i drink shower water

Coming to Oregon, need advice.

Hey everyone, i am finishing my last year of college this may. After I race the mountain states cup i will be moving to Oregon. I was thinking about hood river, eugene, or bend. I want to be in a place that is not huge city like Denver or LA. I also want a long riding season where it is fairly warm over the winter months. Right now I am in Gunnison Colorado and its been below 0 for the past 2 weeks.

Help me out. where should i go?? if there is better place than the ones i have listed let me know.

Thanks
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Known Mountainbiker
    Fairly warm??? It was 28F this morning in Eugene and 'spose to get up to 42f and that's about average thru the winter. With that said, both Bend and Hood have snow and they're skiing.

As for riding year 'round. If you can handle chilly mornings, a little rain, couple of puddles and mud then Eugene (southern Willamette valley) is the place to be. If you mtb and ski then Bend and Hood is the place to be. If you like beer, mtbing and skiing, well then all three work.

Disciples of Dirt is/are the local (Eugene) mtb club so be sure to hook up with them/us when you get to town.

Caz

P.S. Brock, he's from Gunnison.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Making fat cool since '71

Seems like a trend...

Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Caz

P.S. Brock, he's from Gunnison.
    ...but as long as he's not from Uuuuray it's OK I suppose. He may struggle with how cosmopolitan the valley is. Hood River may be best.

Brock...

PS: Our (the valley) winters are nothing like winters in CO. They are chilly and wet versus cold as hell and snow or cold as hell and dry. Hood River and Bend would be almost similar to what you are used to, sort of...kinda, almost.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

i drink shower water
    Ok well I am over the winters. It looks like Eugene is the place i should be. I am big in to Freeride and Downhill mtbing. Does Eugene have good DH and FR mtbing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    Ok well I am over the winters. It looks like Eugene is the place i should be. I am big in to Freeride and Downhill mtbing. Does Eugene have good DH and FR mtbing?
    Tends to be more toward the XC style of riding for the most part. I'm a XC guy, my idea of big air is if both wheels are a few inches off the ground, briefly.

There are a few folks doing some of the Freeride and Downhill riding, but as I understand it, the best place for that in the state is Blackrock.

BTW, do you already have a plan for the financial support part of life, 'cause that ain't always the easiest task in BlewGene? Just a thought...

Flaps

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I thought the same thing about Eugene when I moved here a year ago. I am in Oregon and there are mountains and hills thus there should be riding everywhere including some downhill stuff. In Eugene...it simply doesn't exist. If you want miles of trail outside your door look elsewhere. I was/am seriously bummed I couldn't get on the trails with the dogs in tow in 10 min. It is 30 min to the illusive winter stomping grounds of Whypass where you will find 0 "downhill" runs and an hour and change to Oakridge.

PS the winters suck. I walked out of class today to stare at the sun. It has almost become a novelty.

Singletrack Addict

Portland is cooler than Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow
    I thought the same thing about Eugene when I moved here a year ago. I am in Oregon and there are mountains and hills thus there should be riding everywhere including some downhill stuff. In Eugene...it simply doesn't exist. If you want miles of trail outside your door look elsewhere. I was/am seriously bummed I couldn't get on the trails with the dogs in tow in 10 min. It is 30 min to the illusive winter stomping grounds of Whypass where you will find 0 "downhill" runs and an hour and change to Oakridge.

PS the winters suck. I walked out of class today to stare at the sun. It has almost become a novelty.
    That's why Portland should be considered.

Portland's economy is much more dynamic (not necessarily great, but you don't need to bring a job) than the southern Willamette Valley. Young creative folks are flocking here. The in-town mountain biking is non-existent and over-all it is more of a push to get out for a real mountain bike ride, especially this time of year, than in a city like Eugene. But come our riding season, much like Eugene's we have access to some way above par alpine cycling singletrack trails. Might be more vairiety in closer proximity down south, but it's not too different than what's accessible up here.

Portland also has a thriving bike culture that transcends mountain biking alone. And it is only a beginning to the growth potential that active people can create from a ground-swell of partisanship. I don't count; I'm older and sedintary and disillusioned.

Portland is still a small city, but has a lot of amenities of far bigger urban centers. It has it's faults and issues (Jaybo will likely inform), but the quality of life and values are a fair trade off IMHO. And you would be halfway between Blackrock and Post Canyon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    That's why Portland should be considered......

Portland's economy is much more dynamic (not necessarily great, but you don't need to bring a job) than the southern Willamette Valley. Young creative folks are flocking here. The in-town mountain biking is non-existent and over-all it is more of a push to get out for a real mountain bike ride, especially this time of year, than in a city like Eugene. But come our riding season, much like Eugene's we have access to some way above par alpine cycling singletrack trails. Might be more vairiety in closer proximity down south, but it's not too different than what's accessible up here.

Portland also has a thriving bike culture that transcends mountain biking alone. And it is only a beginning to the growth potential that active people can create from a ground-swell of partisanship. I don't count; I'm older and sedintary and disillusioned.

