mtbr member

Car Stolen at MRT

Hey Guys.

My car was stolen from the top at McKenzie river trail parking lot.

2 buddies of mine from out of town wanted to hit MRT (one was from san deigo cali, and the other from san juan island, wa.) and we still went ahead regardless of the rain. It was awesome and we were covered in mud by the end and they had a great time. They loved the trail and didn't realize how difficult it was. I've done it like 6-8 times so I know it pretty well.

We shuttled and my buddy parked his truck at the bottom and I parked my car at the top. We were on our way back and I was confused for a sec only to realized that my car was gone with broken glasses on the ground. As you can tell, I was not happy at all. So I attached pics of my car. It could be anywhere by now, but the police said that most of the time the thieves take it out into the woods somewhere nearby or to lane community college. (guess I was not the first one to get the car stolen from MRT) If you happen to be in the area and you guys spot it anywhere let the police know.

I had some bike gears, wallet, some dry clothes, hearing aids (I'm deaf) I just bought it and it was expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Car:

2000 Subaru outback - White
    License plate: 370 CLV
    2 faded green bike roof rack
    white excursion ski box (like packsport) with skjersass sticker on both sides and drink water
    I have the I love oregon with mountain sticker on the right corner of the rear glass

I hope that it will turn up somewhere unscratched and nothing taken.

P.S. they can go #@($ themselves. (sorry for the language)

This was on the way to the MRT
    Car Stolen at MRT-20140518_113526.jpg
    2009 Gaint Trance x2

mtbr member
    This was the most recent photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Stolen at MRT-20140517_090647.jpg  

2009 Gaint Trance x2

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I'm really sorry that happened. I hope it gets found and/or the insurance company treats you right. Don't be afraid to ask for a bit more than their first offer, they WILL low ball you by $500 or so.

On a related note: Whenever I am pedaling back to where I am parked, there is always a moment of nervousness until I see that my car is where I left it and unharmed. This is especially true at trailheads that are known for long rides. Criminals have figured out easy targets that often have valuables inside and won't be noticed for hours. I'm not really sure what can be done about it. The dog in your second picture looks like he would much rather run with you than guard the car.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately when thieves ares determined nothing will stop them. I predominantly drive my "sh#tbox" (21 year old truck with 360k on it) to trailheads because it has NOTHING that anyone would want out of it and I leave my dog in the truck as well. Its not fool proof but it helps.. Really sorry about your loss, hopefully it shows up soon!

mtbr member
    sknsnw9 - sorry dude! I hate thieves too....

I'll keep my eyes peeled....
    jjMarS

mtbr member
    Damn, that sucks, sorry to hear. F'n thieves. Hope you get it back. Driving a high value target (van), I am worried about that but never thought it would be an issue in Oregon. I'm heading up there or to the NUT this weekend, maybe will head to the NUT and will definitely be buying THE CLUB. Low tech but hopefully enough of a deterrent...

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. Hopefully the yeti monster (aka bad karma) goes after those stupid thieves.

Btw, the dog is deaf and would much rather chase us on our bikes than stand guard too.
    2009 Gaint Trance x2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll keep my eyes open. I live in Eugene.

I didn't do it
    Hate to hear that OP, I always have a moment of nervousness when I approach the parking lot after a long ride.

My best deterrent is to keep no valuables whatsoever in the car. The wallet and phone comes with me, every time, no exceptions. Then I open all gear bags plus the center console so that the meth heads can see that there's nothing in the car for them to steal. I have a crappy factory stereo as well. Clubs, etc really don't help since any thief can defeat those in a matter of seconds.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good advice Mookie, and I follow pretty much the same routine. Leave nothing of value in the car if I can help it or at least get it out of sight.

Had a guy I know get his truck broken into at a trailhead last Saturday. Typical smash and grab. Seems like stealing the whole car is on a bit higher level, and hopefully more rare.

Glad I drive a car I really don't care about.

mtbr member
    Someone found my car last Monday and reported it. It was only 10 miles from upper parking of MRT west towards Eugene on some dead end forest road. They really made a mess in the car looking through everything that you can take apart. Damaged the dash board taking out the Alpine stereo. 2 things that I'm happy about; got my car back and it runs just fine and they left the bike racks and ski box. I didn't have insurance to cover the car or car accessories.

They took everything that was in the car beside few things.

The battery was completely dead since the doors was open for 8 days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175533.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175544.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175556.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175618.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175630.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175649.jpg  

Car Stolen at MRT-20140526_175856.jpg  

2009 Gaint Trance x2

mtbr member
    Mookie, That's a good advice! Thanks, I definitely will do that next time!
    2009 Gaint Trance x2

I didn't do it
    Dude, I'm sure that's bittersweet. Glad you got the car back but that's still frustrating. Ride on man.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    SCUM of the earth... I really wish unpleasantries for any thieves.... Ugg
    Glad you have your wheels back!

Make sure to check for your registration or anything that might have had your home address on it (maybe even double check if you had a garage door opener). Many thieves have simply broke into cars obtain a home address and possibly nab (or not) the garage door opener and then they come to you for more.

Hope you have a great summer of riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hey! awesome...glad you were able to recover the car. It is nearly untouched! Say what you will about meth addicts...or maybe heroin addicts, they are not interested in stripping a car. Yes, it super sucks...but lots of good things to take away from this perhaps...as you have already learned of course. I'm not trying to be annoying and tell you sh!t that I know you have learned and committed to future planning. Take care,

mtbr member
    Simple rule for me: They can't drive it away if they can't get it started.