Thread: Cave Junction

mtbr member

New question here. Cave Junction

I have some good friends in cave junction, and i'm wondering about eventually relocating there. i've never had much $$ and care much more about quality of life, so i'm not looking at employment specifically, more along the lines of mountain biking and outdoor opportunities. a friend's mom has a treehouse B&B, some employment possibilities there as well as fire/BLM/ Forest Service work maybe, which i have done in the past....

so what's CJ like? it's been a while since i've been down that way, lived in eugene for 8 yrs. and not really interested in doing that again...ptown is too big...dexter, lowell, oakridge i'm really interested in but i know more folks down south.

at any rate, i would love to hear any feedback for an independant funhog girl who might want to relocate to where the dirt is dirt. Cave Junction...Where Deliverance Meets The Grateful Dead...discuss.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hear people wanting to re-locate to Bend, Ashland, the coast, and Eugene but never Cave Junction. I think your last line sums it up pretty good - "Cave Junction...Where Deliverance Meets The Grateful Dead..."

Cave Junction is not my style, but the appeal of "leave me alone and let me do my thing" apeals to many people. If you have friends there, that may help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    heh.. yep, tweekers, rednecks, and hippies. But, if you are going to live in the woods anyway.. whatever. Stay a little closer to Grants Pass and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    interesting...thanks for your responses. i love idaho and i'm not planning to move anytime soon, just curious about CJ.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Making fat cool since '71
    It's an area of extremes: way out there old skool hippies, militant survivalists (clan like idiots), walking dead (tweakers way past gone), grow operations, down-home country folk, wanna-be-hippies.

It's beautiful. Areas like Obrien and Selmac (or whatever it's called) are wastelands and can truly be unsafe from time to time. Land is cheap (for western OR) but there are no jobs.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

Hope

"Cave Junction...Where Deliverance Meets The Grateful Dead..."

That about sums it up. Although, these days, mix in a little Johnny Paycheck, Enya and maybe Yo Yo Ma, and you have the musical more nailed down.

There are parts of the area that provide a beautiful countryside ride. Others where your riding skills would be really tested. And there are a few areas where I wouldn't go without a Marine rifle squad (luckily few and far between).

If you like it wild and wooly, then you'll enjoy the Cave Junction/Illinois River Valley part of the county. If you want someplace more protected, you want the Grants Pass area. That in part is because currently there is no law enforcement available for up to 12 hours per day (thanks to staffing shortages), except in Grants Pass. Also, outside of the Grants Pass or Cave Junction city limits, the fire protection is (for all practical purposes) non-existent.
    Seen on a bumper sticker
    Fight terrorism. Ride a bike.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Everything people have said in this thread about CJ seems spot on... But, you may like to know that there are some guys out there (met them once) who have a really intense trail system built around their house.

I haven't ridden there yet, but everyone who I know that has describes it as the smoothest, best built slopestyle/freeride trail you could imagine! Also there's a few guys in Grants Pass pushing the freeride scene, so there is riding out there you may like. Check my link at the bottom for info on stuff in the Rogue Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    nice site uncle cliffy...i'm very interested in checking out some of the terrain you speak of. wanna hire me to drive your shuttle bus? just kidding, i probably couldn't reach the pedals.

i'll be in the illinois river valley in march, then might head down to see friends in arcata if i have time. really i just want to go spend a week in ashland riding my bike...or oakridge...but i guess i'll be social. i hope things aren't too soggy, but your soil drains so much better than ours i'm guessing i'll be ok.

have a great holiday everyone! thanks from the bottom of my heart for providing me with drool-worthy ride reports and pics of that enchanted oregon forest i miss and love so well.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Making fat cool since '71

OROR in March?

Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    i'll be in the illinois river valley in march, then might head down to see friends in arcata if i have time. really i just want to go spend a week in ashland riding my bike...or oakridge...but i guess i'll be social. i hope things aren't too soggy, but your soil drains so much better than ours i'm guessing i'll be ok.
    Soggy isn't the problem in the OakieZone in March. Snow is the problem in March. Most/Many of the goods are fully or partially under snow at that time. The best riding is the high country stuff and it's under snow. The second best stuff is lower and soggy unless we get lucky and have a couple of dry weeks (which could happen). Anyway, if you are going to be around Oakridge in the spring give the Disciples of Dirt a shout (link in my sig) and we can show you what's available in the area; weather/conditions will dictate what's rideable of course.

Happy Festivus to all and may your days and dreams be filled with tight and technical sweet OR singletrack. Feats of strength all around!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    i will definitely try to join you DOD'ers for a ride while there, you all look like fun folks to ride with.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNgirl
    nice site uncle cliffy...i'm very interested in checking out some of the terrain you speak of. wanna hire me to drive your shuttle bus? just kidding, i probably couldn't reach the pedals.
    Don't give me credit for the site, I'm just a member... Mike Bronze is the man with the plan. He's a local rider living near Talant/Ashland. As for the driver, well it's a hard slot to fill considering everyone wants to ride their bike...

The snow level is our enemy at this point as far as riding goes currently. I haven't ridden for 2 weeks due to the season. (Work for UPS) Hopefully I'll be pedaling again soon.

mtbr member

UPS rider?

Uncle Cliffy.

I'm a UPS driver over here on the coast (Florence). Do you work out Medford or Roseburg?
    If your ever over this way bring your bike and we'll give you a tour of the local trails.

Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Don't give me credit for the site, I'm just a member... Mike Bronze is the man with the plan. He's a local rider living near Talant/Ashland. As for the driver, well it's a hard slot to fill considering everyone wants to ride their bike...

The snow level is our enemy at this point as far as riding goes currently. I haven't ridden for 2 weeks due to the season. (Work for UPS) Hopefully I'll be pedaling again soon.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    ...The snow level is our enemy at this point as far as riding goes currently. I haven't ridden for 2 weeks due to the season. (Work for UPS) Hopefully I'll be pedaling again soon.
    Don't remind me of season. I have four more nights of it. But Monday, I get to shut down the shop at about 8 pm, if all goes right.

Cliffy: Are you one of the drivers making the pickups from the big outfit on South Pac? (exit north on Anton, right on Garfield, etc). If so, we may have passed each other.
    Seen on a bumper sticker
    Fight terrorism. Ride a bike.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Uncle Cliffy.

I'm a UPS driver over here on the coast (Florence). Do you work out Medford or Roseburg?
    If your ever over this way bring your bike and we'll give you a tour of the local trails.

Jolly
    Wow. Sounds Cool. I work out of the Medford center. Been delivery for 6 whole months now! First peak as delivery, did 278 stops yesterday...

Pompilot; I used to do a pickup from Harry & David in the bigger size box truck (masher) for about a year. I went to a different job title last June...