Portland is still a small city, but has a lot of amenities of far bigger urban centers. It has it's faults and issues (Jaybo will likely inform), but the quality of life and values are a fair trade off IMHO. And you would be halfway between Blackrock and Post Canyon.
    What Snake said about jobs, etc. I've had to consider moving, but have resisted and recently got lucky, though my last couple jobs have involved some driving I'd rather not do...

I don't count; I'm older and sedintary and disillusioned.
    I like that line, can I steal it Charlie?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    I like that line, can I steal it Charlie?
    'Flaps, you're not entirely sedentary.

Yet.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

i drink shower water
    ok maybe i will look in to portland. thanks guys, keep the info coming.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    ok maybe i will look in to portland. thanks guys, keep the info coming.
    If mountain biking is truly your passion either don't move to Portland or be prepared for a drive every time you want to go. There is undoubtedly great riding within an hour or so, but if you're used to riding to a trail or driving 20 minutes, you're not going to find that here.

IMO, if you can swing the cost of living in Hood River it seems like a great place to be. Those Eugene guys are a great group too but I think finding a J-O-B can be difficult in both Eugene and Hood River.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    What about Ashland? Small town with a lot going on. The winters are warmer there, and there is great riding there. Someone with more knowledge about the area than me - any thoughts?
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

i drink shower water
    Well where i live currently we have killer DH trails 7 minutes from my house and even better ones 25 minutes away. Im not delusional, i know that where i live now and the proximity to the trails is rare but id rather not have to drive 90 minutes to shred my bike. Ill keep looking around the oregon area.

Thanks again for the info and keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    tons of riding here in southern oregon. ashland is really expensive place to live. but it's only 15 minutes form medford. i live in Central Point. I ride a lot in ashland, talent, Jacksonville, grants pass, applegate, all within 1 hour drive. Most within 1/2 hour. Killer down hill rideing and a lot of cross country too. I dont do it but there is a lot of freeride also. So dont rule out the medford area for sure. Come check it out, ill be glad to show you around.

i drink shower water
    I will be coming out in March with my buddy. if you dont mind PMing me some contact info i would to have you show us around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sure if your coming to the medford area, hit me up. ill pm my email to ya

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

White Salmon/ Hood area is so much less stressful than PDX

That's why Portland should be considered.

But good luck finding a job. I can ride from my office to Syncline, Hospital Hill, Nester Peak, etc. Awesome! PDX is a nice enough city. It is very pretty in places; particularly in the West Hills.

Jaybo

Metalheadbikerider

Unless you don't stop for....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    But good luck finding a job. I can ride from my office to Syncline, Hospital Hill, Nester Peak, etc. Awesome! PDX is a nice enough city. It is very pretty in places; particularly in the West Hills.

Jaybo
    pedestrians in HR...
    Always let the pedestrians cross the street while driving in HR, something we learned REAL quick on our road trip out here during college.
    All things considered, I think Portland is the best "larger" city in the country.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hood River's cool "But good luck finding a job." You better bring either a trust fund or a job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How is the Upqua river area? Is it a cool place to ride and if so what location do I start my ride and is the camping good and safe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    If mountain biking is truly your passion either don't move to Portland or be prepared for a drive every time you want to go. There is undoubtedly great riding within an hour or so, but if you're used to riding to a trail or driving 20 minutes, you're not going to find that here.

IMO, if you can swing the cost of living in Hood River it seems like a great place to be. Those Eugene guys are a great group too but I think finding a J-O-B can be difficult in both Eugene and Hood River.

Currently, Portland is not the best option for you for FR/DH, as you will have to drive about 90+ min to get to the real great areas to ride (Blackrock in Corvallis, PostCanyon in Hood River). BUT, here is some up and coming riding areas to the west of the city that are in progress, and not far. There are 11k+ acres of Tillamook State Forest (30-40 min from Portland) available for a massive FR/DH/XC trail system that Westside Trail Federation is beginning development on. They are also working on LL STUB State Park (30 min from Portland) and developing FR trails there as well.
    The future of DH/FR in Portland, and Oregon in general is very bright.

links to Portland area clubs:

http://westsidetrailfederation.org/ (these guys are the one building up the new trails)

http://www.westsidefreeride.com/

BTW- check out some of the riding locations in Washington, as they are a little more developed and DH/FR friendly than what is currently in Oregon - plus you are even closer to the sacred lands north of the border

Shread Ready
    This thread has great info. I'm also debating on moving and was thinking about Bend. I'm sure it would make for some epic riding.

banned
    Mar 2008
    Oregon sucks, I am moving to Arizona to get away from the crap weather and lack of downhill/freeriding in this damn state. My advice, pick another state!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtGash
    Oregon sucks, I am moving to Arizona to get away from the crap weather and lack of downhill/freeriding in this damn state. My advice, pick another state!
    Have fun in AZ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ya, you should go to AZ. OR dose suck, not enough mountains and lakes and the cycling sucks