Afric Pepperbird

Is Charlton-Lemish open?

It's been a few years since I rode this one. Does anyone have a status report? I imagine the snow may be just about gone, but I don't think it gets cleared on a regular basis.

I remember liking it lots. Is there a planned date to clear this out? A work party, or something similar? I think it would make a good overnight camping/clearing party (assuming lots of Off or DEET is brought).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    .... (assuming lots of Off or DEET is brought).
    Yeah, like in a five gallon bucket...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

it means 'no problem'
    We had planned to clear it this week but alas the stars did not align. Now that the Forest Service has stepped to IFPL II (meaning chainsaws must be shut down at 1:00pm) the idea to camp there makes lots of sense.

I would assume lots of logs down on the whole loop but especially heavy in the lodgepole beetle-kill zones. The COTA website would show whether it's been cleared or not, especially if one checks the worklog. Sorry.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Any idea when the stars may align?

Thanks

it means 'no problem'
    Looking at next week for Lem/Char, but Saturday we are clearing Round & Lookout in the Ochocos. Wanna join the fun? pm me.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    I work on all the good workday parties. I, sadly, have Tues-Wed off. (but the traffic is very, very light on those days!) I'll keep you guys in mind for the next weekday work party.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I am going to find out the scoop on Charlton-Lemish today.I have Mon-Wed off and I am a beginner yet certified Class A bucker and have all the neccesssary equipment. I would like to go out to clear the trail with at least one other person who is good with chainsaw. I am not into camping but I am good at getting up at the crack of dawn. Perhaps we can make something happen.

Erika

Afric Pepperbird
    I have never even held a chainsaw, but I can go wednesday. I have heard that chainsaws are now not allowed in the NF (as of July 7th), due to fire hazard.

Let me know your plans, maybe I can help.

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    I have never even held a chainsaw, but I can go wednesday. I have heard that chainsaws are now not allowed in the NF (as of July 7th), due to fire hazard.

Let me know your plans, maybe I can help.

The Chainsaw restriction is from 1:00pm on. See the FS rules for IFPL II here

I'd love to go along but the only day I have available is Thursday. Sorry.

mtbr member
    I would be willing to go on wednesday if there could be someone else who knows how to deal with a chainsaw. I do not have enough experience to deal with the myriad of problems that can happen with a chainsaw and complex bucking situations. We could get out there and have the chainsaw break down and then we're done for the day. If we could find someone else with experience... We have until 1:00 now but usually it is only a few weeks until there is a total ban on chainsaws.

Erika

mtbr member
    There is a workparty goin out to clear Charlton-Lemish Wednesday. We are meeting in town at 7:00 or in sunriver at 7:30. We have trained chainsaw people and need swampers (the people that physicalling move the cut wood off the trail). The sawing has to stop at 1:00 so we'll be done by 2:00ish and back in town around 3:00ish. Disclaimer: there will be tons of mosquitos! Anyone interested?

Erika

Afric Pepperbird
    As much as I want to help, and as much as I want to ride there, I may not make it. I am completely drained after today's ride (headache, body aches, etc.). 7:00am is a bit early for me.

But, if I recovery quickly, where will you be meeting?

mtbr member
    We are meeting at the Sunriver Business Park across the street from grand entrance to sunriver athe gas station.

Afric Pepperbird
    I guess I had not ridden this before (I wonder which trail I was thinking of??). I just got back from there today, and it is thoroughly engaging! I rode clockwise (recommended) and boy, is this a nice trail. Lots of roots, rocks, and short little climbs and descents; and also a couple of gonzo, hike-a-bike descents. It reminds me of the M/W trail up near Flagline. Charlton Lake is the most beautiful Cascade Lake I've seen, and I've seen quite a few.

If this trail were off of Skyliner Road, it would be a Bend classic.

Thanks to eschmid and all who helped clear it.

mtbr member

another ride worth checking out....

Go check this out if you get a chance, its nice primitive trail with some great views and nice swimming lake. You can find the trails and access points on the Treadmap for Oakridge/Waldo. Its the next loop south of Charlton Lemish. Climbing up over the Twins is a kicker, awesome view from the top, Moore Creek is real primitive, Bobby Lake is too good to pass up for a swim. I'd ride it clockwise.

Just got this update from DOD'er Allen de Buhr

"Chris, the Trail 99 between Moore Creek and the Twins is clear except for several big trees that my saw was to small for and did not have time to do. Half of those have routes around them but are not easy to see. I left on log at the East end of Trail 99 because motor cycles where out there so I left it to discourage them. Other wise all the up hills and down hills are clear."

I'm not sure on conditions on The Twins...anyone....

Canuck
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SeenYour Crash
    Go check this out if you get a chance, its nice primitive trail with some great views and nice swimming lake. You can find the trails and access points on the Treadmap for Oakridge/Waldo. Its the next loop south of Charlton Lemish. Climbing up over the Twins is a kicker, awesome view from the top, Moore Creek is real primitive, Bobby Lake is too good to pass up for a swim. I'd ride it clockwise.

I'm not sure on conditions on The Twins...anyone....
    Just got back from Lemish/Charlton/EastWaldo/Twins loop. Everything is in awesome shape, with just a few snow patches on North slope of Twins descent. Skeeters are bad in places, but almost non-existant in others. Had lunch at Betty Lake with no bugs lakeside. But at my usual stopping point at top of the Twins descent where you come out of the trees, I got swarmed and had to keep moving. This caused me to stop ~2 miles down the trail where it flattens a bit after the descent, where I found an awesome rocky crag overlooking Found Lake, with amazing views.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtSnake
    Just got back from Lemish/Charlton/EastWaldo/Twins loop. Everything is in awesome shape, with just a few snow patches on North slope of Twins descent. Skeeters are bad in places, but almost non-existant in others. Had lunch at Betty Lake with no bugs lakeside. But at my usual stopping point at top of the Twins descent where you come out of the trees, I got swarmed and had to keep moving. This caused me to stop ~2 miles down the trail where it flattens a bit after the descent, where I found an awesome rocky crag overlooking Found Lake, with amazing views.
    Hey DirtSnake, what's the distance of this loop? Charlton-Lemmish is such a beautiful loop and the east Waldo section is fast and fun. Have not yet been on the Twins trail, but putting them all together sounds like a great day of riding.
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

Canuck
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kook91
    Hey DirtSnake, what's the distance of this loop? Charlton-Lemmish is such a beautiful loop and the east Waldo section is fast and fun. Have not yet been on the Twins trail, but putting them all together sounds like a great day of riding.
    Parking at Little Cultus Lk boat launch, my computer showed 32.8 miles, with 3500 vf of climbing (didn't seem that much). Loop took 4 hours travelling solo. When you finish the climb up the backside of the Twins, it's 11.5 miles downhill to the car, of which the first few miles is all high-speed woo-hoo kind of stuff.

Note you don't actually go to the top of the Twins, as the bike trail veers right at a Y before the top. While you can go left/straight to hit the summit (I've done it before), be prepared for steep loose scree climbing/descending if you go that route.

Have fun ! - I'm off to Upstate NY for a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Heading up tomorrow to do the Twins, M/W, Moore Creek loop. Guessing the mileage is ~20 or so?

Would like to do some camping (preferably dispersed but open to a campsite) thur and maybe fri night, any recommendations? Would like to be able to leave the 5 gallon buckets of deet at home...
    NW MTB Addict

Afric Pepperbird
    There are really nice dispersed sites around Charlton Lake. And it's only a very short walk to the lake from the parking area.

It's a gorgeous lake.