Thread: Coast riding...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coast riding...

Hi folks,

Sorry for not scouring the threads, but we're heading out camping on Thursday for the Coast and I'm wondering what sort of riding we could find?

Newport, Florence, and then down at Gold Beach for 3 days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for an XC type of guy and son.

Cheers,

Mike.....mmmm, microbrews, here I come!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Some riding near Newport, check with Newport Bike shop. Between Waldport and Florence is Cape Perpetua. Some fun riding there.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There are a couple places near Florence. Cape Perpetua, as mentioned, but I've found it difficult to scope out all the trails. Anyone got gps mapping? The stuff I have found makes for a shortish ride, but there are some "hidden" trails that I haven't bumped into. The Newport bike shop should be helpful. If you're in Newport for the shop's weekly ride, you could go out with them. They sometimes ride on private property.

There are also the "horse trails" about 10 miles north of Florence, near Cape Perpetua. I've ridden them, and they are about the best classic xc trails I've found on this part of the coast. The bike shop in Florence has a map and driving details on their website. I think you could put in 18 miles or so there. I don't know how rain and wet weather affect those trails becuase I've only ridden in summer. Just south of Florence is the SiltCoos lake loop. I just rode it a week ago and was fine then. It's only a four mile loop, but it's fun. Ride it a couple times one way, then a couple times the other direction. It will seem like a different trail.

As you head south, the options diminish some. There is a lake at Tugman State Park near Lakeside that you can ride around, about a 5 mile out and back. Easy riding, but beautiful. Last I heard, there were some trees down, but should be cleared by now. Again, think of this more as a leisure ride.

There are some rough and techy trails off 101 between Coos Bay and Bandon called the Winchester Trails. I ride them a few times per week, but I wouldn't consider them particularly recommend worthy to those used to great trails. They are a network of trails running back and forth a logging road. They are shared use, and rutted up by motorcycles and four-wheelers. Serious roots and rough riding. Kind of confusing to navigate the first time. Moe's bike shop in North Bend can give you a map and get you there. I enjoy riding them, but I know my way around them. There's lots of duff, sticks, crap on the trail that kills a rear der. or spokes. I've trail proofed my bike for the conditions. That's why I don't make the trails an easy recommend.

The Blue Ridge Trail system outside Coos Bay is cool, but it's closed for riding until further notice, so don't waste the time driving up there.

Lastly, I've heard rumors of some decent trails outside Gold Beach, about 20 miles in the direction of Agness. Directions seemed a little confusing, and I have no idea how they'd ride this time of year. I found the information on the web somewhere, but haven't bothered to make the trek. Since you'll be in Gold Beach, might be worth looking for.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

lower rogue river trail

Probably thinking of the lower rogue river trail east of Gold Beach. I wish I had a link or a map to show you but I forget how we found it. It wasn't in super shape for riding last summer but we rode as far as we could and turned around - it made a decent ride on fairly techy singletrack. Beautiful views and area generally speaking.
    Hayduke holds his foaming can of beer in one hand, the other five cans-bound together by a plastic collar- in the other hand. What to do? In order to function he must put down the beer. But in order to function he has to drink the beer. A cruel bind.