mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Chainbreaker Trail Conditions / Bike Setup

Anybody racing Chainbreaker this wknd? Ive heard it's dusty and will likely be warm. Any input?

Also, what tire setup are guys thinking of running? I typically use Continental tires, thinking of Race Kings F/R or possibly X-King F/Race King Rear. I know its 'dry' but it's also pretty loose and sandy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm not racing, but have been riding it quite a bit lately. Yes, expect lots of dust and warm (for Bend, but not AZ). My Nevegal 2.35 front & Sm Block Eight 2.1 rear have worked well out there.....as long as your pedal stroke is smooth!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by epicmtb View Post
    I'm not racing, but have been riding it quite a bit lately. Yes, expect lots of dust and warm (for Bend, but not AZ). My Nevegal 2.35 front & Sm Block Eight 2.1 rear have worked well out there.....as long as your pedal stroke is smooth!
    I've always been perplexed with the trail conditions in Bend and tires selection. Its 'Dry' but also very loose and sandy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dude, got any schwag?
    The entire region is volcanic ash, so once it dries up it turns to sandy, dusty talcum powder. Small knobs like a SB8, Ikon, or X-king (my choice) are the best.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am going to wear a mask at the start to avoid sucking in the dust. I am looking forward to it but it is going to be a hot, dusty bugger. If you are fast enough to hold off the Cat II guys you might considering going Cat 1 to avoid the inevitable dust blown up by the larger cat. I am going to run Rocket Ron up front and a Ikkon in the back and see how that goes....

mtbr member
    While the dust control won't last long, last nights 6pm storm is not going to hurt the dust problem. This was no sprinkle. Hail and BIG rain drops. lasted 30min easy. Soaked in nicely enough that mud was on my tires. This is right at the races start/finish.Chainbreaker Trail Conditions / Bike Setup-cbpreridedump.jpg
    Bend, Oregon

Get to dah choppah
    I've been out there twice in the last two weeks.

The "hot" setup will be a dust mask and goggles.

It will be dusty to the point that you won't be able to see adequately to judge your ability to pass in the single track sections. IMO a fast tire that lets you accelerate quickly on the wider / double tracks will be an advantage. I used IKONs front and rear and that was a very good choice IMO. Something with less knob than that could get sketchey. Anything larger / heavier is unnecessary.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    we rode it with a group of 5 and it was horrible... I followed behind 3 and it was to the point I had to watch his shoulders just to see if he was hitting any big rocks... lots of random large rocks, that are loose. really a strange course. I wanted to race but, I cannot imagine 300 riders on that course. def need goggles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just rode it tonight. I think it's riding really well, actually. Sure it's gonna get dusty but it won't be any worse than the Thrilla races. At least in Cat 1 it will take us a lap and a half to hit traffic.

Have fun everyone.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I should have ridden Cat 1 to avoid the masses of Cat 2 riders. It was super dusty and hot but fairly fun. I did enjoy the Coast Hills Classic more as it is tough to beat the west side trails on a warm day. Much better dirt.

mtbr member
    I thought the conditions looked JUST fine. I did not race, but just observing, dust looked pretty normal and not out of hand.

That said, pretty cool environment I'll be hitting up some XC races for sure!
    Bend, Oregon

Dude, got any schwag?
    I raced it, (more chased) and absolutely loved the course. I was afraid of severe moon dust, but that was not the case. Now I just need a better motor...
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It was dusty but not horrible. I think the heat was worse - the 3rd lap sucked! Still a fun day.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySTi View Post
    It was dusty but not horrible. I think the heat was worse - the 3rd lap sucked! Still a fun day.
    Andy,

Did you ride a Singular HT? Also, I should have ridden Cat 1 to avoid the herd of Cat II guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a Singular Swift but I race my Orbea Alma. There was a guy out there with one though - we bonded.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Funny! That guy told me his Singular beat him silly but he was smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySTi View Post
    I have a Singular Swift but I race my Orbea Alma. There was a guy out there with one though - we bonded.