mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Brown's Camp / Wilson River Trails

Given the amount of rain we've had here in the past week how long does it normally take this area to dry out enough to be rideable without worry of damaging the trails?

thanks

Matt

mtbr member
    Next summer.

The Wilson River Trail should be good almost all winter, unless there's snow. The trails around Brown's camp typically don't dry out but the stuff on the north side of hwy 6 is usually good to ride most of the winter, again, unless there's snow.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

MattSavage
    They're super slick right now with all the leaves that came down in the last couple weeks.... I should have filmed my ride, titled "Fast and Furious: Tillamook Drift" It's soooo greasy in there right now.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Obviously Single

Greasy and leafy

I agree that the trails are very greasy and leafy right now.

I rode weekend before last (about 7 days ago), and though it was a decent day I could barely tell where the trails where located from all the leaves.

The few spots that get muddy on the North side of the highway are indeed muddy now.

I'd suggest Wilson River Trail now, perhaps from Diamond Mill to Foot Bridge ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the info. Hopefully we can get a few days of no rain here soon so that things can dry out a bit. Unfortunately the weather forecast doesn't look to promising at the moment.

Thanks

Matt

Obviously Single

Banks-Vernonia Bike Path?

I know, I know -- a bike path is not an MTB ride.

But when the weather gets extra greasy I've been known to head over to the southern end of the Banks-Vernonia bike path and ride it. It can handle anything but deep snow (since it's a mixture of gravel with some pavement). It's a pretty constant 3% max climb up towards Vernonia, and therefore a nice easy coast/pedal back down.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Holy smokes Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    I know, I know -- a bike path is not an MTB ride.

But when the weather gets extra greasy I've been known to head over to the southern end of the Banks-Vernonia bike path and ride it. It can handle anything but deep snow (since it's a mixture of gravel with some pavement). It's a pretty constant 3% max climb up towards Vernonia, and therefore a nice easy coast/pedal back down.
    It's gotta be alot quicker to drive up here than to head over to Vernonia for a ride. What part of 40 miles of singletrack is less attractive than 20 miles of gravel?
    Local trails are sweet all winter long here, and in case we get feet of snow like last winter, I'm building up the Vulture on 3" Gazzi's for some float.
    come up 'n ride,
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Calm like a Bomb
    Where would be some other spots that would be better during this time of year? I will be in Portland for a week starting the 20th

Obviously Single

Good job! It was just a suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    It's gotta be alot quicker to drive up here than to head over to Vernonia for a ride. What part of 40 miles of singletrack is less attractive than 20 miles of gravel?
    Local trails are sweet all winter long here, and in case we get feet of snow like last winter, I'm building up the Vulture on 3" Gazzi's for some float.
    come up 'n ride,
    bob
    Bob-ster! Dude!

It was just a suggestion. These days I don't normally ride on bike paths unless I am hosting a beginner (like my dad or my wife).

If it's raining cats and dogs (an alarmingly common occurrence) then I ride on the pavement and dirt roads around my house. If it's anything less than drencher I haul my lazy a$$ over to Tillamook, my "home trails".

You going to have Harmonic Convergence this year?

Send me a PM and I'd love to come ride with you some weekend. I'd be glad to return the favor. (We don't get to make our own trails in Tillamook Forest, but there are some nice trails anyway.)
    The Lee-Man