The Dude Abides

brown's camp hunting/gun shots

in some of the reviews of this trail the riders say they heard gun shots while riding. Is it from hunting or is there a shooting range near by, or just some locals doing traget practice? I was thinking of checking it out this weekend, but getting shot would really be a bummer.
    Any body got any input?

Thanks
    This aggression will not stand, man.

Riding is good.
    Mar 2005

Probably just shootin'

Hunting season is basically over. There may be a cougar season--which I am strongly opposed to--right now and people might be hunting coyote, although I don't know if either animal are hunted in that area. But deer and elk season is long gone. I'm not sure if those trails are on national forest land or not, but if they are, people are allowed to shoot there and certainly do. Get some blaze orange and yell a lot.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    in some of the reviews of this trail the riders say they heard gun shots while riding. Is it from hunting or is there a shooting range near by, or just some locals doing traget practice? I was thinking of checking it out this weekend, but getting shot would really be a bummer.
    Any body got any input?

Thanks
    I think a and c in your choices above. They are "usually" off trail though as the trails are mixed use. I hope it is dry enough out there. I usually don't ride there in the winter. I save it for the months of late June through mid September.
    Tuff Schist

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    They are "usually" off trail though as the trails are mixed use.
    Remind me sometime to tell everyone about the time I was pinned down adjacent to the targets that the casual weekend shooters placed next to the main singletrack...

Oh, and there was the time some trials motorcyclists rode right through our firing range while we were plinking cans. I wonder if they were wondering why strawberry soda cans were exploding all around them...

AAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!
    I'm pretty sure that the statistics on the subject show that hunters only shoot each other. You'll be fine. I think it's only target practice out there, there are several gravel pits that are good for it. It doesn't make sense to try hunting there due to all the gunfire. No animal's going stick around for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

guns

Yes on the rock pit. It's a very popular place to target shoot.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by CampLemur
    Hunting season is basically over. There may be a cougar season--which I am strongly opposed to--
    As your appear opposed to keeping the cougar population under control I have taken the liberty of signing you up on the "Cougar Chow" list to keep them all from starving and killing people who don't like them.

Thanks for your sacrifice to expand the cougar population...

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

shootin'

i have been shot at a number of times, i have taken to putting bells on the bike to keep my presence known during hunting season. the most exciting was when i was bombing a closed and overgrown road that had become a "trail" and rounded the last bit and came upon a group of shooters who were just starting to open fire on thier empties. i was sure glad that they were not using the shotgun yet as i would have been toast. the bullets that whizzed past me were a .270 and a.45 auto, i found this out after we all greeted and exchanged our mutual surprize at my arrival. i wound up putting a few rounds through the guns they shot at me with and having a beer with them as this was thier form of an apology. very strange indeed, drinking bud and shooting with a trio of rednecks while wearing cycling shoes. the weirdest thing was i could see the bullets coming at me, a kind of shiny stripe through the air. the lesson here was, know where the shooting galleries are with respect to your trails and jingle, jingle, jingle.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by crashomatic
    the weirdest thing was i could see the bullets coming at me, a kind of shiny stripe through the air.
    Whoa, that's pretty wild! Is your real name Neo, Trinity or Morpheus? It's something I hope to never experience myself though.

Always Breaking Stuff
    I don't think you have too much to worry about. I have heard people shooting out there many times, but if you are staying on the beaten trail that seems to keep you out of range. At least I haven't seen any bullets wizzing by the times I have heard em shooting.

Now getting run down by a 4x or dirt bike on those road crossings is another story.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    yep, most of the time I ride there, including yesterday, there is gunfire. It freaked me out at first because I didn't know where it was coming from. Like someone else said, it has been at the rock pit. I notice that some $#(&*%#s were riding their motorcycles on the hiking and biking trails. I could see tire tracks.

The trail was 95% rideable yesterday, except for a couple of areas where a stream and the trail became one. Neither I nor my bike were very muddy.

friend of preston
    Jan 2006

no my name is not any of those

in the right light you can see them coming, just a wink of reflected light. have someone you trust put a few by you, you'll see. I know it sounds weird and I don't mean to freak you out, but it's true.
    He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.- Dr. Samuel Johnson