mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Columbia Gorge Fat Tire Festival

Anyone have any information, I can't find a web site for it. Apparently it is happening April 14-15 in The Dalles.

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about the festival and was not aware of any trails around The Dalles, but came across these clips and a Facebook page. When driving through The Dalles, I've always thought the surrounding area would be really nice to ride through. The ST in these clips look pretty good.

Eagle Caves Trail

Eagle Caves Lower Trail

Facebook Page
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I agree, I used to commute to The Dalles from HR for work regularly and always thought the area had a lot of potential, especially for winter riding. I just figured that either there was just not enough local interest and/or there was a lack of public land to have legitimate trails. Or, maybe it's all the goat heads, poison oak, and rattlesnakes.

Regardless, its nice to hear of some renewed interest in mountain biking there. It was before my time, but I know that they used to have XC races in Sorosis Park years ago.

mtbr member
    I've ridden Eagle Caves for years & it's a fun area. There are really 3 "levels" to ride & we've built a few connectors over the years that allow you to hook them together to get a reasonable amount of riding in without backtracking too much.
    Park at the old Middle School, the big green bldg, & head west on the trail behind it to get on the lower section. Within a couple hundred feet there's a Y with the right side continuing on the lower section & the left going into a widow maker hill climb that will take you to the middle level or on up to the top as shown at the start of the first video OHM linked to.
    You can ride all over the top up there & there is an official trailhead up there somewhere that's accessible via Cherry Heights Road through The Dalles by turning south at the Fred Meyer intersection but we've always avoided all that town stuff by using the Middle School.
    Be aware there is some poison oak in spots & this is tick heaven, but still worth it & one of the driest places to ride this time of year.

What day are we riding?
    Ahhh, tick heaven. You make it sound so apealing.

mtbr member
    They're mostly dormant this time of year, mostly. : )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Registration is available on the OBRA website now, still no link an event website though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Columbia Gorge Fat Tire Festival Webiste to Launch on Friday

Skinny on Gorge Fat Tire Festival. Brand new event April 14-15th that is being put on by Breakaway Promotions who organized and ran last year's Sun Valley Fat Tire Festival / Mt. Bike Nationals as well as Mt. Bike Marathon Nationals in Bend.

Local crew has put in a ton of work this past fall and through the winter cutting and spraying poison oak, wacking back brush, and establishing a new upper bench trail. Launching Friday new website. It is going to be big!

shut up legs
    kewl
    ---->Fat Bike Fenders & More
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa El Mariachi | Salsa Spearfish
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like it's here Columbia Gorge Fat Tire Festival in case they don't come back. Looks like a fun couple days. Will go for Sunday for sure and probably Saturday depending on lodging arrangements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep we are announcing our website tomorrow. TigerHijinks just beat us to the punch. Registration is open and we are getting things ready for one fun weekend in the Gorge. Hope to see all of you out there in April!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    I've ridden Eagle Caves for years & it's a fun area. There are really 3 "levels" to ride & we've built a few connectors over the years that allow you to hook them together to get a reasonable amount of riding in without backtracking too much.
    Park at the old Middle School, the big green bldg, & head west on the trail behind it to get on the lower section. Within a couple hundred feet there's a Y with the right side continuing on the lower section & the left going into a widow maker hill climb that will take you to the middle level or on up to the top as shown at the start of the first video OHM linked to.
    You can ride all over the top up there & there is an official trailhead up there somewhere that's accessible via Cherry Heights Road through The Dalles by turning south at the Fred Meyer intersection but we've always avoided all that town stuff by using the Middle School.
    Be aware there is some poison oak in spots & this is tick heaven, but still worth it & one of the driest places to ride this time of year.
    I'm not a racer so the festival isn't for me but it's great that we are getting more organized rides in oregon.

i am interested in riding new trails, are there any maps of the trails online anywhere?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You can find maps of the trails on the same site as the race. Either that or type in Eagle Caves Trail System on Facebook as it has its own page as well. Weekend is going to have a night ride, bike demos, prize drawings, and vendors on site so even if you don't race still some fun non competitive activities. Either way I hope you get a chance to enjoy the trails!

What day are we riding?
    Am I missing it? I did not see any course length info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Info is under Stage and Map on the gorgefattire.com website. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakawayPromo View Post
    Yep we are announcing our website tomorrow. TigerHijinks just beat us to the punch. Registration is open and we are getting things ready for one fun weekend in the Gorge. Hope to see all of you out there in April!!!
    Hey sorry about that. I'm just really excited, this will be my first season racing MTB and you guys are one of the closer races that I can get to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Disappointing news on this race, looks to have been cancelled. Details on their website. Columbia Gorge Fat Tire Festival

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm sure Breakaway lost some money on this deal. Wow!