mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Building new trails - advice needed

I'm thinking about beginning some new single track trail building in the central coast area. There's not much (really any) there right now. I want something close to Lincoln City and Pacific City. There's plenty of land. So, my question is:

OTHER than contacting the counties (Tillamook and Lincoln) - if state land,
    or
    obtaining permission from the land owners, what steps should I take? (I'm looking for specific details here, never built a trail before)

I don't have resources for aerial, so google earth will have to suffice for planning.

Do I walk it out? or just take a pick and a shovel and create it as I go?
    I'm interested in building a couple of XC, with some downhill, and some features, a good long all around ride.

any advice is greatly appreciated!
    (and offers of help will be welcome too!)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would suggest you go to one of the IMBA's trailbuilding schools. The next one will be in Ashland in a couple of weeks.

http://go.imba.com/ashland

DOD Member
    Attending the IMBA event is great advice! You can learn not only the mechanics of design, but how to contact and hopefully gain the cooperation of landowners/managers.
    MaxSteel

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks for the link!
    I can't make it that weekend, but at least I can contact them and find out more info.
    Last edited by tinyE; 08-31-2009 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    you can talk to the people on http://westsidetrailfederation.org/ or http://nw-trail.org/ and see if they have any words of advice. Depending on what area you're thinking about and what time of year you'll be working on this if you can make it happen I might be able to help. I live in Portland full time, but am down at the coast for at least 2 days a week in Neskowin b/c I am a volunteer at Nestucca Fire

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    dont get caught

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One guy here in Tucson built an illegal ski run on Mt Lemmon cutting down 12 trees after contacting the forest service and getting turned down. He served 3 years in JAIL!
    Don't take his route.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Use those little flags that you can get at Homey Depot and other hardware stores to map out your route before hacking at it. You could try a map and GPS to make target destinations, and then make the trail conform to the land however it needs to get to your planned points.

Then walk it, and imagine it at speed. You'll often find that your natural instinct is to make corners too tight, and climbs too steep.

Make/design the first trail too easy, get help doing the labor, and plan for what the weather and riders will do to the trail.

When it comes time to actually start cutting it in, you'll have a better idea of what you need.

You are on the right track, keep asking, and those that know may chime in. I hopefully haven't mis informed you in any way, it's just how I would go about transferring an idea to layout of the trail.