mtbr member
    May 2013

Camping near Phil's trail

any suggestions of a campsite near Phil's trail system outside of bend? I'm looking for something rustic private. maybe a fire ring, table, vault toilet. that sort of thing. thx

mtbr member
    tumalo state park, or any of the CG's off of the cascade lakes highway. Go to that gov site?

mtbr member
    Deschutes National Forest is open to camping (i.e. dispersed camping). I've heard that you can stay in one location/campsite for up to (2) weeks. Not sure about the fire situation though - most likely contingent upon fire danger level.

Here's a link that provides some insights to camping within the Deshutes National Forest:
    Deschutes
    Last edited by jjMarS; 05-24-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: More info included
    jjMarS

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Tumalo State Park is the only nearby developed campground but it's neither rustic nor private (and not really that close to Phil's, for that matter). You'll probably be elbow to elbow with other campers on a busy weekend.

If you want to find a place in the trees just off of the Wanoga sno-park there are toilets available in the parking lot. No picnic tables that I can recall seeing though.

Does anyone know if camping is permitted near any of the river access points off of Conklin Rd.? I've never seen tents anywhere.

The next closest developed camping I can think of is past Mt. Bachelor, like at Devil's Lake and Sparks Lake.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Tumalo State Park is the only nearby developed campground but it's neither rustic nor private (and not really that close to Phil's, for that matter). You'll probably be elbow to elbow with other campers on a busy weekend.

If you want to find a place in the trees just off of the Wanoga sno-park there are toilets available in the parking lot. No picnic tables that I can recall seeing though.

Does anyone know if camping is permitted near any of the river access points off of Conklin Rd.? I've never seen tents anywhere.

The next closest developed camping I can think of is past Mt. Bachelor, like at Devil's Lake and Sparks Lake.
    Camping is prohibited from Conklin road to the river.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know if it's legal but people always camp up the gravel forest roads past the Phil's trailhead. Don't make a mess.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by waterflow View Post
    I don't know if it's legal but people always camp up the gravel forest roads past the Phil's trailhead. Don't make a mess.
    It's legal.

Actually I'm not sure exactly what the OP is looking for though. Rustic but with fire rings, tables, and toilets? Tables and toilets sounds more developed than the dispersed camping. Can you clarify?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Go through the gate at Phil's, there are a few places down there to camp. A couple of campsites are a stones throw from Marvin's. There is at least one witha fire pit. No tables, and toilets are at the TH for your morning ritual. Just hope some a-hole from the forest service doesn't lock the gate after 9:00 at night without checking to see if anyone is camping down there, which happened to me (and several others) a few weeks ago

Afric Pepperbird
    My favorite dispersed site, sans picnic table and pit toilet, is at Kiwa Springs. The spring water comes right out of a pipe in the rocks, and is deeee-lish!

If you go there, please don't trash it; don't shoot random objects and leave the trash behind. I'm always picking up after yahoos there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think lil' stink is mentioning my favorite early season (late June) spot about a mile past the gate and right by Marvin's. Love that spot. Great view in the morning while having the first cup of coffee. May still be some remnants of the guitar case behind the roacks that are perfect for sun showers spread out....

The intel coming for Baker City/La Grande, etc is looking good. So, maybe next year I'll be back there.

Another good spot is up off the red road (300) near Whoops. Though the really good spot right next to Whoops where you could raise a glass and hoot back as riders went by got closed up....