Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Keep Singletrack Single

Chipmunks & Ground Squirrels

Our funny little friends along the trail.... I am always amazed at their speed. Although occasionally one or a few get turned into pancakes from IHOP! So sad to see the flat carcasses on the trail.... I have even crashed to avoid the poor bastards!! Always thought it would be funny to start a thread about our little furry friends!! I am sure everyone has their own stories to share on this topic....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    I never saw it but apparently I killed one on Alpine a couple years ago, it must have jumped out between the front and rear wheel, a friend who was following me told me it was pretty messed up.

it means 'no problem'
    Me and two buddies riding fast down the black rock trail and the first guy hits Mr. Munk. poor Munk is flailing around (crushed spine) and I ride past. Last guy in our group stops. We all confer and he decides it's best to go back and put the little mammal out of misery.

What's he do? You guessed it. Goes back and rolls right over little Munk's head. Fuxakes! I nearly puked at the thought and didn't see the deed. ugh. Unnatural Selection.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Out on Phil's last week a little guy scrambled right across my path. I thought I felt a little thump from under the rear tire but I was too chicken to stop and look.

Heading across Tetherow a chipmunk came running from all the way across the street, maybe 20 feet away, on a collision course. I thought to myself, "No way he'll keep coming. He must see me." Sure enough it ended up with both of us screaming and with me locking up my brakes trying not to go over the bars. You would've laughed at the sight.

Afric Pepperbird
    How ironic. I have always wondered in amazement how I never have hit one with my car. Then, on wednesday, on my drive up to Skyliner's Trailhead, one froze in the road, and I flattened the little bugger. My first big kill! (well, other than the jack rabbit I nailed in the desolate sage flats of eastern Nevada).

Let's roll.
    I hadn't hit one until two weekends ago. Was driving the fam out to Dillon Falls and a little bugger came zipping onto the road, right under my tires. My rear view mirror confirmed the kill.

Apparently they were drinking some Chipmunk kool-aid because another one did exactly the same thing on the way back to Century.

Anyone know a good taxidermist?

EDIT: Found one: http://thesquirrelshole.com/custom_squirrels.html
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No chipmunks and ground squirrels in the tillamook. Instead we have mountain beavers, which build enormous gapping holes in the trail to trap unsuspecting mountain bikers and hikers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallAirAndy
    I hadn't hit one until two weekends ago. Was driving the fam out to Dillon Falls and a little bugger came zipping onto the road, right under my tires. My rear view mirror confirmed the kill.

Apparently they were drinking some Chipmunk kool-aid because another one did exactly the same thing on the way back to Century.

Anyone know a good taxidermist?

EDIT: Found one: http://thesquirrelshole.com/custom_squirrels.html
    Quite possibly the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!!!! Seriously... squirrel taxidermy...
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've never hit one on my bike...hit quite a few with my car. However, my dog LOVES to chase them when she's on the trails with me. She could be dragging, but if she sees a chipmunk...it's on! She's never actually grabbed one, though I'm sure she could have gotten a few.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    chipmunks are dog crack. I've seen em' turn mans best friend into a fiend, first try...
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by strader
    No chipmunks and ground squirrels in the tillamook. Instead we have mountain beavers, which build enormous gapping holes in the trail to trap unsuspecting mountain bikers and hikers.
    I want to hug that thing. He cuuuuuuute.

Always Searching

Fury Friends

Picture worth a look....................
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    winner
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by _SYNAPSE_
    Picture worth a look....................
    Priceless!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I want to hug that thing. He cuuuuuuute.
    YOu won't say that when you're trapped in his den, being eaten alive!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by strader
    YOu won't say that when you're trapped in his den, being eaten alive!
    Haw haw! Sounds like something out a movie.

Singletrack Addict
    May 2009
    ignore - replied to wrong one...

Singletrack Addict
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Out on Phil's last week a little guy scrambled right across my path. I thought I felt a little thump from under the rear tire but I was too chicken to stop and look.
    I think I can confirm your kill on Phil's. I was up there on Friday with my son and heard him say, "What's that thing all covered in flies?" Gross.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Great responses!! That photo is hilarious!! I almost ran over one this morning. He just FROZE in the middle of the trail, quivering..... I rode right around him....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Squirrelcutter! I know whose bike that is.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Have all the predatory birds disappeared this year or something?

DOD Member
    Can't top the picture, and it wasn't on my mtb...But on the multi use bike path in Eugene along the river, I ran over a baby nutria that darted out from the grassy edge. I didn't have any time to react at all. Anyway, there is an elderly couple strolling along on a beautiful day, enjoying the sights and sounds of nature, until I came along. I heard her shrieking hysterically till I was out of earshot. No, I didn't even slow down. So much for bike advocacy. We are all heartless murderers in her mind.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Slugs! darn things get their revenge by sticking to your tires like glue, every rotation of the wheel just adds gunk to the carnage.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    The guy whose picture that is actually now uses Squirrelcutter as a login on several biking forums.

mtbr member

Squirrel Crasher

Saw this story this morning on the Today Show about the squirrel that hijacked the vacation photo http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32444890?GT1=43001

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast