mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Camping recommendation

I'm looking for a campground recommendation for next weekend. My favorite spot is Waldo Lake, but there are a few to many mosquitoes this time of year. So I'm looking for something similar but without so many blood suckers.

Requirements:

Lake with a low speed limit or non motorized, for swimming canoeing
    biking trails close by
    Ideally would have toilets
    low mosquito population
    within 2.5 hrs of Corvallis

Any recommendations?

Thanks

SS93

newfydog
    May 2009
    This is a heck of a mosquito year. Friends were recently eaten and carried away by the buggers at Hart Mountain, normally a dry, bug free spot. I tried to take a leak near the put in for big eddy on the deschutes river and barely escaped with what I had in my hand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Lol

Not what I was hoping to hear.

I'm currently looking at Diamond lake or Lemolo. Anyone have experience with either of these?

Afric Pepperbird
    Any lake in Oregon right now = mucho skeeters.

You can always swim/canoe/kayak the Deschutes River. Skeeters would be at a minimum.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Speed limit at Lemolo Lake is 40 mph and Diamond Lake is 10 mph.

Diamond Lake has a paved bike trail around the lake. Lemolo Lake is right next to the North Umpqua Trail.

Both have toilets. Diamond Lake has showers.

The mosquitoes weren't terrible at Diamond Lake last weekend. That doesn't necessarily mean much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mwpeterson
    Speed limit at Lemolo Lake is 40 mph and Diamond Lake is 10 mph.

Diamond Lake has a paved bike trail around the lake. Lemolo Lake is right next to the North Umpqua Trail.

Both have toilets. Diamond Lake has showers.

The mosquitoes weren't terrible at Diamond Lake last weekend. That doesn't necessarily mean much.
    Thanks for the lowdown. Is there a campground that you'd recommend at Diamond? We'll be tent camping and may have a canoe with us.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The best one is Diamond Lake Campground. It can fill up though. Broken Arrow tends to have more mosquitoes.

mtbr member
    Just got back from Diamond Lake, I have around 50 bites on me. It was awful!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well we ended up trying Waldo and the skeeters were as bad as I thought they would be and the bug juice didn't help as much as I thought it would (DEET only recommended). We left Waldo the next day and were headed home when we decided to stop in at Black Canyon (few miles west of Oakridge) and ended up staying there Saturday night. Ended up with a great spot on the river (went swimming to get all the grime and bug juice off), only a few bugs, and had a great time despite the 100+ bites between the 4 of us.

Lesson learned.

SS93

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelstump93
    Well we ended up trying Waldo and the skeeters were as bad as I thought they would be and the bug juice didn't help as much as I thought it would (DEET only recommended). We left Waldo the next day and were headed home when we decided to stop in at Black Canyon (few miles west of Oakridge) and ended up staying there Saturday night. Ended up with a great spot on the river (went swimming to get all the grime and bug juice off), only a few bugs, and had a great time despite the 100+ bites between the 4 of us.

Lesson learned.

SS93
    I always stay at Black Canyon and swim in the river every morning before riding the trails near Oakridge - that's the way to do it if you ask me!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!