nearly 300 miles). Bend takes only slightly less time to drive to (~3.5 vs 4.5hrs).

Hood River would be your best payback for your available time--and the riding is very good.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    +1 for Hood River.
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hood River due to your time constraints.

mtbr member
    I'd go with Hood River too, just to cut down the road time & maximize the bike time. Both Discover http://www.discoverbicycles.com/ & Mountain View http://www.mtviewcycles.com/ can get you on a rental & give you some good recommendations on which trails will suit you best.

Have fun.

banned
    Hey linkman,
    Hood River has tons of great trails you can ride in town(post canyon) or out(rd. 44). Bend is way overrated for anything more than XC. Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mountain View and Discover are good resources for ride reports, as well as Dirty Fingers Bike Shop.

We've got a fairly new online source, also. Check it out at http://thegorgeismygym.com/?p=92

We've got a lot of dust and loose dirt going on right now locally and up on Road 44. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend Falls Creek, located a bit north of Carson, WA.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    In Portland Fat Tire Farm rents bikes.

I don't really have anything different to add, but I can't stand Bend, not the riding, it's pretty good, but the town itself sucks. Ashland is very nice, but at least a solid 5 hour drive from Portland. If you have 2 days to kill and have a car maybe ride the stuff off of FR 44 out of Hood River one day and something by Mt St Helens the other. If you're coming from out of the PNW, I'd highly recommend the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham (Mt St Helens), it's not very technical or very aerobically challenging but it's one of the most scenic rides we've got. I'd also do this one mid week if you can, on the weekends it's packed with bikes and hikers.

Other rides I'd recomend for an out of towner coming to Portland.

3 Corner Rock
    FR 44 out of Hood River...Dog River, Surveyers Ridge, Knebel Springs, Bottle Prairie, 15 Mile. All of these can be connected in one way or another.
    Lewis River Trail
    Falls Creek
    Wilson River Trail

And the stuff around Oakridge is worth checking out for a couple days too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.